This is Vietnam

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: This is Vietnam

A street view of what used to be the main street in Saigon, now named Dong Khori:

To get a better view we went up to the 8th Floor Bar in the Majestic Hotel.
    From where the intersection looked like this:

Comment

But first some more pictures of the river front:

A Hydrofoil arriving from Vung Tau:

Comment

A river barge sailing passed loaded with containers:

The Dinner Cruisers starting to arrive for the night's business:

Comment

The main entertainment was to watch the traffic from this vantage point.
          Here a still picture of the Zebra crossing:

Here is a video to show what it was like: http://youtu.be/DxLKwEIyBDM

Comment

A different view:
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-saeAyvApA

A short night shot of the same junction:
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZvUYtQ77pA

That was the end. No accidents or incidents, but a million near misses observed during 1.5 hrs. of watching the traffic at this junction.

This also ends this report. We flew back to Singapore the next morning, but our sons stayed behind and visited the tunnels the next day.
            The verdict was; OK, but too touristy.

PS> There is even rumors that the tunnels have been widened and made higher to accommodate the large size of the visitors.
            Last edited by ombugge; February 3rd, 2013, 12:25.

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
              Aren't these former Russian-built hydrofoils?
              With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
              Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                Aren't these former Russian-built hydrofoils?
                Yes, all former Volga Hydrofoils.

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                  Yes, all former Volga Hydrofoils.
                  Dear ombugge,

Thank you so much for your quick reply. I do recall there was a similar looking one operating out of Saint Thomas, USVI, in the mid-90's as well. They were also made in Russia.
                  With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                  Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Reviving this thread.
                    I visited Vung Tau in Vietnam earlier this week, but did not take a lot of pictures.

The Hydrofoil route from Saigon to Vung Tau, which I have always used in the passed, is no more.
                    Apparently there have been a serious fire on one of the Hydorfoils, thus all got banned due to poor standard of maintenance and high risk.
                    It used to be that some Companies did not allow their Senior Employees and Contractor Personnel to go by road, only by Hydrofoil.

This time I endured a 3 hour road trip from Tan Son Nhut Airport in HCM City and a 2 1/2 hr. return trip by road. Luckily in a comfortable SUV, not a cramped Minibus.
                    The roads have improved for most of the stretch since last I did the road trip, which is many years ago.

Now here is Downtown Vung Tau as seen from Cap St. Jaquest Anchorage. (Or actulally on the way out there):

Rich suburbs along the coast at Saigon River Mouth:

A new Museum under construction:

Reminds me of a Ski jumping hill.

Maybe I should put this under Fishing Boats?:

No. not due to the ones that is up on the ruined breakwater, but the one paddling below.

The Zebra crossings at the new 4-lane Coast Road leave something to be desired:

Imperial Hotel in the background.

Viewed from the opposite side:

What is wrong with this?? Well, the Zebra crossing ends in a hedge and a scrub bed, with no access to the pavement beyond.
                    Also, it only reach across two lanes. No stripes painted across the lanes in the other direction.
                    It probably doesn't matter much, since nobody use or respects Zebra crossing anyway. (No Zebras in Vietnam what???)

The guests at Imperial Hotel has an overhead pedestrian bridge to the Beach Club, but it is not much in use either.

Comment

In my young and tender days there were nothing across the river from Saigon, now new residential blocks are sprouting everywhere:

This is just one of the development seen on the trip back to the Airport.

One thing that doesn't change is the number of motorbike, mopeds and scooters on the roads:

The numerous cables and wires stretched from pole to pole, or along the house facades has not changed either.

This fellow traveled alongside us for a long time along one of the better stretches of road from Vung Tau.
                      Sometime he was ahead, sometimes behind, but he was at a steady speed and totally expressionless:

Anything can be transported on a motorbike:

Comment

Working...
                      X