No announcement yet.

This is Wiltshire

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winter is definitely here for the plants - the skeletons of this year's plants paying a sombre tribute to their glory of a few months ago.

I walked down to the bottom of the flight, near the village of Rowde.

Where just one boat was staring up the flight - a couple of hours of hard work ahead of its crew.

With very little movement of water and no wind to talk of, the reflections would have suited M Monet!

Whilst at the top the peculiarly UK habit of hoiking fish out of the water, keeping them for a couple of hours, then putting them back in again was in full swing. Plenty of very expensive bits of fibreglass in action here.

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

• Tommi
      Tommi commented
      Editing a comment
      #211:6 such fantastic reflections.

Good to see you back in action in Wilts., Mark.
    When I looked at #210.1 I stared at those reed-heads (are they?) at the water's edge and at first thought they were dead squirrels hanging up on the trees. When I lived in Beaulieu we would see them all over the New Forest - the keepers often used to do that supposedly as a deterrent to other squirrels. We used to call them "keepers' larders". However, looking more carefully at your photo, I soon saw that each straggly grey thingie had a stalk!
    That picture following is just shot silk, perfect. Perfect also are those in #211. Really lovely, all of them, Mark.
    The sun may have been well up, but that frost at the locks was holding on, wasn't it!
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Thanks Ivy. Nah - no mammals hurt in the process of creating those images, but I know what you mean - bits of Wales and the North do that too don't they.

It was warm in the sun, and definitely not out of it.
      Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Just to prove I'm still here - some photos from Bradford on Avon this morning.

Had a horribly hectic few weeks, and as Ivy has mentioned, the weather hasn't been fantastic. Things are improving now though, and it's starting to be fun to go out and take the camera with us again.

So - a random collection.

Firstly - you are here.

Tea and teacake in the Kennet & Avon Canal Trust's beautiful tea garden - wonderful borders bursting with colourful flowers - and quite a view.

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Looking across towards the dry dock, the coal boat was moored up for the weekend.

And plenty of boats going through the lock. We have a sort of very slow tidal movement here associated with the hire-boat changeover days, so on a Sunday most things seem to be moving east to west.

Apart from this one ...

Loads and loads of bikes and pedestrians fighting for space on the towpath, and plenty of interesting looking barges moored up.

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

I think I've mentioned before my fascination with what people keep on the roofs of the privately-owned boats - I suppose similar to the attics of us less mobile people. Quite a few plants, buckets, wheelbarrows - and plenty of other things - to choose from today!

And even a rather out of scale boat on a boat!

Even the signs and 'things hanging off buildings' are quite cute in Bradford ...

Back home now - need to tame the garden.
            Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

• yvneac
              yvneac commented
              Editing a comment
              All this "bric-a-brac" on the roofs is enjoyable.A kind of sediments of a life...

• wherrygirl
              wherrygirl commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh Yves! Sediment?? No,surely these bits and pieces are not the detritus of life. They are essentials, man. They must get used - sometimes! Though I must admit that I'm a bit stumped at that wire arch thingie.

Lovely atmosphere Mark, thank you for posting!

Comment

Lovely to get back to the canals, Mark, and see the re-awakening of life there - plus the bonus of those things-on-roofs.
              I hope the garden taming operation is successful.
              Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
              Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Spring or early summer, and back to the canal - this was in fact last weekend, not so warm and sunny today.

Bradford on Avon, and to start with tea and teacake in the Kennet & Avon Canal Trust's tearoom, with a great view over the lock.

Funny time of year with tulips and some of the summer plants all rejoicing in the sunshine.

Plenty of boats on the move through the lock - both private and hire boats.

A little further along there was a little downy flotilla.

Even closer close up.

Whilst along the towpath a slightly older family was enjoying siesta time.

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

All was fairly serene a little further out of town.

Although some of the hire boats were in less than competent hands.

The commotion of that was almost enough to wake up the feathery fender of one of the moored boats.

Further down the hill and the river was also looking good.

The old mills.

And looking back up the hill to the nice houses (if you don't mind having to traipse up or down a hill every time you go anywhere!).

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

• nari
                    nari commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Thanks, Mark for a glimpse into a way of life unique, I suspect, to English canals.
                    I am always amazed by the green-ness (sic) of most of the UK.

• Ralf__
                    Ralf__ commented
                    Editing a comment
                    As i look at #220/2: Seeing, where the man in the right boat is steering to, is indeed less than competent. Man!

We've been to the ancient site of Avebury before in this thread - but I don't think we have been in the winter.

This 6000 year old ancient site is a much, much bigger site than the more famous Stonehenge. Plenty about it here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avebury

On a very cold and frosty morning the blue of the sky was contrasting rather nicely with the grey of the stones, the green of the grass and the white of the frost.

This little fella was enjoying the view too.

Plenty to look at - all very weird and mysterious.

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

• yvneac
                    yvneac commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Nice shots Mark. It reminds me a delightful winter morning in Carnac years ago.(with a robin as an extra gift).

Very nice photos and the landscape is so.... ehhh... how to put it into the right words.... (?)... soothing. There is such an aura of the past, there is such a presence in the place, as seen hough your photos above. If I ever end up at that side of the world some time, this will be a must-do stop for me.
                  With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                  Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

A landscape that seems to me so very suited to the Polo photographic style - and then made extra special by the frost where the sun hasn’t reached. Lovely.

Comment

Summer's come here in the south west of England. We didn't have a spring. Just a winter followed by a summer. Current bets are for autumn to arrive by mid-June.

We toddled to Bradford on Avon to watch the world go by, and to enjoy a bacon bap (bread roll) at the cafe by the lock.

I can't post any more Bradford photos on my own blog, my family think we've moved there, so CVF it is!

Svitzer clearly adding the Kennet & Avon to their list of served waterways.

Not all the boats are the huge 72' monsters with the bow and stern in different time zones. There are some dinky little day boats - and indeed private boats - like these two.

The plastic barriers in the background are the result of someone who thought his van was a Ferrari last month. Unusually the bridge came off worse than the van.

A bit further along the towpath the usual combination of private boats, hippie boats, day boats, cyclists, families and dogs were merging. The gentleman boat-surfing at the top right was on one of the methanol fuelled day boats. Well the people on the boats are methanol fuelled.

​​​​​​​

The bluebells were blue - only clumps alongside the canal, we have other areas where there are drifts of them in the dappled shades of the woodland.

​​​​​​​

And even the tiles were sunbathing.

​​​​​​​
                      Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Happy times - summer is knocking on all our doors!

Love the look of the tug in your first image - it's good a very odd design I think. Almost like one of those cartoon tugs from Disney.

Image 3 in your post has the kind of picture-style I really like: I presume it's taken with a zoom? These kinds of images taken with zoom lenses has a very different crop/ style that I think looks really great.
                        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Working...
                        X