about Caen-Normandy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: about Caen-Normandy

Within the context of Normandie Impressionniste there are a lot of artworks in the area, connected with the themes of water and monuments. Then last week-end I went to the river Seine loops and see two land art exhibitions.
    First of all I had to cross the river that I always do with the little ferry for it is more enjoyable than the bridges. In a fantasized way I feel it as a miniature Norwegian fjord crossing!!

Saint Pierre de Varengeville castle and its ornemental pond with an installation of balls
    Last edited by yvneac; June 12th, 2013, 12:03.

Comment

Jumičges Abbey, one of the nicest ruins in France.First construction i VIIIth century,then distroyed by Vikings,rebuilt in XIth after the creation of the dukedom of Normandy.

The roman nave

Ruins of gothic choir and apse.
      Last edited by yvneac; June 12th, 2013, 12:19.

Comment

The wall of the transept

A allegoric contemporary installation on the theme of drakkars
        Last edited by yvneac; June 12th, 2013, 12:20.

Comment

Liked seeing the artworks, but am getting distracted and enthused by other things Yves! The ferry of course, but I admired that already in another thread. And I certainly like your description of the abbey as “nicest ruins in France”, and indeed a lot more than merely nice as I look at your extraordinary image of the transept wall in #123/1. Very compelling.

But what has really grabbed me is the chateau in #121/2. I’m wondering if it is a later building than one might at first suppose, maybe even a late 19th century take on Louis XIII style?
          Last edited by Seagull; June 12th, 2013, 15:20.

Comment

You are right Cecilia.
            The former castle, erected in XVIIth was razed in 1891, then rebuilt in 1898.Nowadays it belongs to a bank to be used as a contemporary art center.

Comment

just a try with photobucket

Comment

just a try with photobucket

Comment

That last image is too cool... almost like a maelstrom in a river!
                  With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                  Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Week end at Chaumont, Loire Valley.
                    Every year I go to the castle of Chaumont for the international gardens festival
                    Last Friday was as sunny as I could expect so, dawdling there was a real delight.
                    The colors of autumn aren’t yet flashy but it begins and at this period it’s not crowded. Then the visit is nice and easy.

Comment

Among the thirty gardens, here are my favorite

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

How nice Yves - I feel just like curling up in that cacoon!
                              And for me your photo #132/5 really contrasts and yet brings together nature, garden and art in one special view.

Comment

Independently of the festival, the Domaine runs contemporary arts exhibitions outside and inside the castle.
                                David Nash, the English plastician living in Wales, shows his works inside the former apartments of De Broglie family.
                                His installations can appear amazing but to me he is one of the most interesting creator of Land-Art activity.

Comment

Working...
                                X