Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A few images from Burma

A few images from Burma

Many years ago, I went to Burma for a sessions of meetings and negotiations, and to visit the former coastal steamer Kong Olav.

Here is an image of Victoria Point in Burma.

With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
    Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
    Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

A few images from the Andaman Club Resort:

With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
    Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
    Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

I wish there were a safe way to travel around Burma....I'd love to!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ehp View Post
        I wish there were a safe way to travel around Burma....I'd love to!!!
        There are Cruises on the Irrawaddy River, from Rangoon and all the way to Mandalay. Good hotels are available in Rangoon and organized tours to the famous temples of Bagan is arranged. Stay at the refurbished Strand Hotel, it is like Raffles in Singapore, the Oriental in Bangkok or Taj Mahal in Bombay and has become a tourist attraction by itself.

As for safety, I don't know of any safety issues there at the moment. It may not be wise to travel in the weeks before the upcoming election, which coincide with the Cyclone season in November/December, but other than that Burma is as safe for tourists as anywhere else, as long as you stay within the law and don't try to "save" Aung San Suu Kyi.

But are Americans allowed to travel to Burma as tourists? There is after all an embargo on trade by your own Government?
        The Burmese don't have a problem with Americans visiting, however.

Comment

Yangon (Rangon) in Myamar (Burma) revisited.

As mentioned in other threads lately I have just visited Yangon (or Rangon?) which is my favourite large town in S.E.Asia.
          Why??? Because it is a nostalgic walk back in time. It is Asia as it was when I first got here in the 1960s.

Admittedly there are some changes here to, with new and comfortable hotels and some high rise buildings, but the old downtown area around "The Strand" is largely unchanged since my first visit here in 1973.

Speaking of hotels. When I was coming here regularly in 1975-76 there were two hotels that was open to foreigners; the Inaya Lake Hotel, which was built and run by the Russians. It smelled mouldy and the food was mostly uneatable.

The other one was Stand Hotel, which had a few rooms with air-conditioning and the rest with fans and mosquito nets. The food was bland, but eatable and there were a few restaurants near by that served Burmese and Chinese food.

The hotel was run down, but you could see that it had been one of the "Grand Hotels of Asia" in it's glory days during the colonial area. (Together with the Raffels in Singapore, the Oriental in Bangkok and Penang, the Peninsula in Hong Kong and the Taj Mahal in Bombay among the most famous)

It has now been restored and is the top hotel for high end tourist in Rangon. I have visited a few times since restoration, but never stayed there. (I'm obviously not VIP enough for my Clients to spend that kind of money on accommodations for me)

This time I got time for two visits, first one evening and then during the day. Here is some pictures from my first visit.

The front entrance:

Comment

The Lobby:

Looking back towards the front door:

Comment

The main Restaurant:

The Stand Cafe':

One of the shops selling "bric-a-brack":

If you have to ask the price you probably can't afford it anyhow.

Comment

Now, after all that "sight-seeing" it is time to find out where the bar is.
                Ahh yes, now I remember, there it is:

Appropriately named I should say.

The bar was full of noisy tourists, so I only took this one picture that night:

More pictures from the bar later.

There were two groups of tourists sitting at opposite end in the bar. One consisted of Danes, Norwegian and Icelandic, while the other were a few Swedes, all from the same tour group. Does that say something about Nordic brotherhood???

I'll be back with more pictures from Stand Hotel and Yangon later. I have loads of pictures from the bustling markets, selling everything one could possibly need for Thangyat, and a lot of street view from around The Stand and other places.

Not much Pagodas though and I did not visit the Shwedagon Pagoda this time. That is well photographed by others and available on the web.

Comment

Great to see these hotel photos….I love to see this kind of place.

Comment

I remember visiting this hotel. We had a wonderful puppet demonstration and there are some lovely shops. I bought a few strands of pearls at VERY affordable prices...(I admit, I'm a pearl FREAK...I love wearing them!!!) My favorite strand is of mixed black and cream colored, imperfect shaped pearls. Also some lovely pink baroque pearls....)

Comment

Originally posted by ehp View Post
                      I remember visiting this hotel. We had a wonderful puppet demonstration and there are some lovely shops.
                      The same Puppet demonstration (probably) had just completed in the Stand Cafe' when I walked in, so it must be a tradition of sort.

One sign of a great hotel with good service; I walked in and sat down in The Bar and ordered a local beer, yet I was offered a variety of snacks, just like the hotel guests. Admittedly the Myanmar Lager cost many times the price in the local Coffee Shops nearby, but the ambiance was also very different.

Comment

Let me show you Strand Hotel in daylight.
                        First a few external views:

The "up river" side:

The "down river" side:

Comment

And back to The Bar for some shots not being disturbed by over enthusiastic Scandinavians:

Comment

And the obligatory Pool table:

And the test of what is a true "Grand Hotel", a Public Toilet:

I'll get around to other vistas from Yangon in a while.

Comment

Enough about Strand Hotel, lets have a look at the rest of Yangon, or at least part of the town, starting with the famouse Inaya Lake:

This is an older picture, taken in 2005.

And a view across the lake from the office building I attended this time:

A view in the opposite direction:

Ministry of Forestry Building at the centre.

Comment

Working...
                              X