X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is Tuscany

As a birthday gift to our mother, my brother, sister and me decided to spend a week in Tuscany in an old, but restored farmhouse with the complete family of 9 persons.
    Since my parents and my brother are customers of a mail order business of Italian food and this company is also renting holiday appartments for good customers, we decided to rent one of their houses. They sell only to Germany, therefore their page is in German but you can see some video impressions here: (scroll down to choose)
    http://www.lavialla.it/de/auf-der-fa...f-der-fattoria

After a nearly snowless winter, the start in the easter holidays was promising:

Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

900km south from home, near Arezzo, we arrived at our holiday residence. The weather was much better and we approached at our house for the next week.

It is an ensemble of two houses, which are completely refurbished and modernized, with heating and modern baths, but with materials and furniture in old style and - where possible - really old.

Built at a hillside, each room has another level, that was quite funny.

The both houses were connected in the first floor by this arcade.

Comment

• Sigve
      Sigve commented
      Editing a comment
      This was really something!

This looks very promising Ralf. Looking forward to see how your vacation continues.

Comment

Great start Ralf - Tuscany!

My first thought is wine, wine and some more wine!

Can't wait to see how this journey will unfold!
      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
      Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
      Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Ralf, your photos show such an inviting prospect, you must have been thrilled as you approached it. And, for your mother, a great gift to delight her.
        Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
        Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Wow...!
          The last three images there draw me back to a week-end stay in Abruzzo area and Lanciano in Italy back in 2004.
          We had a dinner at a restaurant in the hills near Lanciano one day...., a restaurant looking much like that stone house of your there.

Enjoy the benefits of Italy, fine dine and wine!!!!

(Do I have to point out that I look forward to an extended pictorial report? ;-) )
          "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

#2/1 has my imagination racing! A gate and goodness knows what lies beyond! Well, of course you go on to show us, but I'm writing in retrospect about how I reacted when I was first looking through this thread (but didn't have time to reply). That entrance reminds me of several such places, one of which was rather spooky, but happily your charming house isn't!

I hope you will show more of that arcade / balcony from the inside view. You could stage a Romeo and Juliet scene there in #2/4, but I think we have to wait for Kiki's travel report for that! It seems to be an Italian Spring here on CVF!

Comment

Thank you all for the nice comments. Actually we did not took pictures from inside the house, but others of the family did. As soon as i get their pictures i will complete this thread.
              Over an area of about 10x10km a number of old refurbished farmhouses are spread and they are all connected with footpaths. So it was a real delight to walk through the woods. Here is a nice view over the village Castiglion Fibocchi.

Some places are still waiting to be awaken again. This one will be tough, because no path to this house is wide enough to enable access with a vehicle. So workers would need a helicopter...

Further away, about 10km, you can see Arezzo.

Comment

The footpaths are wonderful, there are millions of lizards rushing away, when you are walking there and the woods are full of boars.

Some signs help for orientation but many are missing and some animal paths are more frequented than the walking paths. Fortunately they have quite good maps in these houses.

So finally we reached the ruin we saw before.

Comment

On a day trip we visited first Arezzo. Some impressions, mot people will know the famous churches, but i want to show the character of the town. Therefore i mostly walk two or three streets beside the tourist routes. Via fra le Torri:

Via San Lorenzo:

Comment

Later we drove to Siena.

The view from Via San Agala shows the position of Siena high up on a hill.

The perfect ice cream is handmade here:

Via San Pietro, two guys, Fabio and Francesco, are living their dream: Make people happy with their own icecream creations. Delicious!

Comment

I keep coming here to look at that footpath in #9/1, and needed some encouragement to explore the town with you ...ah, perhaps the ice-cream is what I need.

Comment

a great place to walk around Ralf
                        best regards Thijs

Comment

The thing that is most amazing to me is that we can still see a lot of the "original" and really old architecture.

Not much of what we build today will be left in 100 years from now.
                          With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                          Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                          Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                          Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Two additional pictures from Siena:

The restaurants have to be creative in some places to use the space outside.

Basilica di San Domenico.

Comment

Working...
                            X