about Caen-Normandy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: about Caen-Normandy

I do like your composition in #58.2 and this last one, Yves. The first with its bold, solid colour of the fishing boat against the minutić of the windows in the background, and then this last one with many verticals balanced by the strong horizontals at the bottom.
    Last edited by wherrygirl; December 14th, 2012, 23:03.
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

I enjoyed that introduction to Honfleur and its photogenic combination of the boat harbour, little shops, restaurants and picture galleries. Such interesting architecture with many very tall buildings. I guess that is explained in photo #60/2 where you show the steep cliff behind, and I guess it was necessary to build upwards where there is not so much flat ground to spread out on.

Comment

Wonderful to see this images from Honfleur... I have been here once with the Crystal Symphony, but that day, I had no chance of going ashore and never got to see this place with my own eyes.
        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
          I enjoyed that introduction to Honfleur and its photogenic combination of the boat harbour, little shops, restaurants and picture galleries. Such interesting architecture with many very tall buildings. I guess that is explained in photo #60/2 where you show the steep cliff behind, and I guess it was necessary to build upwards where there is not so much flat ground to spread out on.
          When the port was dug, houses were erected in front of the quay , being supported on the counter-scarp in the opposite side. So the ground floor in the street is equivalent to the second or even the third floor on the quay. To make some extra square metres and stabilized the construction, architects used corbellings.
          Until XIXth (more or less) the amount for taxes was calculate in accordance with the number of windows on the frontage; it explains that the authorities required a lot of them.
          Nowadays many houses are restaurants. Due to the lack of place, rooms are below and kitchens often on the third floor. It’s no picnic for waiters!
          Last edited by yvneac; December 16th, 2012, 16:52.

Comment

Two painters of Honfleur
            FRAN-BARO 1926-2000

CHARLES POLLACI 1907-1989

Comment

I like the Pollaci very much, Yves. I noticed that the bevel on the slip is gilded and somehow this sharpens the junction of the swept frame and the painting itself, equalling its rich colours. That in the first picture is left plain and somehow that also seems appropriate as the painting is almost impressionistic in its avoidance of sharp edges.
              Sorry, but I always pay nearly as much attention to a frame as to what it holds!
              Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
                I like the Pollaci very much, Yves. I noticed that the bevel on the slip is gilded and somehow this sharpens the junction of the swept frame and the painting itself, equalling its rich colours. That in the first picture is left plain and somehow that also seems appropriate as the painting is almost impressionistic in its avoidance of sharp edges.
                Sorry, but I always pay nearly as much attention to a frame as to what it holds!
                Don't worry Ivy.
                Frames are a part of aesthetic pleasure we have when looking at a picture.
                And it's really a very difficult work.

Comment

I once worked for an art dealer at his gallery not far from Norwich, restoring oils - mainly of the Norwich School Painters. Sometimes, for a change of occupation, I would take a frame that was slightly damaged and work on it. We used to keep small pieces from frames which were too badly damaged to repair, soak them in water until they were of just the right, malleable consistency and I would use that for the work. It was a very soothing, satisfying occupation, as indeed was the restoratioin itself.
                  Ivy

Comment

Xmas in Caen

The city hall

And at night

Comment

The people, the local government (magnificent building), the one who saw and the occasion. Thus Caen at Christmas!
                      Ivy

Comment

Last edited by yvneac; February 22nd, 2013, 16:59.

Comment

Last edited by yvneac; February 22nd, 2013, 17:20.

Comment

What are you up to, Yves??? I'm breathless with anticipation.
                            PS Don't give up.
                            Ivy

Comment

Ivy you're an angel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                              Last edited by yvneac; February 24th, 2013, 19:39.

Comment

Last edited by yvneac; February 24th, 2013, 19:39.

Comment

Working...
                                X