about Caen-Normandy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

From the tranquillity of the little trip on the Toues, which I haven't looked at before, to the lively scenes at the Xmas market, these images are a beautiful continuation of the thread, Yves. Thank you.
      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

• yvneac
        yvneac commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you Ivy.Hope sincerely you'll have a nice Xmas in your nice village.

Wonderful photos Yves. I'm not at all sure about vin blanc chaud though!
      Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

• yvneac
        yvneac commented
        Editing a comment
        Agree with you Mark.Strange medecine.I didn't taste....and I will not!

Between Xmas and New Year eve, I spent few days in Bordeaux, the biggest city in French South West (even though Toulouse doesn’t agree on this point!).
      I guess I will post few pictures on this thread and as a starter, here is that will be the future Cité des Civilisations du Vin. The architectural project is actually interesting as well as the cultural one, since it will not be only an anecdotic comment about the beverage but an ethnologic, historic, economic and ontological approach of wine in its relations with human development.

The model

The building under construction

read more on www.citedescivilisationsduvin.com
      Last edited by yvneac; January 6th, 2015, 21:38.

Comment

The site was interesting, especially the page on the environmental quality of the building. But I can't say I like the architectural design, Yves. There is something about it that makes me squirm! Were it not for their girth there is an almost reptilian element in those coils. I like snakes, but this one is too squat, too bulbous. I wonder what inspired the architect?
        Ivy

Comment

• yvneac
          yvneac commented
          Editing a comment
          Ivy,return to the site and click on "architecture and interior design" then to "architecture".There you find an explanation (or a try of) by the architects.
          Since we are confronted with "abstract architecture", the explanation stays "abstract too.....i.e: even more obscure than the building itself.
          Anyway, as for me, I'm still attracted by these shapes.

BORDEAUX. Port de la LUNE.
        Le port de la Lune made the wealth of Bordeaux, of course due to the wine export that is the positive aspect, but in another hand because it was one of main places for the commerce triangulaire (triangular commerce) between Europe Africa and Antilles which consists of spices, cacao, coffee and slaves.
        All along the 19th and a part of 20th centuries it still remains an important center of commerce with the colonies mainly African but also French Antilles and Indochine (Vietnam).
        After the decolonization a new harbour was created downstream so the port de la Lune lost in importance and became at last almost abandoned. At this time the old and grey warehouses were a real eyesore between the city and the river Gironde.
        Fifteen years ago a great urban development policy was decided and nowadays the banks of the river are clear and enjoyable walkways for the pedestrians, rollers and cyclists. Along the quays cruisers have replaced cargos from April to November. Several old buildings, like the former U boat German base, house contemporary art collections.
        NB: the wiki Bordeaux page is quite well done (in English).

Port de La Lune end of 18th by Pierre Lacour

Comment

And nowadays.

Comment

Yes, Yves, I have done so - and am now suffering from mental indigestion having floundered through all the suggestions and impressions of what the construction represents. Yes, the movement of wine being swirled in a glass I see clearly and applaud the concept. Then it speaks of the "spirit of wine........ filling us with that ineffable, disorienting sense of wholeness." Here I quibble - if one experiences a sense of wholeness should one feel disorientated? A sense of wholeness should surely mean a completeness within oneself but also with all that is without.
            But advertising eulogies know no bounds, so I will take no notice and come back to the building itself.
            And I still feel almost strangely repulsed by it. Elegant curves in a building I admire, but this swells and rears itself in a most threatening way. There, if I am not careful I will produce an antidote to the website's blurb that will outdo the latter in hyperbole! However, I am captured by the interior scene which appears in the second image, the purple and green one. I stared at it for a long time, wandering in and out around its half bottle shapes. Probably the whole building is delightful once the visitor is inside.
            But overall, thank you very much for showing the building, Yves.

PS I should have refreshed before replying, for since then you have posted again,Yves. My reply was to your comment #220.1
            Ivy

Comment

Some more views from Bordeaux.

La Galerie Bordelaise.

Le canelé is a sweet gateau, speciality of Bordeaux.

Comment

Spain is not so far...

....And wineyards are even nearer.

In French a T.O.C is a trouble obsessionnel du comportement (behavioural obsessional trouble) well known by psychanalists.
                Since this shop sells cooking stuffs they call it :trouble obsessionnel culinaire (culinary obsessional trouble). Ha Ha Ha.

Comment

• wherrygirl
                  wherrygirl commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I like it!
                  But that bodega's A-board, it is headed by Coca-Cola!

FEW DAYS ON LA COTE D’ALBATRE (ALBATER COAST)
                Here in Basse Normandie our coasts are flat with long sandy beaches. Up to the North in Haute Normandie the landscape is totally different with chalky cliffs sometimes 120m hight.
                This wall (120km from Le Havre to Le Treport) is cut by narrow valleys where fishing harbours or shingle beaches nest. The plateau (known as le Pays de Caux) mostly rural is the French first producer for flax. In springtime it is a blue kingdom.
                The area was the scene of Maupassant’s and Flaubert’s novels as it inspired Boudin, Monet, and Dufy. Braque ended his life in Varengeville.
                Fecamp is my favorite stop in this region. It has a great fishing history since it was from the beginning of XXth to 1970 the French larger port for “la Grande Pêche” as was called the cod fishing in Terre-Neuve, the great banks of Newfoundland. For a period, about 1910 more than seventy three-masters and numerous trawlers docked in Fecamp fitting out every year in February for a six or seven months fishing season.
                Here are old pictures one can see on boards in town

Comment

Nowadays the harbour is mainly a yachting port

Even though the inshore fishing is still present.

This guy has found his lunch meal

Comment

Yes, your link to the Newfoundland disputes worked, and I found the account very interesting, Yves. Also of interest were your old pictures of the area.
                  Ivy

Comment

Harbour entry and its two jetties.
                    So pretty by clear weather without waves.But when you sail in the fog by rough sea it's not a piece of cake to reach the pontoons, then you curse yachting,the captain and yourself since you were not obliged to board!!!
                    NB:real-life experience.

Comment

The cliff as seen from the city and the city as seen from the cliff.

And a view of the cliff to the North towards Dieppe.

Comment

Working...
                      X