Lanzarote january 2013

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Lanzarote january 2013

El mirador del Rio,a place designed by Cesar Manrique.From the top one can see Graciosa island.

Comment

Comment

The Canarian painter Cesar Manrique was born in Lanzarote, and after a carrier in New-York during the 50’s he returned to his island where he worked until he died in 1992.
        He worked at the protection of Lanzarote, in an ecological way, trying to avoid the destructive tourist development of the other islands. His action was almost a success. Only few spots are built, mostly on the east coast, always in a Canarian style, never higher than three floors (few exceptions though).
        At the same time he developed his own work of painter, sculptor, designer and architect.
        He imagined and built his house under a lava field where he received his guests, Dali, Miro, and other creators of this time which is nowadays a place we can visit.

Comment

The lava field coming inside through the window

The red living room...

...and the orange one

Comment

Mosaics in the garden

Mobil scuptures

Comment

Comment

This house is impressing. Such a lot of good ideas. For sure this kind of climate is right for the diplayed Seat. Most of them corroded away quite quick in our area.
                Some of my friends are aslo recommending Lanzarote very much. But i miss plants, woods, waterfalls -- and more modest temperatures. But thank you for posting this report. I never heard about this artist before and his work is wonderful.
                Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

SALINAS DE JANUBIO

Fishing was always important in Lanzarote.In order to supply in salt the boats working alond the African coast, islanders developped saltmarshes,giving a look of chessboard to few parts of the landscape.
                  Nowadays,one can see it mostly in Janubio.Unfortunately,when I was there,the squares fo water were unicolor,but sometimes they are blue,pink, green due to the process of evaporation.

Comment

Comment

On the west coast Los Herviederos is a volcanic cliff beaten by the waves,a very thrilling place where one can see the deep contrast between the black of lava,the blue of ocean and the white of foam.
                      Beyond, close to the tiny village El Golfo, la Laguna Verde is a ten metres deep lagoon rich in the semi-precious stone olivine wich gives his green color to the water.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

So glad to see more on this thread now you have got your photo issue sorted.
                              #25/1. The rocks and the colours - absolutely loved it. #26/3 is another favourite. Oh and #27/1 with the incredible green. And then the delight of seeing some of the stone as building blocks around that window in the last photo.

Comment

I have at last made time to study this thread properly. I was delighted to see the map which started it off, Yves, and what a follow-up with the first photo at #2.1, that simple but arresting landscape, beautifully composed. #3.2 - in those strong shapes I can almost feel the sense of achievement at nearing the top of this mountain and seeing the view below, while in such contrast is the next image at #4 with its delicacy of hue and shape and the line of trees leading out of the picture to the left.
                                You said, when speaking of the vineyards, "...the landscape given rhythm by low walls protecting plantations...", and that is such a telling description of the photos that follow. Beautiful, as is #7, which has its own rhythm, but one completely the opposite of that of the vineyards.
                                Just two other areas I must mention, although the whole thread is a delight. One is of Cesar Manrique's house which I find delightful. I love that photo of the open window space with the lava still in place, it reminds me of scrambling about on Iceland's lava fields, a few specimens of which I still treasure. The other which interested me was the saltmarshes, where you mention the different colours sometimes visible as the salt dries out. I learned that the same can be seen on the Yarra Yarra Salt Lake in Western Australia, my photos of which I have posted elsewhere.
                                Oh, I haven't mentioned #28.2. That window and the close-up of the lava blocks! Mmmmm-mmmm-m!
                                Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                                Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Working...
                                X