What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Queen Victoria!
    I think it's Osborne House in the Isle of Wight.
    You're ofcourse spot on! Congratulations to you
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Thank you Sterkoder, and that was a fascinating choice of puzzle from you!
      Well now, let me see what you all make of this next puzzle

What place is this?

Comment

Might it be Haugesund, Cecilia?
        Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
        Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Cecilia, that yard (for some reason) and house architecture, and the small part of roof we see in the left part of the image, looks a bit swedish to me.
          Are we in Sweden...?
          (I have not yet considered what you would do there in the winter though).

Comment

Not just typical of Sweden but Southern Sweden, I believe.
            My guess is that this is somewhere in the vicinity of Lund???
            I cannot pinpoint the place, or this particular house, more closely, however.

Comment

Sweden: Yes
              Lund: No

Comment

Has this got something to do with the Astrid Lindgren's World in Vimmerby???

Comment

No (but what a good idea…I wonder why I didn’t think of that for a puzzle picture! ). However, and just as in Sterkoder’s puzzle too, it may help to have such a two-pronged attack - the location and the person connected with it.

Comment

Is it somewhere in Småland?
                    Ivy

Comment

No sorry Ivy, this location is not so far south as Småland.

Comment

Ivy, I was wondering, when you mentioned Småland, whether you might have been thinking of a person, as I suggested in # 938 (although note that Astrid Lindgren has already been completely eliminated).

It might be worth bearing in mind that a person might be associated with more than one location, rather as would have been the case with Queen Victoria in Sterkoder’s last puzzle. So Småland could still be a clue even thought it is not the location of the photo!

You could also try to narrow down the location in the picture – we only have “Sweden but north of Småland” at the moment. However I may not be around tomorrow to comment on suggestions, but hopefully these enigmatic remarks will keep you all occupied meanwhile!

Comment

but hopefully these enigmatic remarks will keep you all occupied meanwhile!
                          You certainly got that right...., in my case anyway....

Have turned Småland and swedish celebrities or famous persons up-side-down for days, but have no clue whatsoever, not one! (Insert smily going crazy)

Comment

Got it. Carl von Linne's (Linnaeus) house at Hammarby: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ca...e_Hammarby.jpg
                            Or http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...e_Hammarby.jpg
                            Last edited by wherrygirl; January 23rd, 2011, 21:02.
                            Ivy

Comment

Good thing I popped in here – the puzzle is solved – congratulations to Ivy!

Linnaeus was born in Småland, but my photos of that little turf-roofed cottage at Råshult are pre-digital and not immediately to hand.
                              Initally Linnaeus had enrolled at the university in Lund, later moving to Uppsala with the intention of studying both medicine and botany.

I suspect Ombugge suggested Lund, having remembered about my own connections with that university. But my photo was taken at a palaeontology conference at the university in Uppsala. These Christmas conferences traditionally include a day field trip! –but in a Swedish winter a more cultural outing was substituted, visiting nearby places associated with Linnaeus, as well as an exhibition at the Natural History Museum in Stockholm to mark the 300th anniversary of his birth.

Hammarby was Linnaeus summer residence, so I was perhaps a bit teasing to show it on that cold but sunny winter day!

Had further clues been necessary I could probably have somehow hinted about the mention of Linnaeus’ classification system I recently made in Ombugge’s marvellous This is Shenzhen, China thread.

Comment

Try this one:
                                Ivy

Comment

Working...
                                X