Athens, Greece

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Athens, Greece

I know everyone has seen the usual pictures of the Acropolis and other old stuff. Here are some shots I tried to do a little differently trying to catch the sky at an interesting time or finding little details that everyone else walked past.

Re: Athens, Greece

I was really shocked at how large Athens is. I did not expect it to sprawl as far as you could see in almost every direction. It seemed odd to be looking at thousand year old monuments & temples and there was always a huge city in the background. I suppose visiting the Pyramids in Egypt would feel about the same.

Walking around the Acropolis someone got up from sitting on this stone. Then I noticed that their seat was probably carved a few thousand years ago.

I had more fun looking at the odd bits lying around than the popular stuff surrounded by hundreds of tourists complaining about the heat. Walking around the base of the Acropolis was probably the most interesting for me. Seeing the caves and offering niches cut into the mountain long before the famous stuff was built on top of the mountain. Better still was that few took the time to do more than the major attractions so it could be enjoyed in relative peace.

Comment

Re: Athens, Greece

What surprises me with Athens, is the fact that Acropolis is still there... Kind of not having been destroyed at some point in the future, the city grows around it, and it's kind of ... mmm.... strange (?) that Acropolis was not demolished some time in the past to give space for some development or building.
      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Working...
      X