No announcement yet.

This is Wiltshire

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yes the time off joy is comming again. see batteling there boats through the canal and locks
    best regards Thijs

Comment

Thanks both for the comments.

J-O, yes, my D750 has a 28-300mm lens on it. It's not perfect, but neither is my photography, so it's easier to have one lens than change. Those canal shots are usually taken on a long zoom to try to crunch things together!

Thijs - the best bit is watching the hire boats on pick-up day, people that aren't used to them just rattle down the canal bouncing off everything on either side of the canal!
      Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Beautiful summer photos from the canal with lots of people and boats.

Looking forward to getting such conditions here north also with green grass and beautiful flowers.

Comment

Just to demonstrate that I'm still alive, here are a few photos from the past few months on the canal. Not all strictly from Wiltshire, but let's not worry too much about a couple of miles.

Not everything on the canal is pristine and picture-perfect, but I suspect that some of these that look rough on the outside are very much loved and cared for. This one was parked in the basin at Dundas in March-time.

On the same day, looking along the Kennet & Avon canal towards Bath and Bristol. Even in March there are plenty of boats moving, although the big flight of locks at Caen Hill (more on that later) was closed at that point in the year.

Into April and a very similar front view (same hire company), but this time poddling into the lock at Bradford on Avon.

And into the lock with less damage than may have been expected!

Walking from Bradford and west takes us to the pemanently moored boats (and expensive motorbikes). The damaged boat was swamped by a reckless group of day boaters the previous year, but the people on the canal clubbed together to help the chap affected, although it will be a long time before his barge is back to liveable.

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

• wherrygirl
            wherrygirl commented
            Editing a comment
            What a disaster for the owner of the damaged boat. But also how heartwarming for the others who were determined to help out. Bet they'll all have a great and well-deserved party when the owner has completed the restoration.

Into May and the spring is on its way. Loads of boats - and a birthday party - at Bradford.

Some weird and wonderful things to see in the beautifully kept gardens alongside the canal.

A bit further east and to today at Caen Hill - the glorious flight of locks that allow the boats to climb sharply on the otherwise largely flat canal as it wends its way between the Bristol Avon at Bath and the River Kennet near Newbury, which eventually joins the Thames and completes the 18th Century link between London and Bristol. Not hugely busy today, but a few boats working their way through.

Looking uphill it gets a little more daunting!

The boats are a mixture of privately owned boats - some of them are lived on all year around, others live in the various marinas or berths ready to be used when their owners fancy a break - and hire boats. The one coming towards us is one of the private ones, and it is beautifully kept.

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

And finally, a few of the residents of the canal that don't need a houseboat to survive.

Bath time at the creche this morning.

And this cheeky chap-ess posed for us at Dundas last weekend.

"Hi - have you seen how beautiful I am?"

"Hang on just a sec, let me move a little .."

"... so that you can see me properly and tell me how lovely I am. Feel free to take as many photos as you like."

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

• yvneac
              yvneac commented
              Editing a comment
              Your spoken duck is perfect Mark. Quack-quack!

• janihudi
              janihudi commented
              Editing a comment
              Always nice if they play the game

• Tommi
              Tommi commented
              Editing a comment
              The perfect model!

Great pictures of these canal boats, PoloUK
            And lovely portrait pictures of the bird.
            It seems eager to show off its best side.
            Best wishes from Bengt Domben

Comment

• PoloUK
              PoloUK commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks Bengt - our boats are a little smaller and less exciting than the ones you take (superb) photos of and share with us!

Yes, it was about time we had a return visit to Caen Hill - I've been getting withdrawal symptoms. All your images are delightful, Mark, and I never tire of seeing the canal goings-on. But I have to admit to a big chuckle at that last one, the coy tilt of the head just makes it!
            Last edited by wherrygirl; May 26th, 2019, 16:48.
            Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
            Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Thanks Yves, Thijs and Ivy.

Yes, the duck was very cute - and she knew it!
              Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Thank you for putting back that on our list again, we have to come over some day and rent one of those. Nice!
                Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Miss Quacking-Gorgeous managed to totally distract me from canal and locks! Actually it's perhaps as well I have so little free time this week or you'd be getting a lavishly-illustrated cartoon/story about how the glamorous duck seduced Polo into taking photos of her in the hope he'd post them on a forum she'd been wanting to infiltrate and investigate for some time... She'd heard scarcely believable rumours that a ridiculous and un-photogenic WOODEN seagull sometimes turned up there!

Comment

I have some friends who rented a boat like this to travel on the canals during their holiday, quite a few years back now, but anyway.
                    They told me I should try it some day, but for now, I will enjoy other boat crews pictures and stories. It looks great though, for a cool guy who know his way thorugh all the unwritten rules and regulations of the "highway".
                    Did you meet Poirot (David Suchet)?
                    He and his wife are dedicated canal boaters, and sail around whenever they can.
                    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Good to hear from you all!

Ralf - good to hear, I do my best for local tourism!

Cecilia - funny! I like the idea of the duck having web access (!?!)

Svein - not sure there are too many rules on the canal, just to keep away from the 'day boats'! Didn't meet David Suchet, or any of the other famous canal devotees, for example the actors Timothy West and Prunella Scales (Sybil in Fawlty Towers) who have made several series of programmes about the canals in the UK - and much further abroad, including the Göta Canal.
                      Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                    X