This is Germany. A trip through Northern Bavaria

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is Germany. A trip through Northern Bavaria

Last week we had a few days in some areas of Bavaria, which will be not so well known by most people. I post some pictures here to give you some impressions.

I will start in Bamberg. Bamberg is seated beside and in the river "Regnitz", which leads to the river "Main" and then to the "Rhine". Near Bamberg is the starting point of the "Rhein-Main-Donau" canal, the direct connection between North and Black Sea.

The town hall is situated on an island within the small river Regnitz and very colourful painted.

Two of the painted angels seem to climb out of the wall.

This is today the uppermost point to go with vessels. Further up you will need canoes. Or you have to change on the canal.

Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Bamberg is member of the UNESCO word heritage list. Just Prague hase more historical buildings in the centre of the city. Here more than 1.400 buildings remained in their historical shape. At the river bank there is a row of wonderful old houses and i show some them here:

Comment

Which one would you choose to live in??

Comment

Next i show you some pictures of the "Devils Cave" near Pottenstein. The system is open to the public on 1.500 meters, but even longer. Since it was opened in 1922 and then immediately saved without free admittance, all of the marvellous dripstones could be saved.

A cut through an about 100.000 year old dripstone:

One of the cave lakes was fine illuminated.

Dripstone Close-Up 1:

Dripstone Close Up 2:

Comment

Impressing large halls with dripstone fields:

Imagine the possibilities with a professional camera and a strong flashlight...

These were the best results with my automatic Canon PowerShot.

Nothing what you can have influence on. Just try and have luck or not...

Comment

Finally some pictures of the Wunsiedel rock labyrinth.

The walking trail is marked by coloured arrows...

...and leads over, under, between and beside the rocks. big fun for children.

In some corners you can find fluorescent moss. I have never seen that before:

Napoleons hat. 18 tons are pressing on 0.55 square meters.

I hope you enjoyed that short trip. For us it is again and again surprising, that we don't have to travel far to have wonderful new experiences.
            Last edited by Ralf__; October 7th, 2010, 15:37.

Comment

I get so excited when I see a new Ralf holiday trip! This one is wow from the outset, with that painted wall of the town hall. The cherubs emerging from the painted wall are delightful!
              I’ll take up the riverside houses question you’ve posed, and choose #3 photo2 –I want a balcony (never lived anywhere with a balcony) so will select the one with the blue towel - my bedroom would be a floor above because dormer windows are nice too. Perhaps I’ll have E as next door neighbour – pink shutters and flowers!

Oh just look at that dripstone! All your photos in the cave have turned out well. Can’t you just imagine me having fun exploring the rock labyrinth.

Comment

Awesome, what more can I say. There is so much more to Germany than I had ever expected and yet to see.

Thank you so much Ralf for opening my eyes.
                With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Very kind comments. Thank you all!!

Comment

Having completed my German farm holiday I have now had a taste of Bavaria. This is a beautiful and interesting thread, Ralf. I don't need to imagine the possibilities of a professional camera and flashlight in the caves, your images are very impressive as they are. I particularly love the second one in #4.
                    As to which house to choose, I would have the one with the tree in the last pic. in #2. I might lop one of the branches a little, but I would be able to watch the birds from my window above. Isn't it strange how the roof tiles of "my" house interlock with those of its neighbour? The roofs of all these old houses are interesting, some of them are a variation of a mansard. Lovely.
                    Thank you, Ralf.
                    Last edited by wherrygirl; October 18th, 2010, 22:05.
                    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Unfortunately this thread reminds me that I "almost" talked my wife into going to Germany this winter. Bamberg was high on my list of places to visit. I know my wife will like the architecture and old buildings if I can just get her to give Germany a try. She went to school in Belgium so she "thinks" she has something against Germany. I don't know if it's the wars or the food (she has more French taste while I fancy a good sauerbraten and a bier).

Comment

Conversation at work:
                        -"Where have you been??"
                        -"Oh..., just a short trip to Bavaria!"

What a great way to start a new day! Thank you so much for showing us this, Ralf!

Can't help being impressed by those river bank houses. I figure the builders didn't have a yardstick, not a angle measurer and last but not least, I don't belive they had a level bar

Thanks again, Ralf...., for this nice tour acompanied by a good cup of coffee
                        "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Very nice to have further readers with kind comments in this thread. It is astonishing, how everyone finds his "own" house and they're all different!!

The builders of the houses could build very exactly, believe me, and they had all these mentioned tools. But they had to build with wood and that is nature. And nature is not straight...

And Dane, your wife can be sure, that she will get very tasty food in Germany. That is one of the oldest legends, that we only eat fat, heavy food - especially in comparison to the people from Belgium (who invented the French Fries??)!! This could be an idea for a new thread... pictures of food... let me think about it.

And hey! The war ended 65 years ago... there are still very few people living, which had an active role during that. There are two generations of people inbetween now - and i suppose we improved our behavior since then???!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X