easter trip in Provence

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• easter trip in Provence

I spent a long week in a place i love since a long time the Luberon,in north Provence,near Avignon.
    Following,some pictures of this journey in the Sunny Country

Perched villages in Luberon

GORDES

ROUSSILLON

Re: easter trip in Provence

WINEYARDS

Fields of lavander (will be blue in june)

Comment

Due to the high luminosity and the warm climate shutters are a basic element of the setting.

Comment

Cistercian abbey of SILVACANE

LOURMARIN where Albert Camus is buried

Comment

Aprovencal speciality:wrough iron church towwers

Another wrough iron work figuring Gordes
          Last edited by yvneac; April 25th, 2012, 15:43.

Comment

The ochre hills of Roussillon

Comment

Yvneac!…how lovely.
              This is not a place I have ever visited (places west of Montpellier in the Montaigne Noir are my only connections with the south of France, and that from many years ago) and the little I know, visualising Provence, has come through the eyes of artists…. not a bad way at all to approach your photographs! (well, perhaps not ALL I know…wine regions and vineyard names are also familiar!!!)

Anyway, such villages, seemingly almost growing out of the limestone, are exotic to my eyes as I look at your wonderful opening picture. Oh and next are indeed vineyards, and what a striking contrast of tamed vine and natural tree beyond. I love the composition of those curves of #2/2. And then all the variations of shape and colour and textures and the play of light in those windows.

Thank you for this…and more would be more than welcome!

EDIT:-...and my wish was granted even as I typed!!.....back later!
              Last edited by Seagull; April 25th, 2012, 15:54.

Comment

The country of no smoking....summer fires are a calamity.

Comment

A geological treat too! Of course! now I remember this is where ochre pigments came from!… though I hadn’t been thinking of that when I mentioned art in my earlier post. Neither had I realised that this area of sediments was so beautiful scenically. Those are stunning views in post #6

The wrought iron work is attractive….Wherrygirl is going to love that, as well as the view through the arch at Lourmarin….do draw her attention to this thread if she doesn’t come across it soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
                    The wrought iron work is attractive….Wherrygirl is going to love that, as well as the view through the arch at Lourmarin….do draw her attention to this thread if she doesn’t come across it soon.
                    Oh, she does love it. But the whole thread is delightful, Yves. I enjoy the patterns in both photos at #2, in fact the vineyard one is almost like miniature wrought iron pieces carefully set out across the field. In #3, you remark on the need for shutters because of the high luminosity and warm climate - well, East Anglia also has that special clear light, but climate warm enough to need shutters......oh, I wish! The photos in #6 are remarkable in the colour of the rock. Half close your eyes in the first one and the pattern of subtle colouring takes over.
                    Any more? I'm enjoying this.
                    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Lovely photos Yves. As I'm sure you know, in the late 1980s there was a book called 'A Year in Provence' by a Brit called Peter Mayle, telling his stories of moving to the Vaucluse / Luberon. For a while you couldn't move for English folk in Bonnieux, Rousillon, Carpentras and the area!! We enjoyed the books too, and had a couple of fantastic holidays in Buoux - also a later one in Murs.

Your photos bring back very happy memories of a stunning area!! I can almost taste the beautiful provencal food!
                      Last edited by PoloUK; April 25th, 2012, 20:38.
                      Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Fantastic picture report from a place I have never been to.

Imagine sitting somewhere in the warm shade sipping a glass of local wine, admiring the scenery and local life...
                        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                        Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                        Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

As I'm sure you know, in the late 1980s there was a book called 'A Year in Provence' by a Brit called Peter Mayle

Yes,Mark I read P Mayle (met him in a book festival years ago).He picked up a lot from provencal soul and his book is a good introduction to this area even for French people.....but Provence is not France;it's Provence!!!!

Comment

Any more? I'm enjoying this.

Happy you're happy,Ivy.At moment I am a little bit busy but next week I'll take time to class my photos and if you are still interrested I will post.
                            I remember you said you're bird watcher.Yesterday in my garden I saw my first bullfinch this year.I love this bird.

Comment

[QUOTE=Seagull;87053]. Neither had I realised that this area of sediments was so beautiful scenically. Those are stunning views in post #6

Seagull,if one day you find time to come in Provence I am sure you will enjoy it.Looking at your photos it's clear to me that this country would be a real inspiration for your aesthetic sensibility.
                              Yves

Comment

Working...
                              X