No announcement yet.

This is Ireland: The Wild Atlantic Way

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We drove further on the Mullet peninsula and on it's southern end you can find this monumetn similar to Stonehenge.

2017-05-19 13.19.37 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Of course this is an official Wild Atlantic Way viewpoint.

2017-05-19 13.20.18 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Our next stop was at Annagh Head. Here they erected an artificial project, reminding at the historic beehive houses, called so because of their shape.

2017-05-19 14.04.08 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr
    Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

A few kilometers further on we reached Doonamo Point. A big blowhole is washed here in the rocks. On stormy days you can see the water blowing up the hole, but you will need at least 10 beaufort. We had in maximum 4, so not spectacular this day.

2017-05-19 14.23.50 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

But you can look down in this hole.

2017-05-19 14.24.42 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Mostly alone at this time of the year.

2017-05-19 14.28.28 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Comment

Everywhere along the road are the turf fields. They cut the briquettes and then they must dry.

Foto 19.05.17, 13 03 59 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

If a machine is doing this, the fields look like this.

Foto 19.05.17, 13 09 50 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

This is a closer look to such a field.

Foto 19.05.17, 17 51 32 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Comment

The smell of the turf fires is a very typical smell and you get very used to it. Mostly they are also heating the pubs and restaurants with it and so it is going equal with a cozy feeling. Nowadays the Irish people struggle with the EU - rules for the protections of the environment. I guess in a few years these pictures and also the smell will be history. But today they are working all day for it.

Foto 19.05.17, 16 13 41 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Here you can see again the typical sign of the Wild Atlantic Way. Sometimes a (N) or (S) is added to show you the correct direction. You have just to follow and need very seldom a road map. Very comfortable.

Foto 19.05.17, 15 21 16 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

The Wild Atlantic Way is in this area, as i like it: single track and lonely.

Foto 19.05.17, 17 38 40 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Comment

Scenery at Erris Head, where you can do a nice walk to the shoreline.

2017-05-19 15.28.14 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Not far away over the sea on direct line, but quite a ride on the road: Benwee Head.

2017-05-19 16.42.52 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Here they installed a wind organ, but also here not spectacular on a calm day. So you can't get it all.

2017-05-19 16.42.58 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

In this area there are just a few campsites and so we drove across the country a few kilometers ahead to Ballina, the next bigger town. We decided to return at the next morning and continue on our way.
            We did not take pictures on Beleek Campsite, but it was very nice and probably the tidiest on on our whole trip.

http://www.belleekpark.com/

Comment

Nice to follow you around the coastline and "discover" new locations. Looking forward to the next bay of interest.

Comment

Awesome trip indeed.

The landscapes do remind me of Finnmark county in northern Norway, but way more beautiful when compared to Finnmark.

I especially loved the scenery in the below image.... perfect to find peace and solitude, and to relax.

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
                The Wild Atlantic Way is in this area, as i like it: single track and lonely.

Foto 19.05.17, 17 38 40 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr
                With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Génial! What a nice trip you had -and great memories for me. I especially love your pictures of the turf fields. I experienced to make the briquettes (only one afternoon) in the farm owned by my Galwaygians friends (gosh, it was in 1976!). Just for the fun, of course, but I was paid in real Guinness!!!! Hope you've more photos to post, i'm taker.

Comment

Eventually got back to this marvellous trip report! I had made some jottings as I went along:-

#23 - Absolutely love this with the lighthouse just peeping out behind the rocks as if it was a bit shy! And then of course appreciating the excellence of its position from a sea point of view in the later photo.

Which brings me to #24
                    And then some tasty-looking fish, and the funicular - which certainly would have been a must-see for me.

I enjoyed the places and descriptions of how you made little diversions from the Ring of Kerry road to interesting places and views of coastal scenery. I've been round this road (but without diversions) way back in 1982. Some organised tour didn't materialise, so D hired a car for a few days. Not a great success, and I mostly remember grumpy tantrums tather than why and where they were. Of course many of the things you so enjoyed didn't suit - like the longer walks and the spontaneous changes of plan, but especially pubs. Admittedly this was long before the smoking ban, and in those days even a smoker like yourself Ralf might have hesitated to remain in many an Irish pub long enough for the Guinness to be poured! The music didn't appeal to D back then either but that has changed, largely due to a English friend of ours from Cambridge days who took up Scottish Gaelic traditional singing.
                    (Straying off topic, but in a ship kind ot way, I heard that she's recently been on a a Hurtigruten Explorer Cruise on Fram that went to eastern Canada - places like Newfoundland and Cape Breton that have connections with Irish and Scottish folk music and history. She offered to sing one evening and totally captivated the guests. Taking over the panorama lounge right after the boisterous crew show with these unaccompanied songs takes some doing - and it makes my spine tingle just thinking about it.)

From both a landscape and a photographic point of view I absolutely love #41/3. I keep coming back to it.
                    The later #79/3 of the lonely road too. There’s a ‘rain on window’ one which appealed to me (#43.1), and I couldn't possibly fail to highlight the beach and and cloudscape of 'Regine in the sea'.

As you head farther north into Connemara you are in an area where I have been a number of times in the context of geological work, though the rocks of interest were not the spectacular formations you photographed on the coast, but less obvious more scrappy looking exposures of rock amid green landscapes and moors inland.

As you allude to throughout this splendid thread, as well as delights of landscape and historical places so much of the attraction and specialness of Ireland is the people. I'm so glad you had such great times in a country I have a considerable affection for.

Comment

Working...
                    X