No announcement yet.

A few images from Burma

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll leave you after that leisurely afternoon with a view looking past the adjacent Myanmar National Airlines building towards the Strand Hotel . It is taken from a pedestrian bridge over the busy road and onto the waterfront. I'm sure there will be a photo or two to show you from around there another week.

Comment

• ombugge
      ombugge commented
      Editing a comment
      I did stay at The Strand a couple of times back in the 1970's when it was run down and without A/C, even in the rooms, and the service was deplorable.
      Still, it was better than the alternative, the Inya Lake Hotel that was built and run by the Russians and smelled of mold and decaying wood. (Now also renovated and well managed)

BTW; Across that walk bridge and down towards the river there is a very good Chinese Restaurant on the second floor of Ferry Terminal.

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
    ...and the view of my table, through at the window on the right and an ideal vantage point.

That is such ana amazing view - WOW! The almost haze-like light in the other room makes this so moody, and beautiful. So perfect!

Oh, yummy, the cakes! I even spotted a tiny Crem Brûlée! (I think). I have a brain finely tuned to pick up even the tiniest smudge of that dessert.

With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Close to the Strand Hotel, on the corner of Pansodan Street, is the Port Authority Building which dates from 1920. The tower is especially impressive, and seems to have distracted me from taking more photos of the building, though perhaps that happened because I didn't cross the roads at this busy junction to get a viewpoint of the building as a whole.

Comment

On the subject of things maritime, here is a view of a local ferry. Bathed in the special late afternoon light as sunset approaches, it is an image I like a lot.

A little farther along I encounter more modern (since 2016) water transport - Yangon Water Bus. Here is a link to their website: http://www.yangonwaterbus.com/

Here's a tug photo. Mhan Aung-3, IMO 9738557, in the middle was built in 2014. I like this photo for the juxtaposition of the tugs with the traditional craft in the foreground.

Comment

Across the Strand Road - a mix of architectural styles.

This is the British Embassy. It was originally built in 1900 for the Glasgow shipping and insurance company J. & F. Graham.

Back at Pansodan Street, looking across at the opposite corner from the Port Authority building is the former Accountant General's Office and Currency Department. There were originally three wings, built between 1900 and 1907. Some further construction was of brick and resulted in structural problems. In 1942 Japanese bombing destroyed one wing. While parts of the building are in use today, some is in a dilapidated, overgrown and neglected state.

Last edited by Seagull; Yesterday, 21:18.

Comment

Working...
          X