No announcement yet.

this is Woudrichem,the Netherlands

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have just had a quick flick through the last ones, but tomorrow if I have time I want to go back to your map, save it and then I can follow the trail better. I'm really enjoying the exploration, Thijs.
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

So much history in the places you have shown us: almost like a subtle advertisement.

It works for me: I would love to see this place some day in my life.
      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
        Have just had a quick flick through the last ones, but tomorrow if I have time I want to go back to your map, save it and then I can follow the trail better. I'm really enjoying the exploration, Thijs.
        the tour around woerkum is done (for now,maybe later more from other places in woerkum),i will place some details images and some buildings.
        the last time i was in church (3 weeks back) i arrange with the woman that keeps the church tidy,that i can call her for a appointment to make images inside the church and the organ.

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
        So much history in the places you have shown us: almost like a subtle advertisement.

It works for me: I would love to see this place some day in my life.
        i stil havent found the building dates of the church and prisongate,but they are old.
        these old ''stuff'' facinates me too,the history of them and how they have build those things then,and still standing.

give me a pm and i show you around,you're here anyway for the Rotterdam and visiting the mills.
        best regards Thijs

Comment

a reminder

2 is the exit gate
          3 the watergate
          4 the hotel
          5 the curch
          7 the militairy police station
          10 the barracks
          11 the prisonergate
          13 the waterbarrier with bridge
          15 view from the wall over the 3 rivers
          (most have use thicker numbers)

the most old buildings you see, are at the molenstraat (the millstreet), but mainly at the hoogstraat (highstreet).

when were standing at nr17, the roadcross and facing east we look into the millstreet,
          the building with the 2 pointed roof is the hotel,nr,4,this house is the neighbour.

best regards Thijs

Comment

some detais of the house (but there more)

best regards Thijs

Comment

best regards Thijs

Comment

standing at the intersection turning clocwise you see the prisoner gate

walking under you come at the river were you can take the ferry to Gorinchem or loevestein castle.
                on the google image the ferry is just arriving.

turning further you look into the hoogstraat,only this image taken for the overhanging wall

with at the end the old city hall.
                best regards Thijs

Comment

and with the last turn you look into the kerkstraat, churchstreet.

the name of the tower is ''martinustower,but here also known as mustard jar,that name is also used for the camping.

i had taken some black and white images from the tower,but for one or the other reason i trow them away,(by accident),this is the only one thats left.
                  do't like him,black and white stands for me as old,and then there are not cars parked from this time.

best regards Thijs

Comment

the churh is from around 1362,not in this shape.it started as a chapel in the 5th century,and in centuries after it became as it is now.
                    the main look of the curch like it is now is from 1717,when a big storm blown away the tower top.
                    the oldest image/drawing of the curch i found is from from 1613.
                    the tower is 34 meters high and cab be climed in the summer.

the prisonergate is from after 1573.
                    she was build with the fortified walls that was completed in 1580

the next images al come from the hoogstraat,highstreet.

here some closeby images,like plaque

i first thought that this was the house of the gravedigger

the time is short. the death is quick.
                    wait for your sins.so you will do. 1608

Last edited by janihudi; March 19th, 2011, 12:19.
                    best regards Thijs

Comment

In the gilded helmet 1601
                      best regards Thijs

Comment

in the deere 1601
                        best regards Thijs

Comment

2 of a kind

best regards Thijs

Comment

In the golden angel 1593
                            best regards Thijs

Comment

some video's of the waterflood around Woerkum

building the dam in the gate

the floating restaurant
                              on the right,in the historical port.

the video was taken at the same place after 33 sec.
                              as my image (the second one). look at the white tops of the mooringpoles

taken at nr.15 and further over the wal, onto the watergate.

this image was taken on almost the same spot,as the image above in the clip
                              this is with normale tide

Last edited by janihudi; March 20th, 2011, 09:45. Reason: add images for compare
                              best regards Thijs

Comment

I've printed out all three of your maps and they are now in my folder. So tomorrow I shall recap and do the grand tour. I've mentioned the brickwork before, and I noticed the unusual piece of patterned infill under the arch above the window in #66.2 There are certainly some lovely old buildings in Woerkum, Thijs.
                                Enjoyed the videos, and in the second one it was interesting to see them putting the planks in the slots in the wall and pouring in the sand as you had described in #57, to keep out the flood water. You are going to a lot of trouble in presenting this wonderful picture of the town, and you're really bringing it to life for us, Thijs.
                                Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                                Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Working...
                                X