• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
    .... not Liverpool at all.
    Not at all, Ombugge

On with the think cap.
    Yep.

PS. A Norwegian has taught me that those buildings on the Liverpool waterfront are known as the Three Graces. I had to look it up. Thank you, Ombugge!
    Last edited by wherrygirl; December 1st, 2010, 11:22.
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Everyone emigrated??? I'll leave it a little longer, then give a little "advice".
      Ivy

Comment

I appreciate an advice, because i am not able to use any of the clues which could lead me further, even i don't know that particular building.
        I have no good knowledge about navy ships, the same with SAR-ships, but such knowledge could help here.
        The buildings lead me more to somewhere in England or at least the British islands, but also France would be a possible location in my opinion.

Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
          Everyone emigrated??? I'll leave it a little longer, then give a little "advice".
          OK, not Liverpool. Let me try the other coast then. Lowestoft???

Comment

Ombugge is only a few miles out. I suggest that you don't worry about the building just now as it is of local importance only, the place is the thing, then the building can be decided by a fairly simple guess. Ignore buildings and think about what may seem to be an insignificant detail that you've not noticed. That detail will earn the winner a bonus point.
            Ivy

Comment

Also, Ralf, don't worry about ID-ing that ship. I can't remember now what it's official title was, or its name, but it was part of the Coastal Defence group on constant watch around our shores. Might it have been a cutter, I'm not up on that sort of thing? But the point about it that could help is the fact that it's dressed overall.
              Ivy

Comment

O.K. That advice was fine, although it was not that easy. This is Great Yarmouth, and the red building with the "cupola" is the Town Hall.

Comment

Well done. For a bonus, can you identify the insignificant detail I mentioned? I.e. where was I standing to take this pic.?
                  Ivy

Comment

Of course it is a tall ship. Probably the "Grand Turk", but also the "Prince William" would be possible. Tricky, because i see only the rigging. I guess you must be a very professional tall ship sailer to identify a ship by that piece of rigging. The second possibility would be to identify her harbour position during the Maritime Festival, but the pictures i found, do not explain that...

So it is a 50:50 situation and i vote for "Grand Turk"!

Have to think about a new puzzle, so i will post it during the weekend. Please be a little patient...

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
                      O.K. That advice was fine, although it was not that easy. This is Great Yarmouth, and the red building with the "cupola" is the Town Hall.
                      To think that I have walked that water front many times, but I did not recognise it???
                      I did look into the possibility of Great Yarmouth, but did not find any match to the prominent building in the original puzzle picture.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
                        Of course it is a tall ship. Probably the "Grand Turk", but also the "Prince William" would be possible. Tricky, because i see only the rigging. I guess you must be a very professional tall ship sailer to identify a ship by that piece of rigging. The second possibility would be to identify her harbour position during the Maritime Festival, but the pictures i found, do not explain that...

So it is a 50:50 situation and i vote for "Grand Turk"!
                        It was the replica frigate Shtandart at the Gt. Yarmouth Maritime Festival in September. Having seen all the pics. at the start of the Tall Ships race I couldn't believe my luck when I found she was to be over here, so near me. I took the photos specially for CVF, but apart from Cecilia and you I don't think anyone saw them! My puzzle picture was a small section of this one:

The rest are at #481 up to #488

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                        To think that I have walked that water front many times, but I did not recognise it???
                        I did look into the possibility of Great Yarmouth, but did not find any match to the prominent building in the original puzzle picture.
                        My photos were taken from the South Quay, ombugge, which is on the river Yare, not the actual sea front that holiday makers know. The harbour mouth, as you probably know, is actually at Gorleston, see the webcam at http://www.budgetmarquees.co.uk/webcam.html (click on "webcam" at the top) into which the Yare flows, so ships have a good way to travel before they can dock.
                        The town hall can be seen at http://www.great-yarmouth.gov.uk/lei.../town-hall.htm

Things to look at while Ralf is thinking up his next puzzle.
                        Ivy

Comment

Okay. Had to look throught this thread to see, what we already had up to know. But i don't think we have been at this place before: where could it be???

Comment

Wherever it is, it's GORGEOUS!!!

Comment

That's not Gibraltar in the background, is it???

Comment

Or is it part of the Giant's Causeway, County Antrim? The Giant's Organ?
                                That left side looks like Fair Head, but that is apparently a headland, not an island. Rathlin island doesn't seem quite right, either.
                                Last edited by wherrygirl; December 6th, 2010, 16:53.
                                Ivy

Comment

Working...
                                X