No announcement yet.

What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am half way there, i must thank you for confirming that i am on the correct track. I will resume my task later.
    Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Ok, this one is solved, it is your local TV transmitter! 'Fernsehturm Stuttgart',
      I think i must have found the same website that you did.

http://www.planet3dnow.de/vbulletin/....php?p=2568704

About 3/4 of the way down the page you will find the image!
      Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Originally posted by Oistein View Post
        You beat me both, but I had to prioritize work.

Here is a cut from Google Earth of the surroundings.

Looks like a nice place.

OK, that was too easy for the consummate puzzle solvers on CV.
        I'll try to throw in a bit more difficult puzzles in the future. (Looking)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
          Ok, this one is solved, it is your local TV transmitter! 'Fernsehturm Stuttgart',
          I think i must have found the same website that you did.

http://www.planet3dnow.de/vbulletin/....php?p=2568704

About 3/4 of the way down the page you will find the image!
          Well done. You know, the location is written in each of my posts, therefore the description of the second step. Just looking at the photo there is no possibility to identify the tower, i think. The Stuttgart tower is the first of it's kind. It was opened in 1956. Although today one of the smallest towers, it offers a great sight, because it is located on a hill and therefore almost 400m higher than downtown.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fernsehturm_Stuttgart
          Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Here is another puzzle for the quiz lovers.
            Which famous lake is this???

There are some clear hints here too, but the answer is not written in the garden at least.

Bonus point for knowing why it was in the news not so long ago. (Another hint)
            Last edited by ombugge; April 16th, 2011, 15:37.

Comment

There are temples, typical colors of South East Asia and possibly even Thailand.

Could it possibly be Bungsamran Lake in Thailand?
              With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
              Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

I can't compare with our captain when it comes to Thailand, but in this case I want to answer different and say: Srinakrin Dam's reservoir.

To claim the bonus points: the bodies of 7 Burmeese migrants were found in the lake
                "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                  There are temples, typical colors of South East Asia and possibly even Thailand.

Could it possibly be Bungsamran Lake in Thailand?
                  No it is not Bungsamran Lake, but you are in the right part of the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                    I can't compare with our captain when it comes to Thailand, but in this case I want to answer different and say: Srinakrin Dam's reservoir.

To claim the bonus points: the bodies of 7 Burmeese migrants were found in the lake
                    Also not correct, but you are in the area.

Comment

Then I think we might need to cross the border from Thailand, to Burma/ Myanmar.
                      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

It almost looks like the Royal Lake in Yangon......

Comment

Originally posted by ehp View Post
                          It almost looks like the Royal Lake in Yangon......
                          It is indeed the Inaya Lake in Rangoon.
                          Picture taken from my hotel back in 2005, before it became a swiming pool for American entusiasts.

When working in Rangoon back in 1999 I used to drive the road seen in front and passe the front gate of Ang San Suu Kye's house, (which is a bit to the left of this view) every morning and evening. In 2005 the road in front of her house was blocked for non-residents.

Burma is still a very nice country, with some of the friedliest people in the world.

Comment

Wow!!! I got one!!

I was wondering if you were referring to the crazy American John Yettaw who decided to backstroke his way to Aung San Suu Kyi's house in order to deliver a copy of The Book of Mormon. Thanks to him, she had another year tacked onto her house arrest...

Some of you know how my visit to Burma two years ago changed my life. I won't rant here about what I think of that illegal government.....

But I would love to go back there again!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ehp View Post
                              Wow!!! I got one!!

I was wondering if you were referring to the crazy American John Yettaw who decided to backstroke his way to Aung San Suu Kyi's house in order to deliver a copy of The Book of Mormon. Thanks to him, she had another year tacked onto her house arrest...
                              That was what I was referring to yes. The Generals would probably have found another excuse to hold her until after the election in any case, but still stupid.

Some of you know how my visit to Burma two years ago changed my life. I won't rant here about what I think of that illegal government.....
                              Well, I don't. Did they treat you that bad that it changed your life?

As for legality of government, it is not for people from other countries to decide, either by sanctions or military support to rebel forces.
                              I have been in Burma many times and over a long period of time, including during the Ne Win period, when the country was closed to foreigners, except foreign seamen. Things were difficult and no development in sight.

In 1975-1977 when I was there with Esso, there were small groups of tourists being allowed in and a few signs of improvement.

In 1999 I worked there for Total for a few months. Burma had become a member of ASEAN and things were changing, both politically and economically.
                              Foreign companies, especially from ASEAN countries, but also European, Japanese and US firms, had set up shop, new hotels were shooting up and a election was held, but did not go the way the Generals wanted, so it was annulled.
                              That triggered sanctions and stagnation, both on the economic and political front and it is still on, although mainly US firms and the Burmese population are affected, not the Generals.

But I would love to go back there again!!!!!
                              It is one of the most interesting countries in the world, in my opinion. Changes can only be induced by trade and direct influence, not by sanctions and treat of force.

That lesson should have been learnt by 50 years of trying to blockade Cuba. What has been obtained, except that Fidel is no longer smoking big fat cigars? I don't think that is because of US treats to kill him with an exploding cigar in any case.

Now back to business. You should have some good pics to put up as puzzles from your resent travel.

Comment

Ombugge--Here's one of the first blog posts I made after visiting Burma..

http://maisoncourouge.blogspot.com/2...r-request.html

But basically, the question was put in my mind..Why are the Burmese people so happy when they have absolutely nothing I consider necessary for daily survival?

Made me start to question everything in life...to start asking "why" and to start delving into the concept of happiness...and it all led to my beginining to study Buddhism....

I absolutely agree with you that sanctions seldom work...neither does force.
                                There's so much left to learn!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X