A bit of Istanbul

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A bit of Istanbul

It would not be Istanbul (not Constantinople) without minarets and some Turkish flags.

The Sultan Ahmed Mosque (Blue Mosque) by day.

And by night.

Re: A bit of Istanbul

Istanbul is such an amazing place... a mekka for Muslims and a mekka for photographers!

Did you get to take photos in their local markets?
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

I got some photos in the Grand Bazar but I think the more exciting was on our first day getting lost in a less touristy market. Unfortunately it was the first day and I was still in culture shock and did not get any photos. By the end of the first day I was starting to settle in and I loved it on the second. It really shows that I had spent too much time at home safe and sound and that I needed to get out more often.

Here is a shot of the approach to Istanbul from the Black Sea.

And, I loved this fancy place built neatly with some ancient walls.

Comment

How extra-ordinary that little red house is tucked in between some red walls!

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

It does not need to be said that a lot of money has been made along this important waterway and of course with money comes some very nice places to spend the night.

Comment

Cruising the Bosphorous I was amazed at the almost endless amount of ruins and ancient structures. I have to get back and spend some time exploring the countryside. I would also like to get out to the Gallipoli memorial to see what that area looks like 100 years later.

I have no clue what this is but I would love to know it's story.

Comment

And, I think this hill on the Asian side of Istanbul needs one more radio tower to make it a nice 25.

Comment

Originally posted by pilotdane View Post
                And, I think this hill on the Asian side of Istanbul needs one more radio tower to make it a nice 25....
                Hahahahaha… that one’s got Lady C written all over it!!!!!!!!!!!

Actually I’m greatly enjoying all your posts from this trip on the various threads, Dane.

Comment

Originally posted by pilotdane View Post
                  What an amazing looking building!

I wouldn't mind inviting any of you to come visit a day or two....

Comment

Now it's time to visit Topkopi. There are tons of big photos on the internet so I had a good idea of what to expect before visiting but I found some of the details very interesting. At first this looks like your normal palace entrance.

Then looking closer I noticed the intricate way the stones were cut to lock together.

Comment

Every part of Topkopi had some level of detail. More or less depending on how visible that part of the palace was to the Sultan, harem or the young sultan in training. Even the eaves (bottom side of the roof overhang) received ornate detail.

Comment

Many of the ceilings were so ornate that it was just too much. So much detail that it almost became noise. This simple decoration was in one foyer or corridor room used mainly by the harem and eunuchs.

The door to some cabinet or storage space built into the wall. Inlaid with precious stones from all over the world of course.

Of course I have to throw in just one photo of some of the amazing tiles that adorn most of the walls inside the palace. If you look closely you can spot the ones that don't match. Restoration work using tiles from parts of the palace not open to tourists were used to complete the wall. Asking the guards, they restored using original tiles from the palace even if they did not match. Thinking original, not matching was better than something made new.

Comment

Just a simple way to let in a little light. Little hexagon windows in the shape of a hexagon of course.

And, when you are the Sultan you have the best view in town. This is from one balcony looking down the Bosphorous toward the Black Sea with The Golden Horn branching off to the left.

Comment

Need a chandelier?

Gallata tower

And another view of the lighthouse I posted in the lighthouse section.

Comment

One of the miarets at the Blue Mosque

With a quick peak inside. I got scolded for stepping over the line with my shoes on. I could not understand what they were saying an angry tone and pointing finally got the point across to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X