X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is Vietnam

I know we already have a thread about going to Vietnam, but nothing directly from Vietnam.

Since we are here now and there is likely to be some pictures from Hanoi, Hoa Long, Danang, Hoi An and Saigon in the not too far future, I'll start this thread with a picture of the traffic here in Hanoi:

This is NOTHING compared to Saigon in the rush hours, but it can serve as an opening statement.
    Last edited by ombugge; December 29th, 2012, 14:39.

Re: This is Vietnam

For good measure, the main train track from Hanoi heading south to Danang and HCM is running through densely populated areas within the city:

The Mausoleum for Uncle Ho Chi Minh in Hanoi:

More traffic pictures from Hanoi:
    Last edited by ombugge; December 29th, 2012, 18:22. Reason: add pics.

Comment

The Reunification Express passing through Hanoi on the way to Saigon/HCM at 2100 hrs. tonight:

Seen on the same level crossing as shown on the picture in #2/1.

The distance to Saigon is >1,700 Km. ETA is in the morning 3 days from now.
      Last edited by ombugge; December 29th, 2012, 17:54.

Comment

The tower at the War Museum in Hanoi:

Comment

Scooter-land, isn't it! And amazing to see the railway line running between houses on such a narrow street. This will be a very interesting trip to watch, Ombugge.
          Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
          Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Another fascinating travel thread (I’ve just been reading wherrygirl’s Australian journey) and to a country I know so little about –for too long the word “Vietnam” merely prompted the word “war” I suppose.

I’m particularly drawn to those photos of the railway line, and that evocative night train image. Also the mix of old and new looking down from your hotel window in that other thread.

Looking forward to the continuation.

Comment

A teaser.

Y'll know about Bicycle Shops, but what about "shop on bike":

The shop keeper just stopped to buy some fresh meat from a street vendor.
              Last edited by ombugge; January 2nd, 2013, 09:24.

Comment

Fishing boats on West Lake, Hanoi:

Golf driving range, West Lake, Hanoi:

When land is at a premium you just put out a barrier and some range markers in the lake and, BINGO, you have a driving range.
                An old lady catching either fish or golf balls in the middle of the range, I don't know which.

Comment

Fisherman in West Lake, Hanoi:

"Swans" on West Lake, Hanoi:

"Swan nest" at the lake:

It is winter and cold so not too many takers on an ordinary Monday.

Comment

It must be quite a sight in good weather when all the "swans" are out! And I'd love to see that chap on his shop-bike, too. Incredible. I remember that photo you had of a multi-passenger scooter, I can't quite remember where it was now.
                    Last edited by wherrygirl; January 1st, 2013, 13:56.
                    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
                      It must be quite a sight in good weather when all the "swans" are out! And I'd love to see that chap on his shop-bike, too. Incredible. I remember that photo you had of a multi-passenger scooter, I can't quite remember where it was now.
                      The "chap" was actually female (the one who's bargening over the price of a slice of pork)
                      There are a lot of incredible sights involving scooters here, including other types of "shops on bike" and up to 5 persons on a bike.
                      Last edited by ombugge; January 1st, 2013, 14:10.

Comment

More from the train line through Hanoi. This time as seen from the train as it moves through the streets.
                        No pictures from the stretch seen in #3 above as the train was moving too fast.
                        Here, moving parallel to a main road:

Comment

The next morning we passed through Hue.
                          Not much different there, the train passed through town with residents and shops on either side:

As we approached Danang the South China Sea came into view:

A view of the front of our train as the track wound along the foreland just North of Danang:

A wet and fertile scenery along the track:

The NE Monsoon is putting up a bit of surf along China Beach:

Comment

I like this thread very much. Again it is so interesting to see everyday scenes of a foreign country. And yes, this train line through the city is one of the most interesting of the world, i watched several TV reports about it, each time interesting again.
                            Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

As you may have guessed by now this year's Family X-mas and New Year reunion was in Johor Baru and Vietnam. (A change from last year, when we were in Aalesund)
                              The Johor part did not produce a lot of pictures or posts as it was mainly taken up by family visits and a few excursions in the near vicinity.

After X-mas we first went to Hanoi to visit a God daughter who lives there, then to Ha Long to see the famous Halong Bay. None of us had ever been to any of these places before.

From there we returned to Hanoi and took an overnight train to Danang, a town I last visited in 1968 (under very different circumstances) and did not find anything recognizable, except the port area.

From there we flew to Ho Chi Min City, a place I have visited many times and over many years, but it was the first time for my wife and sons.

I will be posting some sequential pictures from this trip as time permits. (I have some 600 pictures, but will make a selection)
                              Last edited by ombugge; January 9th, 2013, 18:05.

Comment

Working...
                              X