This is Wiltshire

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is Wiltshire

Well, I gave in. I end up with so many photos of local things that many of them - particularly photos of the Kennet and Avon Canal - have ended up in the wrong place.

Instead of trying to work out where things should go, I'll create a new thread - 'This is Wiltshire' - concentrating on the weird, wonderful and often beautiful things in this part of the south west of England. Whilst we lack the glamour of some of the other 'This is ...' threads, hopefully this one gives somewhere for something a little different - and a bit further from the sea than many of the threads!!

Today some canal photos (for a change!). These from a sunny, autumnal, and surprising day at Bradford on Avon - ancient wool town, and site of one of the locks on the K&A canal. Quite a lot going on today.

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Re: This is Wiltshire

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

This is going to be a really good thread, Mark. Your idea of gathering together and presenting all you see of Wiltshire is so much better than splitting the images up amongst various other threads. Glamour - well there's no knowing what you'll turn up, but I think this thread will be offering something different and of great interest - your portrait of a county. That one in #2.2 is so full of atmosphere, beautiful.
      About all I know of Wilts. is Salisbury, Avebury and that brief trip I organised on the Kennet and Avon canal. Shame on me. So I'm looking forward to more here.
      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Thanks for that Ivy - I really appreciate the encouragement. Hopefully I won't be the only one posting to this one, I'm sure that many of our CVF friends have photos of Stonehenge, Avebury - and even possibly the 'Magic Roundabout' in Swindon!! More to come soon.
        Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Charming place... and it is so wonderful to sit here and remember the summer we had, or didn't have!

More please, if you don't mind !
          With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
          Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
          Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
          Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
            More please, if you don't mind !
            Aye aye Captain! (Always wanted an excuse to say that!!).

So a few more - these from September this year - warm, sunny - all rather nice, so a day trip to Avebury. Huge stone circle that makes Stonehenge look like a bit of a DIY job. In around 2600BC, deep in the New Stone Age, the local inhabitants of the downs decided for whatever reason that they needed a Henge. Well, they certainly did a good job, and today thousands of visitors from all around the world visit this ancient site.

More info here:
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avebury

and

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/avebury/

The Sarsen stones themselves are magnificent, with lichens, mosses and the weather all adding to their charm, especially against a blue sky.

To me, these two look like friends.

But this one is lonely.

Some folk come to gain a deeper spiritual meaning from being close to the stones.

But these ones seem to think that the stones belong to them!

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Can't help thinking that there's a lovely, arty HDR photo waiting to come out with this one - now, where's my Photoshop book? - in the meantime, as it came off the camera.

This stone doesn't need Photoshop to make it look magnificent though.

Even the paths cut through the chalk take on an air of magic in the sunlight though.

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Hi Mark,
                this is indeed a nice start to a new thread. Looking forward to see more.

Comment

in the meantime, as it came off the camera.
                  Let Wiltshire shine through, Mark!
                  Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                  Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Interesting thread, more please

Comment

Originally posted by Gaelsail View Post
                      Interesting thread, more please
                      Absolutely Mark! –the south of England is an exotic location for many of us remember!
                      Good to see the canal so busy. And Avebury –imagine living in those houses in #6/3, so close to the stones that people come from far and wide to see.

Comment

Originally posted by PoloUK View Post
                        Aye aye Captain! (Always wanted an excuse to say that!!).

So a few more - these from September this year - warm, sunny - all rather nice, so a day trip to Avebury. Huge stone circle that makes Stonehenge look like a bit of a DIY job. In around 2600BC, deep in the New Stone Age, the local inhabitants of the downs decided for whatever reason that they needed a Henge. Well, they certainly did a good job, and today thousands of visitors from all around the world visit this ancient site.

More info here:
                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avebury
                        This was really interesting, especially since I think this was recently featured on the TV show Ancient Aliens.
                        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                        Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                        Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Another one of our local sites that I end up taking FAR too many photos of is the magnificent flight of locks at Caen Hill. Summery photos here - hopefully some nice, cold, icy ones to come in the next few months.

More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caen_Hill

From the bottom of the main flight of 16 locks this is the view.

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

The narrowboats that use the canal are a mix of privately owned and hire boats - from one of the hire places, the first thing you encounter on this route between Bristol and Bath in the West, and Reading - near London - is this flight of locks. 4 hours of solid hard work to get to the top - and fantastic entertainment to gawping tourists and locals alike!!

Most of the boats are this sort of size.

But some are bigger (and rather magnificent).

They take a bit more concentration to command!

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Some folk live on the canal all the time. Some in absolute central heated luxury with bath, shower and all mod cons, others enjoy a simpler itinerant life on the water.

What is for certain though is the way that the colours change as the year passes. These two some of my first SLR attempts, early January 2009.

Last edited by PoloUK; November 12th, 2012, 21:31.
                              Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                              X