No announcement yet.

about Caen-Normandy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fantastic area. So nice to be there in low season - during the summer holidays for sure awfully crowded.
    Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

• yvneac
      yvneac commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes.Avoid the high season.

At the tip of riviére d'Auray,the old harbour of Saint Goustan where landed Benjamen Franklin in 1776, asking Louis XVI a military help for American rebels.

At the opposite side,the entrance of the riviére at la pointe du Blaire.

Comment

Views from L'Ile Aux Moines.

Comment

Very much like that old harbour in #235/1 - something to do with the layout of the buildings at the curve of the river, the bridge and its effect on the water, and the high viewpoint. Sometimes seeing such a photo makes me feel like I could drop myself down there and wander about, a sort of seagull equivalent of 'picking up and depositing' the little man symbol on Google street view! (Tempted to play about with that here, when I have a bit more time).
        I also felt I definitely identified with the little character in #236/4.

Comment

• yvneac
          yvneac commented
          Editing a comment
          Ha!This little leprechaun of google street view...So cute.

The entrance of the golfe,with the lighthouse of Port Navalo.Unlike in Svolvaer,the statue in Kerpenhir is not a fisherman's wife but a Vierge à l'Enfant,accordind to a Britton legend.

The tidal current in the pass.

View of Locmariaquer.

In the harbour of La Trinité,the 12M JI, France 1 which represented France for the first time in America Cup in 1970.

Comment

This is such a beautiful thread, Yves, charming photos everywhere.
          Your images of Raz Blanchard are very awe-inspiring, I looked at the video and the speed of the current is quite frightening. The link led to that interesting Wiki article where it mentioned that France was hoping to have started a pilot project on hydroelectric power in the area by this year or next. An excellent place to have one!
          I love the idea of the Little Sea, the Gulf of Morbihan and I should think it is an interesting place to live, almost a small world of its own.
          I don't know about your small boat, the "plate", can't help you there. Looking at it I would just call it a dinghy but admit my ignorance on small boats (as well as big ones!). However, a punt is flat at both ends, and a long boat, while the shorter one is called a pram, also flat-ended. That much I do know.
          As to the wisteria in #228.6, oh, it is making me dream of summer. Although we've had plenty of sunny days, the biting wind in coastal parts of East Anglia is getting a bit much. May - and day temperatures of 9 or 10 degrees with frosts at night in more inland areas is just not funny. So I'll take another long look at the wisteria, and thank you for it, as for all the other photos.
          Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
          Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

• yvneac
            yvneac commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you for your comment Ivy.
            As for the temperatures,I have to say that the Golfe have always 2 or 3 degrees higher than Normandy and spring comes 2 or 3 weeks before.
            And you know what? I like that!

• wherrygirl
            wherrygirl commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, like the Channel Islands. I always envy Kiki her higher temperatures. Not all that far away, yet so very different.

Last Thursday Le Boréal was in the harbor of Caen for supplying. If I understood well, she was chartered for a special cruise by an American group, from Honfleur to Ireland, departure on Friday.
          No cruisers, no tourists, just a working atmosphere in a place usually dedicated to cargos and bulk carriers. Staff and crew in rotation, some leaving, some arriving…..
          The area was supposed forbidden to the public but the barrier being opened I entered all the same.
          Since I did not see this call on the Ponant program I asked an officer walking around. In fact he was the captain Olivier Marien, very friendly, and we had a little chat about my cruise aboard the Soléal two years ago. By the way, when I told that I am interested by a cruise in the Patagonia channels in the future, he said it is his favorite destination in South America. Maybe we will meet again around Puerto Montt?

Under the crane I'm speaking withe captain Marien.(I know.It's not evident,the paparazzi was'nt well equiped).

Comment

Dear, dear, dear, you must supply your paparazzi with a better zoom! Though of course, then the imposing view of the le Boreal and crane would be lost. Ah....priorities!
            Ivy

Comment

Really nice Yves to see aspects of cruise ships at these in-between times that we don't usually see - and a bonus of your fortunate encounter with the captain, and maybe a hint of your future travels.

Comment

During the last weekend, I went to Louviers for the preview of a Jacques Villeglé exhibition.
                Since I am not a regular of this part of Normandy (south of Rouen), I took the opportunity to travel around and discover new places.
                I was very impressed by Chateau Gaillard, the medieval castle above the river Seine, a wonderful example of defensive architecture in a beautiful environment.
                Built in 1196 in a very short time (two years!) by Richard the Lionheart who was king of England and duke of Normandy to impeach the domination of French king Philippe Auguste on the province, it still stands nowadays even though it is a ruin…....but what a ruin.

Comment

Les Andelys as seen from Chateau Gaillard

Chateau Gaillard as seen from Les Andelys

Frontage in Les Andelys

A cruise barge reaching Paris from Honfleur.

Comment

Lyons- la- Forêt (Normandy) with its halles (market), XVIIth

Comment

What a magnificent castle, even if now in ruins. That is a lovely set of photos, Yves, and I like the way you have presented views down from and up to Chateau Guillard. Les Andelys looks charming - but what do I see there in the third window from the left in #236.3? Even perhaps the next one? (throws hands up in horror.) That looks suspiciously like plastic bars compared with the first windows , or else it is a very skilful piece of restoration.
                      the halles in Lyons la Foret is about the same age as our Buttercross in the Market Place in Bunga.y, but is much more imposing - and sheltered!
                      By the way, what was the preview like?
                      Ivy

Comment

• yvneac
                        yvneac commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yes Ivy, those plastic bars are awful.But the half timbering's got style.
                        As for the preview, it was an opportunity to meet with Villeglé. He is now 90 in age, still working every day. In the 60's 70's 80's, he worked "about- with- from" street posters.Nowadays, he creates a new alphabet from the popular signs used on the walls. He was in Louviers before reaching NY for a conference at the MOMA.

Very much like the castle view in #243/3, Yves, not only because it seems such an unusual structure, but also because of seeing the rock strata below on the right of the photo!

Also feeling rather pleased with myself Ivy, because as I was reading the thread and reached #245/1, I thought to myself how it looked like the style of such a building in your area - BEFORE I scrolled on and saw your post!

Comment

Yesterday afternoon at Bayeux.
                        Timber framed houses.

Comment

Working...
                        X