X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steve.B
    started a topic What place is this?

What place is this?

A little competition/puzzle for you all. Along the same lines as the 'Which Hurtigruten' thread, but this one is for shore based things.

In the image below is a famous building (marked within the red line), can you guess what building it is?

Too difficult? Need a clue? Well, I would give you one, but there are two very good clues in the photo, one clue should give you a good idea where in the world the place is, and the other clue in the photo should tell you what the famous building is.

The second clue may not be obvious, but you will kick yourself when realise what it is

Can you spot the two clues? Have a look and try to work it out, if you guess correctly then feel free to post your own picture puzzle.

• janihudi
    replied
    OIstein, it's to you to make a new puzzle.

Leave a comment:

• pakarang
    replied
    CONGRATULATIONS!

That was a difficult one--- googling so many things and getting lost in the WWW. I just could not find out the right place!

Leave a comment:

• janihudi
    replied
    yes you're right , it's Weilburg.
    searching on google for the gate ,nothing came up .
    i thought it was a arc the triumf thing,,search for that nothing, search for triomf tor (german) nothing ,sieger tor also nothing, so even for me it became a hunt for images and names for the gate.
    finally i found '' land tor '' and bingo, but i realise that it would be a hard task if not knowing where to go.
    than i saw the shipstunnel images ,and thought it was better to gave you all that cleu.

red line, i drove
    bleu line ,the shipstunnel
    yellow circle , the gate
    orange star ,about the place i make the image
    purple Arrow, direction to the gate of the image
    for a closer look on google earth ,just type weilburg Germany

so Oistein ,torture us with the next puzzle

Leave a comment:

• Oistein
    replied
    After two and av half months search .
    The city must be:
    Weilburg.

The mentioned tunel is:
    Weilburger Schifffahrtstunnel

Weilburger Schifffahrtstunnel is the oldest and longest navigable ship tunnel in Germany.
    It passes under a length of 195 meters the Mühlberg, on which the city Weilburg is located.
    The tunnel was built between 1844 and 1847.

Leave a comment:

• janihudi
    commented on 's reply
    No undersea tunnel too

• janihudi
    commented on 's reply
    Yes.....

• nari
    commented on 's reply
    Thijs... do you mean the Stadt tunnel project? It sounds very interesting.............!

• janihudi
    commented on 's reply
    No you're not, but it's not the same size or at sea.
    But it's in Hessen, and Hessen is not even close to the sea

• pakarang
    replied
    Hmmmmm.... I saw this post earlier today, and started googling... got lost in other German cities, and re-googled and got lost in other German cities again.

ehhh... ship tunnel or am I thinking of the wrong tunnel project. Or do you mean an undersea tunnel?

Darn, this puzzle is quite difficult.

Back to Google and Google Earth!

Leave a comment:

• janihudi
    replied
    it's just a little city i passed months ago.
    the most reconisable item was the arch,wich i thought it was a kind of arc the triompf,but it seems it was just a gate to the city .
    when i was searching on google for it i hardly could fine any image of it.
    so meaningless it seems, couse google in German of triomf arch didn't help, i just had to type cityname and gate for i got any images.

however while googgeling about the city, i found a more tourist intrest item.
    so now i'm giving it away.

Norway is working on a specific tunnel far from common, this city already have one.

Leave a comment:

• pakarang
    replied
    Originally posted by janihudi View Post
    we've lost intrest in puzzles aswel?
    To solve the last puzzle, I think I need some clues because I have no idea what I'm looking at or where it might be. What is the most famous item from this city?

Leave a comment:

• janihudi
    replied
    we've lost intrest in puzzles aswel?

Leave a comment:

• janihudi
    replied
    Yes, we're somewhere is Hessen.

Leave a comment:

• ombugge
    replied
    Maybe somewhere in Hessen???