No announcement yet.

What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just back from two long days driving a 28 year old ferry, and yes, Cozumel in Mexico was correct on the previous page!

For the colorful tanks along a sea shore above, my first thoughts went to the Netherlands.
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post

For the colorful tanks along a sea shore above, my first thoughts went to the Netherlands.
      Not tanks, and a long long way from the Netherlands!
      Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

I recall reading an article about these color full looking things a while ago... I didn't pay any attention to what it was about though... nor can I remember any location anymore.
        With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
        Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Ah ah! This one is taking a little longer to solve! Even the great and powerful search engine called Sterkoder is quiet!

So what do we know so far?:

They are colourful.
          They are not storage tanks.
          They are not in the Netherlands.

I shall add another clue. 'This place was considered to be a place of bad luck'.
          Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Ok, it must be time for another clue.

UFO!

Comment

The "Sterkoder search engine" broke down, and as much as I hate it, I have to break silence just to tell you that this time, you got me!!
              I simply can't connect your clues with that picture, as long as the formations are not tanks nor silos....

I see two streetcar-lines, one on each side of that road there, and not many places have that. I've also had a closer look on the architecture, I don't know if that's a cut off remains of a railway there on the left, and I've taken the shadows and vegetation under consideration...., but no, far away from any sugestions this time.
              Last edited by Sterkoder; March 5th, 2010, 01:36.
              "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Ah, i am glad it is a bit harder this time around!

Must be time for another clue.

The buildings are (or where), a resort.

Comment

Sorry, Steve...., this one twists my brain so much it hurts!

Can you please tell us the part of the world, as I suspect telling the country would give it away without further thinking.
                  Last edited by Sterkoder; March 5th, 2010, 02:06.

Comment

Ok, try putting the last two clues together. Then try a google image search!

Comment

Ok, I didn't ask for it on a silver platter, but ok...., Sanjhih, Taiwan then.
                      (Don't quite get the clue about "bad luck", but it might be written in the text of the article, which I of course have not read).

Comment

I did not want to give you a headache!

This article from the wiki explains the bad luck.

The UFO houses were constructed beginning in 1978.[1] They were intended as a vacation resort in a part of the northern coast adjacent to Danshui, and were marketed towards U.S. military officers coming from their East Asian postings.[2] However, the project was abandoned in 1980 due to investment losses and several car accidents death during construction, which is said to have been caused by the unfortuitous act of bisecting the Chinese dragon sculpture located near the resort gates for widening the road to the buildings.[1][2] Other stories indicated that the site was the former burial ground for Dutch soldiers.

Comment

I did not want to give you a headache!
                          Hahahaha....., don't even think about it!
                          That's the result of such quiz' isn't it? But this one was very hard.

Anyway, I enjoy this, partially because we learn about new places/things in our effort to find the answer. And by doing so, we also get to do one of my personal stunts: try to learn at least one new thing each day

Comment

So my first wild guess was right, my tries went for searching a colourful or coloured resort but after having no idea, in which part of the world i could find it, this information was to limited.

But what an interesting place and project! Never heard of it before! And there are ghosts in there. And the tale is that the buildings are build on hundreds of dead bodies. The Asians believe, if they destroy it, they will die...

I learned an "awesome" story today. For all the other hobby puzzlers i will share some of the pictures, which are shown very often in the net:

Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Ahh, nothing like the 70's and 80's idea of the future!
                              Looks like a strange coming together of fiberglass and concrete. I wonder if back then they really thought that this could really be the future design for resorts, or was it seen as just a wacky one off?

Comment

I think they really thought so. Nowadays we know much more about isolation, energy savings... form follows function today, while these projects enabled the architect at the first time to realise such forms and designs, and function had to follow.

I look forward to the next puzzle. What do you have in mind?
                                Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Working...
                                X