No announcement yet.

What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, that has to be in one of the states of the former Soviet Union, because of these two folks with the flag.

I searched a bit around and found the "Monument of the Russian-Ukrainian Friendship" in Kiew.
    The arch is called "People's Friendship Arch".

Look here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People%27s_Friendship_Arch

...seems to be quite easy to search for monuments, because there are a lot of pictures of each one in the web...

Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

I see i have missed quite a few puzzles over the last few weeks, including one concerning the Isle of Wight - i recognised Osborne House straight away.

I shall write a post in the 'Chit chat' thread explaining while i have not been around for a little while.

Back to this latest puzzle, i believe this is the Friendship of Nations Arc in Kiev?
      Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

You beat me by a few seconds Ralf!
        Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Hi Steve, nice to have you aboard again. Sorry, i was not awary that you were also searching. I found similar pictures quite soon, but i had to find out the right place...

But maybe you like to try this one, this kind of building is very specific. But where is it?

source wikicommons

Comment

A Colosseum with a McDonald's inside. Hope the Gladiators like to eat Big Macs.
            I think this is in Siracusa, Italy

Comment

Pula amphitheatre in Croatia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pula-amfiteatar.JPG
              Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
              Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Of course correct, Ivy. I think i will present some own pictures, when i was there in early summer:

http://www.captainsvoyage-forum.com/...cht-in-Croatia

Pula is the homeport of our charter yacht.
                Over to you, Ivy!

Comment

Had a look at that site - you are in for a wonderful trip, Ralf, by the look of it. I look forward to the resulting photos, I have never seen much about Croatia.
                  Right, here is the next puzzle. The photo is not very clear - (old film camera days) but in this case it doesn't really matter.

Ivy

Comment

hmmm. Looks very much like Moses presenting the Ten Commandments. But why is this a book and not the two tablets?

Anyone with another idea?

The place looks like to be in the Greek or Turkish area...?

Comment

My first thoughts were also Moses, and i also wondered about the book rather than tablets. But looking at the many images of Moses statues on the internet, the book seems to show many times.

So far i have found no statues that are set in the sort of surroundings that shows in Ivy's image. So i am interested in Ralf's guess of possible locations.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
                        hmmm. Looks very much like Moses presenting the Ten Commandments. But why is this a book and not the two tablets?
                        My word, waiting to pounce, you two, weren't you? Like old times now, with Steve back on here. But take care of that sight.
                        Not Moses, that's why it's not tablets. And you are in the wrong area, I'm afraid.
                        Ivy

Comment

O.K. not Moses, and if not in Greece also not Aristoteles or Sokrates or Zeus or... So it has to be - with this look - a holy person! I tried this keyword and can now say that we are still in the Mediterranean Area. This is Rabat on the Island of Malta, and the sculpture is showing Paulus. The cave is called Paulus cave or grot.
                          Paulus arrived here after a ship accident and founded the church on Malta.

http://www.thorstenspahr.de/forum/malta/malta.html

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
                            Not Moses, that's why it's not tablets. And you are in the wrong area, I'm afraid.
                            Ok, will have to start again, but at least we now know who it's not. I am still trying to work out those surroundings, looks almost like a cave. And those post like things on the floor make it look almost like somesort of shrine?

Comment

We seem to have a habit of post writing at the same time Ralf! Just scrolled down your link and found it, so looks like you have nailed this one. Very quickly solved, well done!

Comment

I came back to the computer to add something I'd forgotten on another thread, and having left CVF open here the first thing I saw was the neck and neck race. But Ralf made it by 4 minutes.
                                Over to you, then.
                                Ivy

Comment

Working...
                                X