Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a closer look at the tower

also yuo can see that the tower ain't level anymore

from this churh was also the funaral of my/our parents.
    best regards Thijs

Comment

the heads of old ''high'' woerkummers like mayers, lawkeepers, generals and more. (not there skulls)

and these at every side.
      same heads??????????????
      best regards Thijs

Comment

best regards Thijs

Comment

Thijs, this is a magnificent display of brickwork, isn't it? A gem, as were your slate-hung German houses. (I've been back for a quick look at the second house but have yet to comment.) There is the Catholic Westminster Cathedral in London which is brick built with some use of stone courses, but it is not as intricate as your church. You can't help admiring the skill and patience of the men who built it.
          And what a tragedy if it had been blown up - the men who pleaded with the German commander must have been very persuasive and he must have had a good understanding of the tower's importance for them. Tiny incidents like that make you feel that all is not lost in human relationships even between temporary enemies.
          I do love that gigantic knife and fork at the door of the building in #30.2 Is it an inn or a private house? It's delightful.
          I hope there is more to come of this tour, I'm enjoying it.
          Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
          Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Seeing these pictures of the patterns in the brickwork so soon after those of patterns in slate enriched my delight in them both, and helped in appreciating such craftsmanship more fully. I love when things come together like this on the forum.
            Great photos Thijs.

Comment

o yes more to come,if the weather is good tomorrow,i'll take a closer look at that old junk (as i will cold that disrespectful,my wife is coming from Woerkum.so i'am teasing her with it) of Woerkum.

this is the strainge thing of it,you are passing it so many times in your live,but never looked at it,now i am making images and you look totally different to it.
              beatifull craftmanship that you don't see anymore

the knife and fork are from a restaurant,but never been there.

restaurant info
              Last edited by janihudi; March 5th, 2011, 13:36.
              best regards Thijs

Comment

the ''arsenaal'' number 8,the army storeage from many 100's years away.
                now it is a fisching museum and a partyhall (i believe,but i was one),the corner of the house (from that point is the first image taken from post 31) is the restaurant with the knife and fork,and the curchtower is at my leftback side

the entrance,''koepoort''
                image is taken close were number 8 stands

if you now turn clockwise you see,
                best regards Thijs

Comment

the backside of the arsenaal

and turning furter the amunitionbunkers at both sides of nr.9

Last edited by janihudi; March 5th, 2011, 18:19.
                  best regards Thijs

Comment

and a little more to the right,this mill,the ''nooit gedagt''

build in 1662 blown up in 1945 rebuild in 1995

in

that couldend be saved from blowing up by the germans,and is rebuild after many years of fond raising
                    Last edited by janihudi; March 5th, 2011, 18:05. Reason: add info
                    best regards Thijs

Comment

best regards Thijs

Comment

Last edited by janihudi; March 7th, 2011, 21:37. Reason: add overview of city with extra number
                        best regards Thijs

Comment

the dam at nr 14.

Woerkum was a fortifeid city, surrounded by canals and rivers,when they poldering the aria in it would means that woerkum was opend for the enimy.
                          so the make a dam to close the gap with the canal but with a sharp top,so that they hardly get over,for those who maneged they build a pillar in the middle,named a ''monnik'',a monk.so there way was closed also.

the dam with the monk in the middle,with the mill at our back.

the white house is standing on the dijk and evrything at the left wil be flooded by high water,so at this way the inland was save for overfloding and Woerkum was save through the dam
                          best regards Thijs

Comment

looking from the image above you turn against clockwise

and the bridge that brings you out of woerkum nr2 (only exit)

best regards Thijs

Comment

as you can see,not the widest gate.

at the end of the gate you see the vertical grey lines,that is were they place the timber in to close the gate for the water (you wil see those at the last gate too)

best regards Thijs

Comment

a fortifeid city need soldiers,they are located here ,at the barracks =nr.10

now a museum and a bar

Last edited by janihudi; March 5th, 2011, 20:35.
                                best regards Thijs

Comment

Working...
                                X