X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wherrygirl
    started a topic A Small Suffolk Town

A Small Suffolk Town

The meaning of the name Bunga.y has various interpretations, the usual one being that it is an Anglo-Saxon appellation meaning land owned by Bonna, a Saxon chief. It certainly has an excellent defensive position, being on raised land in a loop of the river Waveney and surrounded on three sides by marshy land. Much of the latter is in the adjoining county of Norfolk as the boundary line between the two counties lies along the river bed. A large part of the river’'s loop is occupied by our common, while the built-up part of the town sits in its neck.

The town's armorial bearings

P1190507 by wherrygirl, on Flickr

The elements making up the bearings are especially relative to Bunga.y - the Black Dog, the Castle, the river Waveney and, of course, the Wherry. They will all make an appearance sooner or later, no doubt. And the little note tucked into the left side of the framed picture? That gives the translation of the Latin motto: Let us hold fast to the old virtues.

Thijs suggested last year that with my knowledge of the town and its buildings I ought to do a thread about it. My response was that in fact I had already decided to do just that as I have many photos to show not only of what can be seen when walking about the area but also of the insides of some of the vernacular properties, photos that I took as part of the Bunga.y Society old buildings survey that I set up years ago. I am only now getting round to compiling the albums ready to put into our local museum for public reference. (My guilt feelings at the delay are almost overwhelming.)
    Some of those photos will appear in this thread, but it will not be all about buildings, anything might appear as the fancy takes me - so long as it concerns Bunga.y. And, as befits my home town, I’'m using the framing style as per my 366 thread. Well, it'’s special!
    Last edited by wherrygirl; March 21st, 2015, 20:12.

• wherrygirl
    replied
    Update on the street name signs: the Town Clerk has mailed that the Town Council has agreed to get the renovation done in time for the100th anniversary, in 2018, of the end of WW1. The Town Trust has agreed a contribution to the cost. I replied that that was excellent news.

Leave a comment:

• wherrygirl
    commented on 's reply
    Huh! BAH! It's a wonder you have time to do any driving with all this cheek.

• janihudi
    replied
    But you would had lost your bet. LOL
    nanananaahhhhhh

Leave a comment:

• wherrygirl
    commented on 's reply
    Well, well, well. Yep, I guessed what I'd probably find as I read your last comment! But then, you see, if I remembered all the clever things I said I'd never have time for anything else.

• janihudi
    commented on 's reply
    Okay My Big Sweetheart.
    Go to your Albion the norfolk wherry thread, post 11.
    Last sentence.
    Nanananaahhhna.LOL

• wherrygirl
    commented on 's reply
    Yagnub Don't remember that one - bet it was yours.
    But now I can admit it freely - what a relief.

• janihudi
    commented on 's reply
    Ivy even lived for a while in Yagnub

• wherrygirl
    commented on 's reply
    That is absolutely excellent news, Mark. It gave usa lot of fun working out ways to circumvent the ridiculous restriction, but it was so annoying if you were using a "forbidden word" a lot in a post and had to remember to apply your variation each time.
    You have ironed out so many annoyances, Mark, apart from the work involved in doing the upgrade itself, and thank you yet again for it all.
    BUNGAYYYYYYYY!

• janihudi
    commented on 's reply
    Finally now everyone here knows where she lives.
    In BUNGAY.
    The first time ever here.

• janihudi
    commented on 's reply
    Through the g.a.y part in
    Bungay.
    Thatswhy Ivy placed dots in the name.
    The censorfilter of the forum founds that more then offensive

• nari
    replied
    What is wrong with Bungay as a name anyway??? Is it thought to be offensive to some folk???

Leave a comment:

• PoloUK
    replied
    I found out how to selectively turn off the censorship filters. A resounding welcome to the town that could not previously say its name - good evening Bungay!!

Leave a comment:

• wherrygirl
    replied
    English Heritage is a charity which cares for our historic buildings and other important sites. It runs a blog, apparently, and it has now put Bunga.y on the map for all to see! If you go to:

https://heritagecalling.com/2017/11/...rst-world-war/ our town is highlighted because of our street name signs erected in 1919 - called the Peace Year - and bearing the year being commemorated. The top picture is just one of those signs but scroll down and a few others will appear.

A few mails passing between us:

Good to see our Peace Year street signs gaining national prestige, and also good to know there are plans to get them renovated.
    Best wishes, C.....

I can't quite remember whether it was the Town Council or the Bunga.y Society who some years ago suggested renovation of these historic street signs. Although obviously in need of some work being done on them they are not in too bad a condition, so maybe the Town Council did get something done at the time. P.... M......, you would know.
    It's excellent to have a mention by Historic England.

Cheers,
    Ivy

This is great publicity for Bungay. As far as renovation is concerned, I think the town council certainly talked about having the signs renovated some years ago, but I’m not sure if it took place. But on Wednesday or Thursday this week, I aaw the owner of the house in Lower Olland Street repainting the street sign attached to his house, with a very steady hand. It now looks splendid and new for Remembrance Sunday.
    Best wishes
    T....

Leave a comment:

• janihudi
    replied
    yes i do know it and remembered well,it was high grass then aswel.it surprised me that they leave it like that.
    normaly they keep it short (atleast at this side of the pond)

but now i see you pics about the arches i'm dissapointed we didn't go to the backside of the church

Leave a comment:

Working...
X