Cruising Glacier Bay and College Fjord Alaska

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kiki42 View Post
    ....Did you notice on post #1 third one down the trees on the left of the Glacier give an insight into the actual size of the Glacier, amazing i thought....
    A very good point that - It is so difficult to get a sense of the scale of glaciers in places like Greenland and Svalbard where there are no trees. And where the air is clearer than one is accustomed to it is sometimes difficult to estimate the distance ship to glacier too.
    You were certainly close to the whales, great photos.

Originally posted by kiki42 View Post
    ....I have a snow bug now, thinking of going to Lapland again or maybe the Hurtigruten voyage to the Northern Lights....
    ....Can you recommend the ship, only information from brochure at the moment.
    I went a year ago in February, (although it was a special group arrangement with some university people, and we had our own lectures and social arrangements). We were lucky that the weather was clear and we got to see the aurora on three nights! Of course it cannot be guaranteed, even if the weather is clear, although the point we are at in the sun’s cycle increases the possibility at the moment.

I’m sure you already realise it is dark in the daytime in December that far north (though the light reflected by the snow is beautiful), and that the Hurtigruten ships also carry local passengers and freight and make many short stops at small places, unlike a “normal” cruise, but you may therefore be surprised to find the more modern ships very cruise-ship like in décor (though smaller cabins than what you are used to). They do arrange excursions and activities for the tourists, and I highly recommend the dog-sledding in Tromsø ! I’d also recommend the ship Trollfjord I was on; I think that ship, or her sister Midnatsol, would appeal to you (but there are others a little older like Nordnorge which some of us are going on in November).

Look at me, totally OT – I’m such a Hurtigruten geek! Anyway, take a look in the Hurtigruten threads in the Maritime Interest section to see the ships. I’ve travelled on the whole fleet at some time or other, so just ask if you ever want any further info.

Comment

Re: cruising Glacier Bay and College Fjord Alaska,and Inside Passage

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
      We better look into a Crystal cruise to that corner then.... HINT HINT HINT....

Imagine, waking up early in the morning, stepping out on to our adjacent balconies and looking at those quite fjords and glaciers.... chatting happily away through the tiny walls between our inter-connecting balconies while eating breakfast...
      Oh, that's RIGHT...you are thinking of Symphony...SERENITY's veranda walls open up, if you want....lol

Which is going to be SOO much fun on this next trip...we have 5 staterooms all in a row. We'll be able to play shuffleboard!

Comment

Re: cruising Glacier Bay and College Fjord Alaska,and Inside Passage

Kiki- I know what you mean about needing a "snow fix" every once in a while-- lol

Comment

Re: Cruising Glacier Bay and College Fjord Alaska

hi, Steve B We did see the ice falling off, as the glacier is on the move all the time . The amazing time was the captain stopping the ship and engines off so we could hear the thunder noise as the Glacier moves. My camera is fuji digital 6.3 pixel, and i leave it on auto, I have been happy enough with the results, so haven't explored what else my camera can do . !!!

past cruises 2000 ncl crown odessey mediterranean 2006 ncl marco polo baltic 2007 ncl marco polo mediterranean... june 2010 pacific princess, mediterranean . may 2011 island princess alaska . june 2015 NCL Star Norwegian Fjords

Comment

Re: Cruising Glacier Bay and College Fjord Alaska

hi Cecelia, thanks for all the info, i have the brochure and have looked on web site, My daughter has changed plans and now wants to come to the uk in March, so we are going to look into trips then or the log cabins in lapland where we stayed before. I am now going to Australia for Christmas, so i guess thats a cue for more photos !!!!!!!!

past cruises 2000 ncl crown odessey mediterranean 2006 ncl marco polo baltic 2007 ncl marco polo mediterranean... june 2010 pacific princess, mediterranean . may 2011 island princess alaska . june 2015 NCL Star Norwegian Fjords

Comment

Working...
            X