X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pilotdane
    started a topic A bit of Istanbul

A bit of Istanbul

It would not be Istanbul (not Constantinople) without minarets and some Turkish flags.

The Sultan Ahmed Mosque (Blue Mosque) by day.

And by night.

Guest replied
    Re: A bit of Istanbul

WAOW!! Just WAOWWWWWW! Glorious!

Leave a comment:

• Sterkoder
    replied

Amazing pictures, Dane!!
    Don't know what else to say, and they all remind me of my first visit to Turkey back in 1992.
    About those radio masts; I count 25, including that concrete one, and if you count that steel tower just visible behind that, there's in fact 26
    Again, great report!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• pilotdane
    replied

Looking around you can see that the columns were stolen/borrowed from other buildings, some probably hundreds of miles away. Since this was never intended to be tourist destination pieces were stuck in where they fit best, not according to how they looked.

One Medusa head fit best upside down while another apparently fit better on it's side.

Leave a comment:

• pilotdane
    replied

Leave a comment:

• pilotdane
    replied

Visiting one of cistern's of Istanbul was a major goal of our trip. I had read about them for years and then to see them in a James Bond movie and a fake recreation in the Adams Family movie cinched it. I had to see them, and it was worth the trip. Looking back I wish I had spent more time there.

If you look closely you can see the different water levels held in the cistern over the years.

Leave a comment:

• pakarang
    replied

Originally posted by pilotdane View Post
    Every part of Topkopi had some level of detail. More or less depending on how visible that part of the palace was to the Sultan, harem or the young sultan in training. Even the eaves (bottom side of the roof overhang) received ornate detail.

Amazing details and amazing workmanship!

That is almost out of the ordinary!

Leave a comment:

• pilotdane
    replied

I never knew that Istanbul had an Egyptian obelisk

Leave a comment:

• pilotdane
    replied

One of the miarets at the Blue Mosque

With a quick peak inside. I got scolded for stepping over the line with my shoes on. I could not understand what they were saying an angry tone and pointing finally got the point across to me.

Leave a comment:

• pilotdane
    replied

Need a chandelier?

Gallata tower

And another view of the lighthouse I posted in the lighthouse section.

Leave a comment:

• pilotdane
    replied

Just a simple way to let in a little light. Little hexagon windows in the shape of a hexagon of course.

And, when you are the Sultan you have the best view in town. This is from one balcony looking down the Bosphorous toward the Black Sea with The Golden Horn branching off to the left.

Leave a comment:

• pilotdane
    replied

Many of the ceilings were so ornate that it was just too much. So much detail that it almost became noise. This simple decoration was in one foyer or corridor room used mainly by the harem and eunuchs.

The door to some cabinet or storage space built into the wall. Inlaid with precious stones from all over the world of course.

Of course I have to throw in just one photo of some of the amazing tiles that adorn most of the walls inside the palace. If you look closely you can spot the ones that don't match. Restoration work using tiles from parts of the palace not open to tourists were used to complete the wall. Asking the guards, they restored using original tiles from the palace even if they did not match. Thinking original, not matching was better than something made new.

Leave a comment:

• pilotdane
    replied

Every part of Topkopi had some level of detail. More or less depending on how visible that part of the palace was to the Sultan, harem or the young sultan in training. Even the eaves (bottom side of the roof overhang) received ornate detail.

Leave a comment:

• pilotdane
    replied

Now it's time to visit Topkopi. There are tons of big photos on the internet so I had a good idea of what to expect before visiting but I found some of the details very interesting. At first this looks like your normal palace entrance.

Then looking closer I noticed the intricate way the stones were cut to lock together.

Leave a comment:

• pakarang
    replied

Originally posted by pilotdane View Post
    What an amazing looking building!

I wouldn't mind inviting any of you to come visit a day or two....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X