This is Indonesia

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: This is Indonesia

Happy ending. The good prevail over evil as always.

Comment

nd then the dancers and musicians make themselves available for applause and group photos :

Comment

I have to attest to the fact that Indonesian traditional dance shows are pretty spectacular... I especially love the side-to-side movement of their eyes.
        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
        Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
        Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

From Bali and back to East Kalimantan starting with Balikpapan from the air, as seen when coming in to land at Sepinggan Airport, BPN:

Comment

Comment

On the ground:

Comment

Now, let me take you on a road trip from Balikpapan to the provincial capital of KalTim. The trip is not for the fainthearted.

I was driven on this stretch for the first time in 1974. The trip from Samarinda to Balikpapan took 5 - 6 hrs. on single lane gravel roads and hardly and other traffic.

In the early 2000s the roads had been paved, but was still mostly single lane, although the drivers managed to pass each other at some speed.
                Travel time had been deduced to approx. 4 hrs.

This time the trip was on new dual lane road, with some stretches even dual carriageway. Unfortunately the speed at which the drivers found it necessary to go had increased, the traffic was much denser and the overtaking technique heart stopping. Travel time is now just under three hours. (The "best" drivers does it in less than 2.5 hrs.

Leaving Balikpapan the number of motorbikes on the narrow street is a challenge:

There is only one way of getting anywhere, ignore them:

Shops and roadside stalls are everywhere along the road for the first 10 km or so:

Comment

But we eventually got out of town and onto roads less congested:

Comment

Some small villages along the road:

Villagers frequently ride their motorbikes against the traffic, since they are just going a short distance and taking off on the same side.

Roadside stalls selling Durian, Rambutan, Jakefruite and other locally grown fruit and produce is all along the road:

All usually selling the same long the same stretch of road.

Some places the road goes through defunct Rubber Plantations:

Since nobody is tapping the trees or tending the grounds, the undergrowth is getting dense.

A couple of Dayak hunters on their way to somewhere:

Comment

We are approaching Samarinda:

But still on the South side of the river.

The bridge across Mahakam River:

The bridge that fell down a few weeks ago is further upriver.

Samarinda seen from the bridge:

The traffic is getting dense. Motorbikes are everywhere again:

The main Mosque in Samarinda:
                      Last edited by ombugge; December 27th, 2011, 18:10.

Comment

We have reached the Hotel:

Just under three hours from Sepinggan Airport, Balikpapan.

Comment

A walking street vendor in Samarinda selling Bakso on the run:

Comment

This is one of the most incredible threads, Ombugge, showing us the diversity of cultures, customs, living conditions and landscapes of Indonesia. There is so much I want to say about it, I'd love to sit at your side commenting on it, picture by picture and ask what is that creature in the tank at the restaurant, what are the traditional dances about, is there just the one stone carver in that village or are there more, why this and where is that........
                            I had to laugh at #115.4 where mother has her helmet on but the child????? And seen over here mother would, probably, be arrested on the spot for endangering the life of her daughter by having her stand on the bike like that.
                            Thank you very much for all the photos and information. I hope there will be more in due course.
                            Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                            Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Yes Indonesia is a very large country, with a lot more diversified ethnicity than in the native European population, from Melanesian in the East to Arab decedents in Ache. My favourite country to retire in, one day.

All post more from Samarinda in Ports of the Wold thread, but first some pictures from my departure from Balikpapan.

There are some very large residences in Balikpapan:

And some large and special administrative buildings:

Leafing from Sepinggan Airport:

Comment

"Down town" Balikpapan:

The Pertamina wharf in BPN:

The approaches to BPN harbour:

The Oil Field seen on the above picture is the YAKIN Field, which is situated on a mud bank just outside the harbour with only 20-30 ft. waterdepth.
                                I placed the first Exploration rig on location on this field in 1975.

Here a blow-up of the field from the last picture:

The field is now about to be depleted. (That say something about long I have been in the Oil & Gas game)
                                Last edited by ombugge; December 28th, 2011, 15:43.

Comment

Working...
                                X