X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• this is Woudrichem,the Netherlands

i want to show you Woudrichem or Woerkum as we say in dialect.
    Woerkum is the maincity of our comunity thats also called Woudrichem.
    Woerkum had there cityrights for about 660 years now,and is build at the point where the rivers Waal and Maas come together and go futher as the river Merwede.

i have to surch more things later for adding info,but there are many members that love this old cities and buildings,so i place some now as a teaser

when you come to Woerkum and want to stay for a night.we have a hotel,just 1,
    but beter one then none.

it is located in the old postoffice building

the sign says:
    was vroeger hier gevestigd DE PTT nou veinde hier oe sponde OF GE PIKT een vurrekske mee
    her use to be DE PTT (a postal office),now you can found here a bed,or you picking a fork from a meal.

but this al is in Woerkums dialect

small buildings,small detail.

best regards Thijs

What, no picture of the menu? It looks like a nice place for lunch.

I also like how they trimmed the edge of the flashing above the window.

More pictures please.

Comment

sorry no menu pictures,didn't go inside.

but here is the link and in english

http://www.hotels.nl/woudrichem/hotelwoudrichem/

with the trimmed edge of the flashing above the window.
      you mean the leadstrip above the wooden beam?
      the translationsite came with abacadraba.
      i was more focused on the nails into that wooden beam
      best regards Thijs

Comment

This is very interesting, Thijs. I agree with Dane, that lead flashing is very attractive and I'm surprised to see it on a commercial building like a one-time Post Office. The nails are strange, too, looking at the first picture they form a regular matching pattern on both windows.
        Don't suppose I'll get to Woudrichem when I come over, so do please post more pics.
        Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
        Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

a overview of Woudrichem or Woerkum

btw,the village Oudendijk on the left is my birthplace and just left against the red dot my birthhouse

what i want to show is the old city, the fortified.

as you can see the janihudi is still moored near the floating pancake restaraunt

Woerkum was a important place ,centuries back,through the laying on those 3 rivers could Woerkum raise money from the vessels that passing the city.
          through the form of the city with the pointy walls it could be defense from the enemy.

the numbers connect on the image

even now it's hard to get in with a car,there are 3 gates;
          1, you can drive in and out,
          2, you can only out and
          3, that leads to the river,you can come there with a car,but you can never go anywhere with the car,but
          you can leave Woerkum there by foot, bike or a motorbike/scooter, with the ferry that is mooring on the image that brings you to Gorinchem or Gorkum as we say or to castle Slot Loevestein

4 is the hotel shown in the first post
          best regards Thijs

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
            Don't suppose I'll get to Woudrichem when I come over, so do please post more pics.
            have you allready pick one rivercruise?
            there is one that sails to Woerkum and drop of the people who want to look there and sails further to gorinchem ,lays there some hours ,sail back pick up the people in Woerkum and go back where they started;Heusden.

about more picks;i working on it.

6.the historical port.
            centuries back that was the port of woerkum, woerkum was a fischingcity that lives from salmonfisching,but the riversalmon died out and the "fischingindustry" died too.negolecting the port in the last centuries the port fills up with sendement and as i know it it was meadow and it became an illigal landfill also there was the road to the campingplace.

thanks the waterfloots of 1993 and 1995 the dyks had to be higher,but when you make it higher,it also became wider at the bottom.
            so the riverer will be smaller then when the flood cames,a solution is deeper the rivers or create waterstorages.
            by digging the old port open they have a place to storage the water,and through al over holland they have create those waterstorages.
            and when it will really gooing though,the open the sluice and let the water in,also where i live.
            that sluice is where on the second image at the lowest marina stands 16vt

the 3 rivers and the port intrence

in the port is only place for older vessels and they have a long term berthplace there
            best regards Thijs

Comment

further into the port you see the river boats of the salmonfisherman, the ''zalmschouw'' as they are colled.

the shipsyard;newly build because this was al meadow but from drowings they know how it looked liked

with the ''zalmschouw'' at the right and a floating building that is a restaurant behind

the yard is number 12
              Last edited by janihudi; February 15th, 2011, 22:08.
              best regards Thijs

Comment

a fortifeid city has to be protected,this is one of about 10.

a view over the fortification walls that runs around the whole place,onlu open at the 3 gates and 2 and 3 are watergates, to be closed when the water comes,what in a kind is an enemy

the red rooftop is the hotel
                best regards Thijs

Comment

Interesting, Thijs..., thank you!!

I wonder, in that last image there:
                  All "things" seems to be covered in green algae, also the concrete rail alongside the road..., but not the buildings.
                  Why is that? Do they use high pressure water hose from time to time to wash houses, or is it a special anti-algae ingredience in the house paint?

See that you also got some interesting vessels there.
                  Have that tug in mind in particular. Like its old classic design...
                  "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

when you turn right from the last image,you see this figurine of the mayer from 1903 till 1925 he was called the ''rovers head man'',because he helpt his fisherman when they did something in other communities with fishing.
                    i shell do justice on them he said,but he never did.and all the other city mayers know that,thats why his nickname

walking further you get a better look of the yard sloop

and that where the vollunteers are most proud of,''de galg'',(translationsite says;the gallows. but the name galg is also used as the rope where they hang killers,robbers on) but in this case it is a fishingvessel,they lift the fishingnet out of the water with the fish in it,so a kind of a sterntrawler.

best regards Thijs

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                      Interesting, Thijs..., thank you!!
                      you're welcome

I wonder, in that last image there:
                      All "things" seems to be covered in green algae, also the concrete rail alongside the road..., but not the buildings.
                      Why is that? Do they use high pressure water hose from time to time to wash houses, or is it a special anti-algae ingredience in the house paint?
                      the houses are property of the hous owners,while the roads and the fortification walls are community goods.

when you will not treat youre house well,it will lower in price,so you make sure that it looks good.
                      another point is that you had to maintanance it because ot it's historical looks,you also may not paint it like you wish,you had to keep you on the colors they discripe because of the monumental looks of the city.
                      unfortanaly the communety aint dooing nothing at the looks of it,like cleaning up the garbage everywhere or cleaning up the algae.
                      but what you see is the northside of it,and you know that is the side where algae grows well
                      Woerkum is not a whelty city,but they are not bankrupsy (jet)

See that you also got some interesting vessels there.
                      Have that tug in mind in particular. Like its old classic design...
                      i go back for more vessel images and place them at the end.
                      al those vessel in the port are Privately owned
                      and they live on it,and there was also 1 of them that was a bed and breakfest,but that one is gone.
                      also the tug is privat property and is a older rivertug.
                      shell i ask the owner that you are interest in buying?
                      best regards Thijs

Comment

just a streetview down from the walls into the city

old town ,narrow streets,this is the Molenstraat.

Woerkum was a fortiefeid city,so there is then also a military police

and after that it was a police station,but there gone.Woerkum is to narrow for a quick call. this is number 7 on the overview
                        Last edited by janihudi; February 15th, 2011, 22:10.
                        best regards Thijs

Comment

down from the walls into the Bagijnestraat

and a few meters further into the Kloosterhof

don't be fooled by the old houses on those 2 images,newly build in old style.
                          the only old building is the tower
                          best regards Thijs

Comment

Interesting thread! I think it is really worth to see in good weather and daylight. I will inform you next week about my plans. Please don't arrange anything. Maybe we have luck and it fits this time or we will meet together in springtime or early summer!!
                            Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Originally posted by janihudi View Post
                              have you allready pick one rivercruise?
                              there is one that sails to Woerkum and drop of the people who want to look there and sails further to gorinchem ,lays there some hours ,sail back pick up the people in Woerkum and go back where they started;Heusden.
                              I haven't yet booked a hotel, must get going. But I'm certainly interested in seeing Woerkum, Thijs.
                              Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                              Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Working...
                              X