Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is Sweden? Images from Sweden go here!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is Sweden? Images from Sweden go here!

Continuing this thread from the old forum:
    http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/...?p=39819#39819

On the old forum a few weeks ago I posted some of my photos and also web cam images of the Christmas straw goat in Gävle, Sweden.
    Perhaps I was luckier to see the goat last year than I thought - because this years goat has just been burnt down. At least he made it to Christmas. Here is a webcam image from today (from www.merjuligavle.se) which shows the rather sad remains of the goat’s skeleton.

Here is one I took of Turning Torso in Malmö.

Infamy, Infamy.... They've got it in for me! Said The Laughing Assassin.

Comment

This is one of the coolest buildings I know... I would really love to see the apartments inside. I bet they are as awesome as the design.
      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
      Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
      Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Unfortunately there is no public access. I too would have loved to have seen inside.
        Infamy, Infamy.... They've got it in for me! Said The Laughing Assassin.

Comment

That's just wild......

I had a laugh at the thread title...isn't that what Norwegians have been asking for centuries?? "What IS Sweden?"

Comment

Originally posted by ehp View Post
            That's just wild......

I had a laugh at the thread title...isn't that what Norwegians have been asking for centuries?? "What IS Sweden?"
            Hahaha...., we make jokes about eachother (often silly jokes, if you ask me), but personally, I like Sweden and swedes very much.
            After coming home from vacations by car to Sweden, it usually don't take long before I want to go back.
            And Sweden is a great country for people interested in old architechture, old bits and pieces and such, because they didn't have any 'World War II' over there. No bombing, no burning down of properties, no destroying of things and so on.
            So, in my eyes, Sweden IS a great place!

(Nope, no irony).
            "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Christmas Goat has arrived!

Now I am one of those people that don’t like thinking about Christmas too early – seeing decorations and things in the shops in October and November etc.

But there is one special thing which for me is the start of Christmas – the building of the huge straw goat in Gävle, Sweden. You can read all about this goat (including about the year I actually visited it in person) in my previous posts here and in old forum:
              http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/...?p=39819#39819

But right now the important news is that they are building it TODAY – Thursday 26 November 2009,
              And you can watch it by going here
              http://www.merjuligavle.se
              and choosing Bockenkamera1 or Bockenkamera2 looking in the opposite direction.

The lorry has just arrived with some “prefabricated “ parts! Oh, I am sooooooo excited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

With one thing or another happening, I totally forgot to show you some webcam scenes of the building of the Gävle Christmas goat on 26 November 2009.
                Thank goodness for that you may have been thinking . . . but no – I’ve now remembered – there is no escape <insert evil grin here, as pakarang sometimes says!!!!!>

It’s early morning and a lorry has already arrived with the prefabricated legs which the crane lifts into position.

Two hours later the lorry has returned with the body . . .

. . . but it seems ages before it is finally secured on its legs. Men have been up and down ladders and even disappearing right inside the goat! Hope all the men were finally accounted for!

Comment

The webcam that looks in the opposite direction captures a surreal moment when the head is dangling in the air!

Oh good, they’ve got the head the right way round and fastened it on! Meanwhile “ thatching” is going on to tidy up the joins in the straw body.

The horns are put in place.

Comment

Work continues the following day, the horn lights are connected, lots more trimming around the tail, and then the red ribbon is triumphantly put in place. But there will be much clearing up to be done, and completion of the rustic fence surrounding the goat.

Here is a later view from December 10 showing the lit horn lights . . .

. . . and, on December 15, the goat finally gets his first experience of SNOW!

Comment

That's a big - and cute - goat!
                      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com
                      Old forum: http://captainsvoyage.7.forumer.com/
                      Join us: Save the "Kong Olav" on facebook

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Re: What is Sweden? Images from Sweden go here!

It’s been a couple of years since I shared Gävle Christmas Goat webcam watching with you – and I completely missed it last year with being away.

So here is a really nice webcam capture from a few days ago, December 4

But unfortunately this is the sorry state this morning:
                        Poor Julbocken didn’t even make it to the Lucia celebrations which are today.

Excuse me while I go and comfort my Julbocken Christmas Decoration….

Comment

Looks like you captured the famous "goat" just in time:
                          http://www.vgtv.no/#!/video/59391/he...-på-julebukken
                          An annual affair apparently.

Comment

Hi, I didn't actually know that we had a thread for Sweden!
                            That goat affair in Gävle is almost becoming ridicuous. "Yeah yeah, look a here - we can burn things..." How cool can that become???

Comment

Oh I know Tommi. Nevertheless I am glad that the tradition of building this goat continues as part of the “Mer Jul i Gävle” annual festivities, for it gives enormous pleasure and delight to so many.

I was at a conference in Uppsala in 2007 and extended my stay in Sweden with a few days in Gävle which I had previously visited only in summertime, though I always followed the goat on the webcam annually. I’ll never forget the moment when I first set eyes on the goat for real. I can truly say that it was as extraordinary and actually even more special a moment than my first sight of many a famous landmark in cities like Paris, Rome, Kuala Lumpur, Sydney….

The Henry Moore sculpture glimpsed under the legs of the Julbocken:

I had originally posted some photos from that visit on our old forum. Pakarang had started the thread there and called it What is Sweden? Images from Sweden go here! rather than the more conventional “This is Sweden”, with a charming and quintessentially Swedish image of a little island with a little red house with white windows and doors and of course the blue and yellow flag on a flagpole!

So I just kept that title when posting about an earlier demise of the goat here on our new board. Now we have more Swedish threads naturally though I think this one might still remain handy for little Swedish things that don’t quite go anywhere else, as well as news and more general items.

Oh, I just had a request to post the photo of another enthusiastic visitor who loves the Julbocken!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X