BARCELONA

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BARCELONA

In october I spent a week in Barcelona, a town I had not been before.
    Even though Catalunia is a nice province my choice was to stay the whole time in the city so I rented a flat downtown near the Barri Gothic
    in order to visit mostly by walk.
    I really like this city, proud of its traditions but open to the modernity, a place where you can read History on the frontages, take adventage of a lot of museums, find cute galleries, ear all kind of music, wander along the Ramblas, eat late and swim in the Mediterranean.
    Fortunately the weather was nice (25-26 degrees) with a blue sky and the sea at about 21 degrees that is a dream for a Normandy’s son!
    Each neighbourhood has its own touch so, in the same stroll you get various atmospheres linked to the human activities. Eixemple and its shopping Streets, Raval for contemporary entertainment, Barceloneta the former fishers district still busy, the quiet Montjuic, the beach from Olympic to the old port. And of course the Ramblas allways crowded , where you can find anything you want…included pickpockets.
    Officially Barcelona is « Spanish ».Officially. But it lives with a catalunian spirit that it’s quite different and next year I would not be surprised it vote YES in referendum about its independance.Don’t know if it is a good thing but anyway I like this rebellious temperament!
    To begin, views from Guell Park.

La Sagrada Familia of Gaudi still in constrution, and one of the Olympic tower by the sea.

The AGBAR tower, Jean Nouvel architect.

Comment

The Guell park with the sinuous bench designed by Gaudi.

Comment

A welcome addition to the cities featured in our "Pilot Guides". Two particular reasons why I’m so pleased. One is that I have only been once to Barcelona and had very limited time to explore the city (ok, ok ...I admit i...I was there for the Spanish F1 Grand Prix!). The other reason is that it is so special a place for art and architecture, and those are subjects which are so clearly very 'you' Yves, and which you always share with so much fine taste and erudition ...and humour too! And your 'sense of place' communicates in what you write and photograph. In other words the ideal travel companion in a thread like this.

You can tell I'm already hooked because I’ve already got out a map to orient myself in those viewpoint views, and remind myself where the Guell park is. Life and art really come together in such suroundings.

Comment

Thank you Cecilia for this so kind comment.....undeserved.

Comment

During the period 1880-1930 Barcelona changed a lot with the creation of the new neighbourhood Eixample where architects imported the Art Nouveau style in its Catalonian interpretation called Modernismo characterized by vegetal and animal motifs with gothic additions.
            Nowadays these buildings are one of the main attractions in town so the Passeig de Gratia is always full of tourists warming up their cameras around Batlo and Perdrera houses.

PERDRERA

BATLO

inside detail

Comment

MODERNISMO SREET FURNITURE

Comment

It is really good to see these photos of yours, Yves. That Sagrada Familia - still under construction, though I see in Wiki that they are hoping to have it completed by the centenary of Gaudi's death.
                I love his design for that sinuous seat in Guell park with its mosaics and animal heads on the rear. Do you know anything about the strange little chapel with its tall, slender spire, Yves? it looks almost like a toy, like a child's Wendy House, big enough to go inside but able to hold only a few people.
                The Pedrero architecture I like, its curves echoing Gaudi's, but the Batlo building amuses me - so sugary. However, I would sooner have that than some of the concrete blocks that were erected here in the 1960's, apologies for architecture.
                The flimsy sandals I bought in Barcelona while there for a month in the 1960's soon wore out, but I still have the little fan. That was no affectation, but I was there in August and most women carried one out of sheer necessity. I can still snap it open with the flourish that I perfected then! I was staying with a Spanish friend and when out roaming one day we came upon a ring of people dancing to the tune of the latest sardana - Princesa de Barcelona. We watched for a moment, looked at each other, then linked hands with those in the ring and joined in, singing and dancing.
                You are bringing back happy memories. Thank you.
                There are some interesting tables at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalan_independence showing the recent rapid increase in those wanting independance for Cataluña. I wonder whether it will ever be achieved.
                Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

• yvneac
                  yvneac commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sorry Ivy I haven't more knowledges about the chapel.
                  But to give you a taste of sardana, look at these pics. taken near the cathedral.An orchestra played and naturally people came and danse.

Lovely Yves, thank you.
                Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Delighted that you not only visited and photographed these famous buildings, Yves, but also show us the street furniture and other details that contribute to the overall look of the Modernismo style.

Comment

Thinking about Barcelona we first evocate Gaudi due to his masterpiece Sagrada Familia but the city is rich of other architects which gave their own touch to the public buildings or private houses.
                    Maybe the Palau de la Musica Catalana created by Lluis Domenech is my favorite modernist monument.
                    The lantern from my balcony.

Comment

Comment

By night after a concert.

Comment

LA SAGRADA FAMILIA

Frontage

If you want to visit book by internet....or queue up about two hours.

Inside

Comment

From inside the spire.

Since the Sagrada Familia is still in construction, sometimes you meet strange angels up there.

Comment

Working...
                            X