No announcement yet.

A Small Suffolk Town

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yes i do know it and remembered well,it was high grass then aswel.it surprised me that they leave it like that.
    normaly they keep it short (atleast at this side of the pond)

but now i see you pics about the arches i'm dissapointed we didn't go to the backside of the church
    best regards Thijs

Comment

English Heritage is a charity which cares for our historic buildings and other important sites. It runs a blog, apparently, and it has now put Bunga.y on the map for all to see! If you go to:

https://heritagecalling.com/2017/11/...rst-world-war/ our town is highlighted because of our street name signs erected in 1919 - called the Peace Year - and bearing the year being commemorated. The top picture is just one of those signs but scroll down and a few others will appear.

A few mails passing between us:

Good to see our Peace Year street signs gaining national prestige, and also good to know there are plans to get them renovated.
      Best wishes, C.....

I can't quite remember whether it was the Town Council or the Bunga.y Society who some years ago suggested renovation of these historic street signs. Although obviously in need of some work being done on them they are not in too bad a condition, so maybe the Town Council did get something done at the time. P.... M......, you would know.
      It's excellent to have a mention by Historic England.

Cheers,
      Ivy

This is great publicity for Bungay. As far as renovation is concerned, I think the town council certainly talked about having the signs renovated some years ago, but I’m not sure if it took place. But on Wednesday or Thursday this week, I aaw the owner of the house in Lower Olland Street repainting the street sign attached to his house, with a very steady hand. It now looks splendid and new for Remembrance Sunday.
      Best wishes
      T....

Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

I found out how to selectively turn off the censorship filters. A resounding welcome to the town that could not previously say its name - good evening Bungay!!
        Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

• janihudi
          janihudi commented
          Editing a comment
          Finally now everyone here knows where she lives.
          In BUNGAY.
          The first time ever here.

• wherrygirl
          wherrygirl commented
          Editing a comment
          That is absolutely excellent news, Mark. It gave usa lot of fun working out ways to circumvent the ridiculous restriction, but it was so annoying if you were using a "forbidden word" a lot in a post and had to remember to apply your variation each time.
          You have ironed out so many annoyances, Mark, apart from the work involved in doing the upgrade itself, and thank you yet again for it all.
          BUNGAYYYYYYYY!

What is wrong with Bungay as a name anyway??? Is it thought to be offensive to some folk???

Comment

• wherrygirl
          wherrygirl commented
          Editing a comment
          Yagnub Don't remember that one - bet it was yours.
          But now I can admit it freely - what a relief.

• janihudi
          janihudi commented
          Editing a comment
          Okay My Big Sweetheart.
          Go to your Albion the norfolk wherry thread, post 11.
          Last sentence.
          Nanananaahhhna.LOL

• wherrygirl
          wherrygirl commented
          Editing a comment
          Well, well, well. Yep, I guessed what I'd probably find as I read your last comment! But then, you see, if I remembered all the clever things I said I'd never have time for anything else.

But you would had lost your bet. LOL
        nanananaahhhhhh
        best regards Thijs

Comment

• wherrygirl
          wherrygirl commented
          Editing a comment
          Huh! BAH! It's a wonder you have time to do any driving with all this cheek.

Update on the street name signs: the Town Clerk has mailed that the Town Council has agreed to get the renovation done in time for the100th anniversary, in 2018, of the end of WW1. The Town Trust has agreed a contribution to the cost. I replied that that was excellent news.
        Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
        Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Working...
        X