No announcement yet.

What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, you found it via the architect! The only way to find it, without having it seen directly before. You are right: It is the "Media-Harbour" of Düsseldorf.

Way too easy for such a professional like you. I will think about some more tricky for tomorrow, because i am out tonight.
    Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
      To shorten the waiting time to continue the game. Maybe we should all feel free to do that or the successful solver can give a sign???
      I totally agree, if one of us solve a puzzle and do not immediately have a new one to post, anyone should feel free to post a new puzzle. That way there is no pressure to find a new puzzle quickly. So come on CV people, if you see that a puzzle is solved and a new one is not posted, feel free to post!
      Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

I agree Ralf, finding that last one without knowing the area or without knowing the architect, would have been very difficult. I searched "Crooked Buildings", but could not find any that matched, but i did find some of a similar design, so i looked at them and found the name of the architect. Then i was able to search for his buildings!

Anyway, here is another puzzle for you all. Until fairly recently, the only real way to access this place was by either ferry, train or light aircraft.

Which Place is This?
        Last edited by Steve.B; March 7th, 2010, 22:54. Reason: Adding light aircraft to methods of travel.
        Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

eeeehmmm.... this is a tricky one. The landscape leads me to South America, but i miss some higher mountains, although the type of the buildings lead me also to this theory. With the highest enlargement of the picture i can not find any assisting detail.
          Just this high radio post is a possibility to find something out. Also your assistance that only roads "did" lead to that place...

anyway - i did a lot of searches, up to now without any effort. Please give me some assistance...

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
            Also your assistance that only roads "did" lead to that place...
            Just to clarify and to offer assistance, until recently, last 5 years or so, there were no proper tarmac roads leading to this place. The picture above maybe a new one because it does show tarmac roads. Before the new road was built there were just basically sand tracks. Only really passable with 4 wheel drive, and even then it was tough going.

I have read (though cannot find any firm evidence), that since the new road was built, the train line has been closed down.

One further clue for now, this place is a 'point of entry'.

Good luck.

P.S Don't be fooled by the landscape.
            Last edited by Steve.B; March 8th, 2010, 04:12.

Comment

O.K. i will have another guess. Sorry that i understood you first help wrong, now i understand that the lack of a proper roads was the problem for a long time. Poor English and fast reading... a fatal combination.

I found out, that Nouadhibou in Mauretania could fit into this profile. Tarmac road since 5 years, the beginning of the ore railway, one of the largest ship graveyards of the world....a place where Captain Voyagers would find a lot to see.

But i think, i am still wrong...

Comment

Because the train description did not satisfy me i tried to search for some more desert towns mixing up several keywords. And there we are:

Wadi Halfa is a town on the shores of Lake Nasser in the north of Sudan, and marks the point of entry into Sudan for those coming in from Egypt.

http://www.travelblog.org/Photos/3527066

On this picture the situation around the mosque and the buildings is fitting 100%. Solved!!
                Last edited by Ralf__; March 8th, 2010, 13:25.

Comment

I am very surprised that you solved that one so quickly, especially seeing that you had South America in mind to start, when you said that i chuckled to myself sure that you would spend ages searching there!

But no, you are spot on, Wadi Halfa it is indeed! If it had not been solved i was going to add that this place is often called the 'new' Wadi Halfa, because a large part of the old town is now underwater since the building of the Aswan Dam.

Well done Ralf!
                  Last edited by Steve.B; March 8th, 2010, 13:06.

Comment

After you gave me the help with the landscape i identified the mosque and therefore changed in the right corner of the world.

O.K., hope it will be an interesting afternoon for you:

What place is this?

Comment

I am really struggling with this one. I am presuming the road is in Europe somewhere (but have looked further away), but i can find no road to match this one. I can see the rock seems to have given way on the edge of the bend, but i can still find no information to match this.

I look forward to a small clue.

Comment

Europe is right, in fact it is not too far away from Porta Alpina.
                        This road is more famous for the other side, but in my opinion the leading through the almost vertical rocks is even more impressing...

Good luck, my brave fellow.

Comment

Ok, I am going to stick my reputation on the line here, i am going to take a guess!

My guess is that this is the Italian side of the Splugen Pass. Road number should be SS36, and the section you show in the photo is approx 1.75km from the town of Madesimo.?

Unfortunately this part of the pass does not show up on Google Earth clearly, it is so blurred that you cannot make out the road properly.

So this is my best guess at the moment. Am i correct?, or have i made a terrible mistake somewhere?

Comment

Steve, you solved it perfect again! This one was very tricky, you had to find the road with the smallest serpentines.

Some more pictures can be found here!
                            http://images.google.de/images?q=spl...N&hl=de&tab=wi

I must go there with my motorbike again....

Comment

I really like these 'What place is this' quizzes. While I've never been anywhere near posting an answer it's really interesting to see and learn

Comment

I haven't had the time to participate on this quiz but it looks like great fun.

I'll throw in a simple one here as a stop gap before Steve comes with his next one. There are clear hint in the picture itself.

Which famous colonial building is this and where is it situated??

Last edited by ombugge; April 16th, 2011, 15:35.

Comment

Working...
                                X