easter trip in Provence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: easter trip in Provence

Talking of books - when I was at school a friend read Perfume From Provence and lent it to me. We were both enchanted. I have just Googled it because I couldn't remember exactly what it was about other than an account of life there. I found that it was by Lady Winifred Fortescue. She was born in Suffolk (coincidence, though I wasn't born here) in 1888 and in 1914 married John Fortescue, the King's Librarian and Archivist. They apparently had a very happy marriage despite a difference in ages, but lost everything in a stockmarket crash and moved out to a little cottage in Provence. The book is an account of their life there. You said, Yves, that Provence is not France, it's Provence. And what I do remember about that book is just that, a world of its own. All my life whenever the name is mentioned, the title of that book rings in my mind and, indeed, a kind of perfume remains of the delight my friend and I had in it.
    That was one of the reasons why I hurried to your thread when I saw it. Yes, as and when you have time, please do post more.
    I haven't seen a bullfinch here for several years. At one time there were always one or two about in summer. I must get down to Minsmere more this year, the RSPB reserve on the Suffolk coast, and do more bird-watching.
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post

Imagine sitting somewhere in the warm shade sipping a glass of local wine, admiring the scenery and local life...
      Yes Pakarang.We need nothing else.That's life.

Comment

Some other pics from Luberon....in bulk

Blue provencal cypress.

Street at Gordes.

Shutters again...but flowered.

Comment

Just since I like.

Traditinal tiled roof.

Comment

Field near a winery.

Contemporary stained glass by Louis-René PETIT in Sénanque abbey

Comment

Superb images, Yves. I do like the street at Gordes, the baskets of herbs, etc. and that one of the roof is beautiful in its detail - then more "cast iron" vines, this time with the prunings. And the modern stained glass is beautiful. That is what I like about modern glass, the concentration on large expanses of glorious colour with perhaps minimal leading.
              Umm-mm I've left out two of your pics., but they delight me too.
              Ivy

Comment

It’s the simplicity of shapes and colour that especially delights me in those cypresses of #18/1, and the curves and cobble stones of #18/2…and that stained glass….but as Ivy has said, they are all lovely.

Comment

ANOTHER TRIP IN LUBERON.OCTOBER 2014.

A ride in "le Colorado provencal" near Rustrel.

Comment

Outside the museum of lavander.This area produces a lot of essences from the "fine lavander",the best variety of this plant,which must not be assimilated to the common lavander (lavandin in French).

Le Mont Ventoux,well known by bikers and fans of le Tour de France.

Frontage in an evening light.

Church tower "à peigne"

Comment

Such a delight to see such warm and coloured pictures on a grey and rainy November day!!
                      Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Lovely stuff - beautiful places. Not quite as overrun with the English as it used to be when a certain book was popular a few years ago!
                        Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

• PoloUK
                          PoloUK commented
                          Editing a comment
                          To read the papers here, you'd believe that everyone was moving west across the Channel, not east!

Glorious memories of superb food in the area - particularly in Murs and a glorious Logis in the tiny village of Buoux.

• yvneac
                          yvneac commented
                          Editing a comment
                          South West of France is a favorite destination for British people since years.In the 90's I used to spend holidays in Périgord or Quercy (you know,truffes, foie gras, wine, and all this sort of things...) where some villages quite abandoned were almost repolutated exclusively by English families.
                          I guess a chat between the new householders and the local plumber might be a funny thing...
                          As for Buoux and the surrundings,it was a good choice.

• ombugge
                          ombugge commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Maybe some of those who like to see limitation on foreigners allowed to work in UK should be reminded that it is a two-way street??
                          If you reconsider the right to free movement within EU that may mean that the dream of buying a house in France, or retire to Spain in your old age, may have to be reconsidered as well. Well, at least you can enjoy a foreigner free UK, bad weather and all.
                          British jobs for Brits!!! (Whether they want them or not)

Provence for ever!
                        It really does seem to be a world apart, those first pictures with the glorious canyons are spellbinding. Their colours are intensified in the house wall at #24.4, but also there is great charm and contrast in your placing of the gentler shades of the lavender. There is a large lavender farm near King's Lynn on the north Norfolk coast and I well remember standing there enjoying the long sweeps of the parallel rows. But they were flat, as you would expect in that locality, not rolling up with that lovely curve.
                        I didn't mention the bells, but it goes without saying that it is a beautiful image. OK, now I've said it!
                        Ivy

Comment

• yvneac
                          yvneac commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thank you Ivy.
                          Notice that the "provencal Colorado" is both a natural site and the result of the human activity since it was a quarry of ochre until mid XXth.
                      Working...
                      X