This is Ortigia in Siracusa, Sicilia, Italy - some days in winter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is Ortigia in Siracusa, Sicilia, Italy - some days in winter

At the 27th of December 2018 i did a one-week-trip in the South with two friends to experience some warm days in winter.
    The top of the Alps were only slightly covered with snow at this date, now three weeks later, it will look completely different.

IMG_1561 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

In the afternoon we landed at Catania airport, which had to be closed for some hours during Christmas because of the vulcanic activities of the Etna. Now he was still smoking. There were impressing sights our of the airplane, but unfortunately we were sitting at the wrong side.

IMG_1564 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

After we took our rental car and drove to our appartment, we had a nice walk in the evening sun in Ortigia, the medieval centre of Siracusa (Italian for Syracus).

IMG_1566 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Later we had dinner in a cozy restaurant near our place with open kitchen. One of our main reasons to go to Italy was the marvellous food and seafood. So the program for the evening was clear: Dining.

IMG_1573 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

As we went back on the street we followed the sound of nearby playing music. We were very astonished, that a Blues and Jazz band was playing outside on the street in front of a tapas bar. So we sat down under a terrace heater, had a late beer and listened the the music. Temperature still was around 12°C.

IMG_1574 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr
    Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

The next day we strolled around through the town and enjoyed the sun and the cozy atmosphere. You can feel a lot of it by watching this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyhH2dLwVsM

In the afternoon it is recommended to catch the sun at the western promenade.

IMG_1577 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

You can order a plate with wonderful antipasti (cheese, ham, sausage, olives...) or some pasta. We found a table in a so called home restaurant (Sole e Luna).

IMG_1580 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Comment

On day three we did a trip to Ragusa, a UNESCO heritage town on the hill in the mountains.

IMG_1582 (1) by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

It is very touristic here and we were glad to be here in low season. We just managed to do our walk before it was getting dark. View back from the hill with the old town up to the newer part, which was astonishing big for a mountain area without any big industry.

IMG_1585 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

We had parked our car there so we returned in late daylight and took another picture of the hill in different mood.

IMG_1589 (1) by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

In the evening we returned to Ortigia and well...

IMG_1590 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Comment

I like this report Ralf. Have a trip in winter in Italy is Always a delight. Sicily is a great destination, culture, gastronomy and landscape.

Comment

The next day we made a trip to check a veteran car near the mountain town Agira. The car was great, but my friend is not yet decided, if he want's to buy it. 17 hp are quite less for a car.

Here you can see an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZy8auBBNXU

Agira is a nice town and not mentioned yet in any tour guide. The advantage is, you are allowed to drive anywhere with your rental car. A very special experience in the veery narrow and steep roads.

IMG_1594 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

At the top of the hill is an old castle with stunning view.

IMG_1595 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

And here is a very nice and creative video about this town:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XLYF5CVpHw

Comment

RALF!

Thank you so much for this very interesting photo-trip to a place I have never heard of before. This looks like a very perfect and charming place to visit. I have added the place to my bucket list as we speak.

The first image of this post is the perfect opening for me, and inspires me to travel more (as in fly more) and see more. Life is such a wonderful journey, and travels enriches your mind in a way that I can not even begin to comprehend.

While some people never leave home and have no intentions to travel anywhere, I'm not like that. My urge to travel is so strong. Thank you for a wonderful new thread.

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
            At the 27th of December 2018 i did a one-week-trip in the South with two friends to experience some warm days in winter.
            The top of the Alps were only slightly covered with snow at this date, now three weeks later, it will look completely different.

IMG_1561 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr
            With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
            Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
              RALF! Thank you so much for this very interesting photo-trip to a place I have never heard of before....
              Ah, pakarang, the reason you thought you hadn't heard of Ortigia before is because when I reported on my Serenissima cruise of October 2017 I was only posting photos to and from the ship in her own thread!
              I see I did mention Ortigia though:
              http://www.captainsvoyage-forum.com/...065#post211065

I've always liked Sicily which I first visited many decades ago, and since then twice on Serenissima.
              So, Ralf, it is such a thrill for me to see your trip report which I am enjoying enormously, and may I also thank you very much for it.
              Last edited by Seagull; January 14th, 2019, 13:20. Reason: Corrected link to Serenissima thread.

Comment

Cecilia, thank you for pointing that out. I followed your trip, but did not remember that Siracusa stop. And, regarding the pictures at #1394, i know now, where they had been shopping!! This is exactly the place we went to in the next morning, the 31st of December 2018:

IMG_1610 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

The market is open each morning except on Sundays and holidays. And it has a wonderful selection.

IMG_1608 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

So the Serenissima crew had an easy job to find the products for their delicious buffet.

IMG_1607 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

We mostly had fish for dinner during this week. And all the restaurants are buying on this market.

IMG_1606 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Comment

There is also a famous panini-maker. You have to be there early, because as nearer lunch time comes, as longer is the queue.

IMG_1603 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

He is celebrating this like a TV-show. And he is building his paninis with enormous amounts of fresh products. Yummi!

IMG_1605 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Spectators are taking pictures and videos and even clapping applause. Here is one of various videos in the net:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2W2lejD6WCY

Directly beside is the shop of Fratelli Burgio. An amazing mixture of Vine shop, cheese stand, salumeria for ham and sausage, you can choose out of a large selection of pasta and pesto. And at the same time it is a bistro, where you can taste all these wonderful products inbetween a bustling crowd of customers. I tried a plate of horse bresaola. My friends had a tagliere terre, a selcetion of cheese, ham, sausage tomato, olives and and and...

IMG_1611 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

You have to see this shop lively, so here is also a video link. I know, this is commercial, but well done and i can really recommend this place!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTUXL-n9Y18

Comment

• yvneac
                    yvneac commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I enjoy your report Ralf. So many pics. to experiment the taste of Sicily !!!!!

The food looks really delicious - so edible.

I have been to Sicily myself a few times, but each time we sailed there we were at anchor and I didn't have time to go ashore. This photo-trip tempts me to discover more and perhaps go there myself some day(?).

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

After that culinaric experience we had a walk out to the cultural program - or as we said, we went to watch stones. Here is the greek theatre of Siracusa.

IMG_1618 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

A couple of years later the Romans came, found out that this one was really old fashioned and not designed for all the modern entertainment forms with wild animals and waterplays, so they built a new theatre just beside.

IMG_1634 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

All is surrounded by a nice park with citrus, lemon and orange trees, nice caves and pittoresque valleys.

IMG_1629 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Sicilian version of Christmas tree.

IMG_1631 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Comment

• yvneac
                      yvneac commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Nice to be there at this period. This Xmas tree is just great.Did you find a gift Under?

• Ralf__
                      Ralf__ commented
                      Editing a comment
                      No, i am sorry, but it was the 31st, so i guess all gifts had been already collected.

In the eveneing we were booked in a nearby restaurant for the big New Years Eve dinner. On midnight we celebrated the new year together with the other guests and the staff of the restaurant in front of the door with prosecco.

Then we walked over to the cathedral square and joined the party which was going on there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=wFB0DVa1Z4s

IMG_1648 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

The people on the balcony had the perfect spot.

IMG_1650 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Comment

• yvneac
                      yvneac commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I stay tuned for the continuation? Did you sleep well after your prosecco ????

• Ralf__
                      Ralf__ commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Stay tuned, there will be two more days. The concert and the action in the restaurants and clubs lasted until 4 a.m., then we could sleep well (and long!).

That last image almost looks like taken out of a Hollywood film-studio. But off course, I know it wasn't.

Such a historic and charming place.

Comment

Working...
                    X