What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post

I look forward to the next puzzle. What do you have in mind?
    Oh i might have something tucked up my sleeve. But i think it is Sterkoders turn, but if he does not have a puzzle for us at the moment, maybe someone else would like to post one? Maybe if Sterkoder passes it by this time, how about you Ralf?, now i am sure you could come up with something very interesting!
    Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

O.K. Lets try this one. I will call it "Fiction and Reality."
      What place is this?

Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Ah, now this looks like it will be interesting. And i can see why you chose that title! I shall spend sometime this evening trying to solve this one.
        Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

The tunnel is interesting me. It looks like there are two rail tracks, each with a third rail electric supply. But something does not seem right, the sleepers seem too far apart to be a permanent railway, and further down the tunnel you can see a massive tunnel leading straight up from the main tunnel. It looks very big to be a ventilation shaft. I am wondering if the track is temporary for construction purposes, but why would they have twin tracks? And i certainly do not think they would use a third rail supply on a construction project. Umm, i shall continue my search!

Comment

I now know what the strange track arrangement is for, various size machinery maybe? I am closing in on this one i think, just trying to find a link between the two images to nail it!

Comment

Ralf, I just knew that was going to be interesting! I have been learning about the longest tunnel in the world.

I think i may have solved your puzzle. I believe that your first picture is a model of the proposed underground 'Porta Alpina' Railway Station. The proposed station was to be located deep under the Swiss Alps. It was proposed that the station could utilise service tunnels and shafts that are being used in the construction of the new 'Gotthard Base Rail Tunnel'. The station would have linked the new Gotthard Railway Line with the Rhaetian Railway/Matterhorn-Gotthard Railway via the service shafts. The idea would have involved building the worlds highest elevators inside the shafts. The idea was abandoned for various reasons in 2007.

So your first photo was the model of the 'Porta Alpina Station. The model is located at the 'Miniatur Wunderland' in Hamburg. See bottom of page here.

So I believe your second photo - the tunnel, must be a section of the 'Gotthard Base Rail Tunnel' mentioned above! The railway tunnel will be the worlds longest at a record breaking 57km.

The photo shows one of the cross sections that link the twin tunnels, and the fact that you can see a shaft rising towards the surface, leads me to believe that this must be a section that is near to where the proposed station was to be sighted.

Somewhere about here i believe!

Here is a link to the 'AlpTransit' website, the people behind the construction of the tunnels.
              http://www.alptransit.ch/en/project-...ard-rail-link/

That was a very interesting challenge Ralf, i enjoyed solving that one, i intended to sit down and try and solve it this evening, but i got hooked once you posted, and as a result i have failed to cook dinner, and have failed to go to the shops! Oh well, time to go and eat!

EDIT: I have just realised that solving that took me 4 hours, and i had 17 different tabs open!
              Last edited by Steve.B; March 5th, 2010, 21:53.

Comment

So i am satisfied, that this was not too easy!
                And you did solve it perfect!! This is too fascinating that it is possible to solve such puzzles with the www.

Your turn again. Can't wait!

Comment

In case anyone was wondering how i solved that one, this is a brief explanation.

Firstly i tried to identify the model in the first picture. That turned out to be impossible. I had even guessed that the model may well be at the Miniature Wunderland - I presumed that because i know Ralf's been there. I watched all the video tours of the wunderland, and looked at the photo galleries, but could see nothing that resembled Ralf's first photo. I even searched something like 50 pages of Google Image results, no luck at all. I know now that this was because the item was buried deep in the weekly news reports. So all of that searching got me nowhere. I did however have a feeling it would be a model of a rail terminal of somesort, simply because of Ralf's second picture of the rail tunnel.

So i then went looking for a suitable rail tunnel, i cheated a little here by looking at the electronic water mark embedded in the photo, that gave me the date the photo was taken - 2008. So i knew i was looking for a new tunnel. Looking through Google i soon realised that there were many different types of concrete block sections used in various tunnel constructions throughout the world. With a quick glance at the tunnel liner i could rule out most search results due to the size and shape of the concrete sections. Then i also looked at the track arrangement that was shown in the photo. At first i could not work it out. But then i found an image that showed a tunnel that had both the same concrete section structure and the strange track arrangement! That was the first picture i posted - the green looking one. Ah ah! The two bits of evidence fitted together perfectly. I thought the puzzle was nearly solved, urmm, not! I then realised that there are currently 3 separate tunnels projects going on under the Swiss Alps. The 'Gotthard Base Tunnel', the 'Ceneri Base Tunnel', and the 'Zimmerberg Base Tunnel'. All three using virtually identical methods of construction. So i knew that it had to be part of one of the three tunnels, but which one?. I next assumed that the model must be of one of the new Stations that were being built for these tunnels. So i looked up the main stations for each end of these tunnels and then went searching models or artists impressions of them. I found absolutely nothing that matched any of the stations names. I was so near but so far. I knew it must be one of the three tunnels, and i knew that Ralf's first photo of the model would tell me which it was. If only i could identify that model!

I then looked again at the construction companies website and spotted this diagram.

I had spotted this earlier but did not pay too much attention to it, but this time i spotted something of great interest. I spotted what is called on the diagram 'Multifunction Station Sedrun'. I immediately realised that i had missed this name from the list of stations i had searched for earlier! And then, i also realised that this small maintenance and emergency station had two large vertical shafts stationed next to it! Now i was getting somewhere. Ralf's photo of the tunnel showed a large opening in the roof of the tunnel, plus it showed somesort of excavation on one side of the track. Everything was coming together nicely, Ralf's photo matched the diagram, and thus i was nearly certain that not only was the tunnel in question the 'Gotthard Base Tunnel', but i was almost sure i could even identify the exact section of the tunnel.

I read a little about the newly discovered 'Multifunction Station Sedrun'. At first i only read that it was simply used for construction, service and emergency situations. So it did not sound like it matched the nice shiny place in Ralf's photo of the model. But a bit more reading about the new station and i found the info i was looking for, the final piece of the puzzle. I discovered that at one point it had been proposed to use this station as a real station, and that it would be called 'Porta Alpina'. And that was the last missing bit of the puzzle, a quick search for that name brought me to the images i found at the 'Miniature Wunderland', and the image showing the station under the Alps. Puzzle solved!

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
                    So i am satisfied, that this was not too easy!
                    And you did solve it perfect!! This is too fascinating that it is possible to solve such puzzles with the www.

Your turn again. Can't wait!
                    Ralf, your puzzle is going to be a tough act to follow! I shall have to give it some thought!

Comment

So for the next puzzle I shall post something totally different to the last!
                      I shall call this one the 'Sound of Music'.

Where is this place?

Comment

This is the wiev from 303 meters below sea level looking upwards inside the Troll-A platform in the North sea.

The 'Sound of Music' comes from Katie Melua who held a consert down there October 1. 2006.

And here she is 303 meters down:

More about the platform on Wikipedia:Troll_A_platform
                        Øistein

If at first you don’t succeed, skydiving is not for you...

Comment

I knew when i posted that this might be an easy one for a couple of our members. But i just had to throw it in because i thought it was fantastic.

Katie Melua performing 303m below the surface of the North Sea, what an experience for her, and a worlds first for that kind of thing. That fact that it was allowed by health and safety, and the insurance companies is amazing on it's own.

I for one would love the chance to be able to stand at the bottom of the leg looking upwards, must be an amazing feeling when you think about where you really are!

Well done Oistein, over to you!
                          Last edited by Steve.B; March 7th, 2010, 00:53. Reason: Adding photo

Comment

While Oistein is searching, i want to shorten the waiting time to continue the game. Maybe we should all feel free to do that or the successful solver can give a sign???
                            Please don't be angry with me...

Way back to the top of the earth again.

How is this harbour called and where is it?

Comment

If the architect is who i think it is, then these buildings are tame compared to some of his other stuff!

Comment

I was wondering if this was one of Frank Gehry's designs. I think maybe it is!

Could this be the waterfront at downtown Dusseldorf?

Comment

Working...
                                X