Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EDITED TITLE: Japan Earthquake magnitude 9.0 and the following tsunami

Japan Earthquake magnitude 9.0 and the following tsunami

Horrific images across the media today, as an 8.9 magnitude earthquake hits 150 kilometers off Japan, and with following tusnamis.

One of my first thoughts was something that I posted a few days ago:

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
    March 19th 2011: The full moon will be 356 577 kilometers from the earth tonight.

Great photo opportunity!

This is the closest it has been in 19 years, and the Internet is a-buzz about disaster prophecies when the moon comes so close to earth.

http://www.adressa.no/nyheter/innenr...cle1601206.ece

I have added this event to the Calendar as well!
    Last edited by pakarang; March 13th, 2011, 17:44. Reason: Amended title as the earthquake was re-calculated to be a 9.0 magnitude quake.
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

First breaking news on CNN:

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Pacific Ocean on tsunami warning:

Comment

As we speak, the former Crystal Harmony, the Asuka II is suddenly heading for sea:

Comment

Horrific is certainly the only word to describe it, isn't it?
          Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
          Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Yes, absolutely horrific!

Imagine, here we sit in all our safety and in so many situations, there are people now struggling as we speak. Trying to cope with water coming, earth quakes, and all that comes with such a disaster. There are probably thousands of heartbreaking stories being unfolded right as we sit here and look at it.

Did you see the person being flushed away in this CNN footage?

Cars are looking like toy-cars in a bathtub... bopping around and floating like they weigh nothing at all.

Comment

This is horrific news to wake up to. We have now heard about a state of emergency at one of the countries Nuclear power stations.

My thoughts and prayers are with everyone that have been affected by this, and everyone who may be affected by the following tsunamis.

I am also thinking of any of our dear members that may be near to all of this. Please let us know you are ok when you can.

Such terrible news.
              Last edited by Steve.B; March 11th, 2011, 16:23.
              Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                Yes, absolutely horrific!
                Did you see the person being flushed away in this CNN footage?
                No, I hadn't seen that. I agree, Jan-Olav, we have our moans about things, but when I see what is happening in areas suffering natural catastrophes like this it makes me feel very small. It is all the more potent because nowadays we have access to modern technologies such as mobile phone pictures so that it is much more immediate and happening almost while we look.
                Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

This is getting more and more tragic by the hour.
                  Horrific sight to watch all the pictures and videos coming in from everywhere.

I do have the japanese people and others affected by this in my thoughts.
                  "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                    This is getting more and more tragic by the hour.
                    Horrific sight to watch all the pictures and videos coming in from everywhere.

I do have the japanese people and others affected by this in my thoughts.
                    This reminds me of the first few hours of news coverage back in 2004. The full extent only becoming clear after many hours.

Sadly, the destruction i have been seeing on the TV this morning, leads me to think that there will be a massive loss of life.
                    Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

I can only reiterate what you have all so eloquently expressed. All this in a country that must be the most aware and most geared to cope with earthquakes. And later there will emerge so many individual, personal and tragic stories….

Right now, Hawaii will be on high tsunami alert, lying at right angles to the fault line where the earthquake occurred. At least, unlike Japan in the opposite direction, they will have had some advance warning. Let us hope that the wave’s energy has dissipated somewhat. There are many low lying islands in the Pacific at greater risk that don’t have the capacity to cope with such disaster.

Comment

Our radio station just reported that Indonesia had the first wave and it was only 10cm high. So we hope the best for Hawaii.

It is very difficult to sort out what really happened. The news agencies just spit out again each bit of news they receive. We will have to wait some days to get an overview. But i fear also that we will have ten thousands of victims.
                        Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Thankfully, it seems as if the wave across the Pacific wasn't as big as feared.

But, needless to say, the image from Japan has been nothing less than horrific. Looking at the drama unfold on LIVE TV, it is sometimes hard to realize that there are actually people, and families, involved in the drama. My heart and my prayers goes out to all those that in some way, small or big, have been affected by this nratural disaster.

It's easy for us to sit here and say that "yes, it is sad" but if we had been in the very same conditions, it would have most likely change our lives forever.

Comment

Even google did something today which was unprecedented: warning millions of people via their seach engine:

Comment

Absolutely shocking images traveled all across the Internet today:

Comment

Working...
                              X