No announcement yet.

This is Ortigia in Siracusa, Sicilia, Italy - some days in winter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On our last day we drove to Taormina, probably the most famous touristic place of Sicilia. And there is a clear reason for that:

IMG_1676 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

The city is beautifully situated between mountain and sea.

IMG_1684 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Before our trip we dicussed about spending here the whole week. But now we were happy that we did not. Very much tourists and the typical international flair of such places. It was a much better idea to go to Ortigia! But the scenery is really beautiful.

IMG_1687 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr
    Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Even after one week still surprising: It is the 2nd of January! It was my first time in the South in winter.

IMG_1686 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

When we came to the ancient theatre, we experienced a surprise. We were invited to step in for free and received a program booklet. The new year's concert was going on and so we joined in and enjoyed swing classics with great lady singers and a gospel chorus.

IMG_1673 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

This theatre is in my opinion one of the most magic places of the world. This view along the coast, over the sea and to the Etna. And in late afternoon, the sun is sinking there also.

IMG_1679 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Listen to the final song of the concert and you can feel a bit of the special mood of this day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PnaVAlCeM8

On the next day we had to fly home again and landed at -1°C and snowfall and it was quite dark in early afternoon! A harsh contrast to this beautiful week. Thank you for joining me.
      Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

• Seagull
        Seagull commented
        Editing a comment
        This has been a marvellous winter trip Ralf. And unlike me on my summer visit you actually got a clear view of Etna from the theatre in Taormina!

Oh, how wonderful... Taormina, the place we anchored off several times whilst I was serving on Crystal Symphony.

I only saw the place from the tender and from the ship at anchor... tendering day meant I could not have my shore leave.
      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Working...
      X