No announcement yet.

This is Ireland: The Wild Atlantic Way

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nowadays there is only one bridge visible in such way, signs are showing old photogrphies, where there have been three of them. But the nature is at work again to create more.

2017-05-14 11.07.09 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

View from the opposite direction.

2017-05-14 11.14.19 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

And this is to give you a feeling for the size.

2017-05-14 11.16.36 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr
    Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

From there it is only a short hop to Loop's Head.

Foto 14.05.17, 12 42 34 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

We had not been on a lighthouse since several days, so it was time to climp on one more...

2017-05-14 12.00.50 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

It was even a guided tour, and it was celebrated for us three people. It was a delight.

2017-05-14 12.03.38 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Lighthouses are fascinating places for me.

2017-05-14 12.03.49 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Comment

It was lunchtime and after that beautiful morning we decided to follow our guides recommendation and have the first pub lunch of our life.

2017-05-14 13.51.49-1 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

The Long Dock Pub in Carrigaholt is not only a pub, it has also a cafe with homemade icecream and a store with local products. So if you are visiting this peninsula, it is really worth a visit. The best place to get knowledge about this area!

http://www.thelongdock.com/carrigaholt_home.htm

After a wonderful lunch and icecream we followed the WAW in Northern direction again to reach after a 1 1/2 hour drive one of the most famous attractions of Ireland: The Cliffs of Moher.

2017-05-14 15.47.05 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

They are very high for sure. And impressing.

Foto 14.05.17, 17 12 43 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Comment

And they are big. It is a long walk on them.

2017-05-14 16.30.02 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

You will need the whole day, if you want to walk along all paths.

2017-05-14 16.31.17 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

But the visitor crowds are massive. Even in low season the car parking was nearly occupied. And the coaches went on and off constantly.

2017-05-14 15.58.27 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Comment

Fortunately the visitor centre is integrated in the hill. So only the car masses are spoiling the landscape.

2017-05-14 15.31.34 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

To justify a quite remarkable entrance fee, the have built a small museum in there.

2017-05-14 15.40.17 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

There is also a cinema inside, so in case of foggy weather you will be able to see what you would have seen...

2017-05-14 15.40.22 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Of course you can also find a row of souvenir shops here. Having seen such a lot of spectacular cliff lines before, most of them in absolute solitude, gives you a strange feeling to be part of this carnival here.

Foto 14.05.17, 16 32 20 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Comment

What a nice trip and holiday you must have had. I like your pictures as they show a rough coast and cozy small houses (pubs) ;-) And one more thing: a heartfelt big thank you for giving us a horizon that is actually horizontal
              Last edited by Sterkoder; November 23rd, 2017, 08:58.
              "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

• Ralf__
                Ralf__ commented
                Editing a comment
                Hahaaa! Thank you for noticing! To be honest, they are not all horizontal in original shape, but i do that correction before posting!

Fortunately our next overnight place, Doolin, has kept most of the original village character. No big hotels, just some B&B's and two campsites, so there is a "natural" limit of visitors. We had chosen the campsite near the harbour, with sea view and the O'Connor Pub in walking distance.

2017-05-14 20.34.24-1 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Doolin is also famous for it's music scene. Here the local people meet in various combinations each evening for a kind of session. They play very traditional folk music.

Foto 14.05.17, 21 54 54 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

The musicians change a few times during the evening. The kids are superseeded by older ones, old men performing just one song inbetween. Very entertaining.

Foto 14.05.17, 22 42 52 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Comment

• yvneac
                yvneac commented
                Editing a comment
                I see that fortunately, things have not changed. They still are the world champions for live gaelic music. As my Irish friends said: the crack is mighty (there's a great atmosphere there)...

Excellent trip report - the scenery is just mind-blowingly beautiful... one day, one day in the future, I will have to undertake a journey in your footsteps.

I have no idea as to when, but this landscape definitely needs to be experienced!

Even in rain, it looks charming!
              With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
              Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Sorry for that long brake, i have busy times, but stay tuned, i will continue ASAP. Big promise!

Comment

Not only because of the Music, but also for a sea trip to the cliffs we decided to stay for two nights in Doolin. Unfortunately we now experienced very grey clouds with stormy rain and so the ships did not sail the next day and even not during day two. So we decided to do a road trip through the Burren area, a very rocky landscape with plants only inbetween those rocks. Interesting, but none of us took some pictures of this day. There was just nothing overwhelming like up to here everywhere on this trip... We visited Burren cave to see Europes longest free hanging stalaktite. 7,3 meters high, this is really impressing.

2017-05-15 13.20.59 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

It is only so high, because the floor is very slippery and so it's stalagmite counterpart is regularly falling each coupleofthousand years. Otherwise we could have seen just a column,

2017-05-15 13.24.50 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Comment

So on day two we gave up and followed the WAW to Galway, which was announced to us as important harbour town. Due to the rain we had not much motivation to walk, there was nothing attracting us, just a lot of traffic queueing in the streets so we decided to continue. During late afternoon the weather was improving and we found a nice campsite at Errisbeg near a small town called Roundstone.

It was even warm enough to open our pop-up roof, so it is possible to stand in there and you have lots of fresh air inside,

2017-05-16 18.23.23 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Time for an evening walk along a wonderful beach.

2017-05-16 18.51.04 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

As it was getting darker, it was time for a sundowner. Beamish Stout for me and pear cider for Regine, something we did not know before, but this is very tasty!!

2017-05-16 22.03.23 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Comment

The next morning we drove a short way back to Roundstone which i expected to look nicer in the morning sun. And i was right.

2017-05-17 10.26.56 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

It has a nice little harbour.

2017-05-17 10.28.27 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Can you imagine, why i prefer such villages instead of industrial towns like Galway?

2017-05-17 10.28.47 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Comment

Weather and mood change quick, as we had more clouds a few minutes later. Now we are back in more quiet areas, where the WAW is looking nearly always like this.

2017-05-17 11.45.00 (2) by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

We are now in Connemara, famous for it's horses and ponies, But our first stop was at Connemara Smokehouse near Ballyconeely where you can get very special smoked fish. Not cheap, but very delicious!

http://www.smokehouse.ie/

The next town was Clifden, where you can find some really nice hotels, however we stopped a bit later, because the view over a bay was attracting us. There was a footpath to an old castle (Clifdon Castle), but this was quite demolished. But you could see that Obelix was here before.

2017-05-17 12.52.44 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Another great stop was called "Sky Road Wild Atlantic Way Viewpoint". No further explanation necessary...

2017-05-17 13.10.50 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Comment

A few kilometers after this viewpoint we left the WAW to visit a manor park and manor house. Regine is very interested in such places and so i had to include a few of them into our route. For this day i had chosen Kylemore Abbey. And it was worth this visit!

First we walked through the park and botanic garden.

2017-05-17 15.28.51 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

As it is one of the most famous attactions of Ireland with many thousand visitors each year i was surprised that only two of the former more than twenty glass houses have been restored. Maybe the reason is that the area is an Abbey since 1920, before it was built and owned by a rich industrialist and his family.

2017-05-17 15.32.21 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Me don't need a castle. Such a nice gardener house ist great!

2017-05-17 15.37.56 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Comment

The interior is a little bit old school, but you can change it...

2017-05-17 15.38.51 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Soon history because of the CO2 discussion: heating with turf. Ireland will loose it's typical smell!!!

2017-05-17 15.41.44 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

View back.

2017-05-17 15.45.49 by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Comment

Working...
                            X