No announcement yet.

This is Indonesia

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had very little time in Ambon on the way out to Fak Fak, but a little more on the way back. Time enough to grab a meal at the nearest "Rumah Makan":

The waitress was appropriately attired for the occasion:

(The last two also posted in the Airports of the World thread, although more appropriate here)

A "Shopping street" near the airport with competing coffee shops and other shops:

Comment

A land rig drilling working near Ambon town was seen on the appproach from Fak Fak:

I hope I'll have an opportunity to visit Ambon again some day, with time enough to visit some of the sites in town.

The tourist industry is in its infancy in all of East Indonesia and mainly centred on diving. The eastern provinces, including the Moluccas, is now calm and should be prime area for Adventure Cruises. There are places and islands here that even most Indonesian have never heard of.

The Moluccas was once known as the "Spice Islands" and the first places the Portuguese set up trading posts when they reached the area in the early 1500s. There are still trases of that part of history, not just in Timor L'este, but also in Ambon and on Ternate, perfectly formed cone volcano a bit further north, off Halmahera.

Comment

Fak Fak, West Papua, Indonesia

Now on to Fak Fak, a town in the province of West Papua.
        It is situated on the Lower Beak of the Parrot's Head (if you wonder why it is called so, have a look at a map of Papua. (The Indonesian part of the island of New Guinea)

The town was established by the Dutch back in colonial days and has a large population of non-indigenous people, even from that time. It has a well protected harbour and is an administration and trading centre of some importance.

I have posted widely on the Fak Fak in other threads earlier so this is kind of a follow up.

The town of Fak Fak is situated in hilly terrain with steep slopes:

Comment

It is quite densely populated near the harbour:

And with very steep slops:

The red Chinese Gate marks the entrance to the local "China Town" and main shopping street.
          Last edited by ombugge; April 18th, 2011, 15:14.

Comment

With "suburbs" both to the East:

Connected by a coast road that looks quite spectacular:

Sorry about the blurred image by I thought it worth posting anyhow.
            Last edited by ombugge; April 18th, 2011, 15:17.

Comment

Suburbs stretches along the coast to the West:

The airport is situated on the left of this picture and quite high in the hills.

Comment

An island in the outer harbour has a very large monument which appears to be of a Warrior in full regalia:

But I never got close enough for a good picture with my simple camera

Approaching to Fak Fak harbour from the west is through this fairly wide, deep and unobstructed strait:

While the Eastern approach is through this strait with some nasty coral patches near the entrance:

Comment

The local bank makes its presence known on arrival:

Leaving Fak Fak towards the West there are a few Kampungs and a road along the coast:

And some reportedly excellent Dive resorts:

That is the diving is excellent, but the standard of the resorts are maybe not to everybody's liking.

As we reach the end of the lower beak the population density gets far less:

That's all from Fak Fak for this time. Whether I will ever return again is an open question, but it will not be at the same interval, that's for sure.
                  Last edited by ombugge; April 18th, 2011, 15:20.

Comment

When I check deep in my heart, I really miss Asia and the scenery!

Thanks for these interesting images taking me back home again.
                    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                    Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                    Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Re: Batam, Riau Province, Indonesia

Many will know of Batam, at least from other threads on CVF.
                      It is an island in the Riau Province of Indonesia, which covers most of the island in the South China Sea that belongs to Indonesia, but has it's capital Pakanbaru on main land Sumatra.

Batam is only 45 min. by ferry from Singapore, but many decades in time. Although rapidly developing into a modern metropolis of sort, with more than 1 mill. inhabitants today, from a few thousand in 1970, when I first visited the island.

Here is a link that tells the history of Batam in broad strokes: http://www.batam-island-info.com/bat...d-culture.html

Batam is a centre of Ship Building and Ship Repairs today, with over 50 active Shipyards and all the associated services, mostly concentrated at Tg. Unchang on the west side of the island.

Here is a pictures of some of the shipyards:

Comment

Re: Batam, Indonesia

Some yards are building complex Jack-up Rigs and Construction barges:

While others are mass producing simple Barges and Tugs:
                        Last edited by ombugge; June 13th, 2011, 11:37.

Comment

And a Offshore Construction Yard at Batu Ampar on the north coast of Batam:

Comment

But Batam is not only about shipyards. There is also a number of Hotels, Resorts and other touristy facilities:

Comment

Next door you find the "real" Batam, like this wooden pier:

Where you can get a taxiboat to take you to the Pirate's Den of Pulau Mati:
                              Last edited by ombugge; June 13th, 2011, 12:24.

Comment

Batam is connected by bridges and a highway to a string of islands to the south. This was built at very high expense to develop these islands, but the money run out before the rest of the infrastructure, such as electricity, water and sanitation was built, so you have a near untouched area with excellent roads and no activity to speak of.

Here is one of the few developments that got completed, but with hardly any visitors:

Comment

Working...
                                X