No announcement yet.

This is Ireland: The Wild Atlantic Way

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nowadays there is only one bridge visible in such way, signs are showing old photogrphies, where there have been three of them. But the nature is at work again to create more.

2017-05-14 11.07.09 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

View from the opposite direction.

2017-05-14 11.14.19 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

And this is to give you a feeling for the size.

2017-05-14 11.16.36 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr
    Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

From there it is only a short hop to Loop's Head.

Foto 14.05.17, 12 42 34 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

We had not been on a lighthouse since several days, so it was time to climp on one more...

2017-05-14 12.00.50 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

It was even a guided tour, and it was celebrated for us three people. It was a delight.

2017-05-14 12.03.38 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Lighthouses are fascinating places for me.

2017-05-14 12.03.49 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Comment

It was lunchtime and after that beautiful morning we decided to follow our guides recommendation and have the first pub lunch of our life.

2017-05-14 13.51.49-1 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

The Long Dock Pub in Carrigaholt is not only a pub, it has also a cafe with homemade icecream and a store with local products. So if you are visiting this peninsula, it is really worth a visit. The best place to get knowledge about this area!

http://www.thelongdock.com/carrigaholt_home.htm

After a wonderful lunch and icecream we followed the WAW in Northern direction again to reach after a 1 1/2 hour drive one of the most famous attractions of Ireland: The Cliffs of Moher.

2017-05-14 15.47.05 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

They are very high for sure. And impressing.

Foto 14.05.17, 17 12 43 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Comment

And they are big. It is a long walk on them.

2017-05-14 16.30.02 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

You will need the whole day, if you want to walk along all paths.

2017-05-14 16.31.17 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

But the visitor crowds are massive. Even in low season the car parking was nearly occupied. And the coaches went on and off constantly.

2017-05-14 15.58.27 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Comment

Fortunately the visitor centre is integrated in the hill. So only the car masses are spoiling the landscape.

2017-05-14 15.31.34 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

To justify a quite remarkable entrance fee, the have built a small museum in there.

2017-05-14 15.40.17 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

There is also a cinema inside, so in case of foggy weather you will be able to see what you would have seen...

2017-05-14 15.40.22 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Of course you can also find a row of souvenir shops here. Having seen such a lot of spectacular cliff lines before, most of them in absolute solitude, gives you a strange feeling to be part of this carnival here.

Foto 14.05.17, 16 32 20 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Comment

What a nice trip and holiday you must have had. I like your pictures as they show a rough coast and cozy small houses (pubs) ;-) And one more thing: a heartfelt big thank you for giving us ha horizon that is actually horizontal
              "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

• Ralf__
                Ralf__ commented
                Editing a comment
                Hahaaa! Thank you for noticing! To be honest, they are not all horizontal in original shape, but i do that correction before posting!

Fortunately our next overnight place, Doolin, has kept most of the original village character. No big hotels, just some B&B's and two campsites, so there is a "natural" limit of visitors. We had chosen the campsite near the harbour, with sea view and the O'Connor Pub in walking distance.

2017-05-14 20.34.24-1 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Doolin is also famous for it's music scene. Here the local people meet in various combinations each evening for a kind of session. They play very traditional folk music.

Foto 14.05.17, 21 54 54 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

The musicians change a few times during the evening. The kids are superseeded by older ones, old men performing just one song inbetween. Very entertaining.

Foto 14.05.17, 22 42 52 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Comment

• yvneac
                yvneac commented
                Editing a comment
                I see that fortunately, things have not changed. They still are the world champions for live gaelic music. As my Irish friends said: the crack is mighty (there's a great atmosphere there)...

Excellent trip report - the scenery is just mind-blowingly beautiful... one day, one day in the future, I will have to undertake a journey in your footsteps.

I have no idea as to when, but this landscape definitely needs to be experienced!

Even in rain, it looks charming!
              With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
              Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
              Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
              Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Sorry for that long brake, i have busy times, but stay tuned, i will continue ASAP. Big promise!

Comment

Working...
                X