• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A bit of Istanbul

I never knew that Istanbul had an Egyptian obelisk

Comment

Originally posted by pilotdane View Post
      Every part of Topkopi had some level of detail. More or less depending on how visible that part of the palace was to the Sultan, harem or the young sultan in training. Even the eaves (bottom side of the roof overhang) received ornate detail.

Amazing details and amazing workmanship!

That is almost out of the ordinary!
      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Visiting one of cistern's of Istanbul was a major goal of our trip. I had read about them for years and then to see them in a James Bond movie and a fake recreation in the Adams Family movie cinched it. I had to see them, and it was worth the trip. Looking back I wish I had spent more time there.

If you look closely you can see the different water levels held in the cistern over the years.

Comment

Comment

Looking around you can see that the columns were stolen/borrowed from other buildings, some probably hundreds of miles away. Since this was never intended to be tourist destination pieces were stuck in where they fit best, not according to how they looked.

One Medusa head fit best upside down while another apparently fit better on it's side.

Comment

Amazing pictures, Dane!!
              Don't know what else to say, and they all remind me of my first visit to Turkey back in 1992.
              About those radio masts; I count 25, including that concrete one, and if you count that steel tower just visible behind that, there's in fact 26
              Again, great report!!!!!
              "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

WAOW!! Just WAOWWWWWW! Glorious!

Comment

Working...
                X