No announcement yet.

this is Woudrichem,the Netherlands

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, well done Ralf. I am counting the days.
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Thijs, have more or less caught up with your photos, though I'll go through them again several times out of interest. The two questions I had for you some time ago were a) those ammunition bunkers at #38.2, were they of the same period as the arsenal or recent ones? b) the kippenbruggetje at #60 - why chicken bridge????
      Looking at some of the very old buildings you've displayed, I have said before how interesting was the brickwork, and what I've noticed also is the arched brickwork above so many of the windows. The arches vary quite a bit. There is one in #64.3 like a Roman arch except that there are several keystones (the larger single stone acting as a kind of wedge) instead of the more usual one, and some almost a Tudor shape like in #66.2. Then at #81.2 there is a more flattened arch. While at 89.2 it looks like a Norman arch over two smaller ones.
      I love the gargoyles, (waterspuwer) too.
      #82. I agree that it does not look so old as the previous one, The brickwork looks much newer, although it is handmade. Crow-stepped gables (trapgevel) that we copied from Holland are of that period, but then they have been used up to modern times as well. Do you think it might originally have been of that date but was then heavily restored? The door and windows are obviously comparatively recent.
      Woudrichem seems to be more of an enchanting place every time I study your pics., Thijs. It has a character all its own.
      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

sorry Ivy no answers to you for both,have no more images of the arsenal or the amunitionbunkers.
        but i almost think that they are from the same time,the dorr at the arsenal is the same as from the arsenal of loevestein castle and in the stone on top of the door there was a year,maybe here to.

about the cicken-bridge,don't have a cleu,probally just a name giving by the lokals,and stays that way.

i know that not al the houses are from the same time,so thats maybe the reason of the differnd style of arches.
        about the 2 in 1 arch 89.2 the 2 smaller arches stands on the stronghest place of the windows the outside and middle pillar,so the weight of the brickwork rest on the big bow,and devided it to the smaller ones who rest on the 3 window pillars.
        woerkum was heavly pauperd in the 60/70, but is now restaured for a lot of buildings.

great Ralf,looking forward to it,lets hope we have a very nice weather those days.
        but we found out that saterday is the same day that the family goes with a coach travel,marijke, cornel,wesley and my wife,the trip is always the last saterday of may,so on saterday i am alone with you two,but sunday we are with the hole bunch.
        best regards Thijs

Comment

we continiue our walk around the wall of loevestein castle

standing above the gate

with on the inside the other side of the street with the soldiers houses,what is now,the register in the front and a taveerne or restaurant furter down the street

best regards Thijs

Comment

standing at nr.14

if they want to restore the place,made for the canons then proper ''carrs'' (Ivy will know what i mean,they are in post 8.1 to see)
            Last edited by janihudi; April 9th, 2011, 20:25.
            best regards Thijs

Comment

we standing on the north/west corner,nr 14

looking east over the wall

Last edited by janihudi; April 9th, 2011, 20:26.
              best regards Thijs

Comment

standing at nr 17 for this one.

at nr 18,looking west

best regards Thijs

Comment

standing at 8 looking east

standing on the east (right side of nr 9) wal looking west

best regards Thijs

Comment

from the same place nr 9,the amunitionbunker

on the foreground the amunitionbunker,not the grey dot,but the flagstaff is where the bunker is

best regards Thijs

Comment

nr 15

best regards Thijs

Comment

the bastion nr 15 has also some tombe stones

best regards Thijs

Comment

nr8 the fortress commander house,they are restoring it now,but it's gonna be a bed & breakfurst.

turning left we look into the street with the soldiershouses,in the background the gate.

best regards Thijs

Comment

nr 17 the soldiers houses. one of them is brought back to his original the rest as a museum,where mainly archaeological finds of the castle are exhibited

best regards Thijs

Comment

inside the soldierhouse

the little street of Loevestein

the buildings that are in the little street of Loevstein are dated from 1730 (14 barracks left) and 1732 (8 barracks on the right)
                              provided shelter for soldiers stationed in Loevestein.

one of the houses has his original function back;it is furnished as it was in 1745 and every weekend in the months july and august
                              inhabited in historical fashion by members of the association militairy living history and there guests
                              best regards Thijs

Comment

2 maquettes of loevestein

the little street of loevestein

the complete fortress

best regards Thijs

Comment

Working...
                                X