What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think perhaps Nijmegen?
    Later: and if so, are you driving along Waaldijk, just before Oosterhout?
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

• janihudi
      janihudi commented
      Editing a comment
      Nope. Not eather

Is this the river Maas?
    ---------------------------
    Harald Jarl, Honningsvag to Svolvaer, Summer 1985.
    Deck plan geek.

Comment

• janihudi
      janihudi commented
      Editing a comment
      No.
      Aargh. Just no is to short.

• Clipper
      Clipper commented
      Editing a comment
      Nieuwe Maas?

• janihudi
      janihudi commented
      Editing a comment
      Also no

It issn't such a good image.it was a bridge to far away for the smartphone.
    best regards Thijs

Comment

• Ralf__
      Ralf__ commented
      Editing a comment
      I think it is the river Ijssel, view from the highway A1 bridge North to the town of Deventer with the white bridge of the N344. The church is the Lebuinuskerk.

Correct.
    did you get my hint.
    a bridge to far?
    best regards Thijs

Comment

• Ralf__
      Ralf__ commented
      Editing a comment
      I followed the rivers and a lot of them were excluded so it was getting easier. Then there must have been a highway bridge and a second bridge...

• janihudi
      janihudi commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes it was just naming rivers till you got the right one.
      But the hint " a bridge to far" was because of that bridge was used in the movie a bridge to far.
      They filmed at the bridge of Nijmegen but for the movie they used the Deventer bridge instead of the Arnhem bridge

• Clipper
      Clipper commented
      Editing a comment
      Thijs, I know the film very well but didn't know they used a different bridge for the Arnhem bridge.

Over to you ralf
    best regards Thijs

Comment

Next one, where is this?

DSCF9671 - Kopie by Ralf Plinta, auf Flickr

Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Is it the Vanha Kappahalli, in Helsinki?
        Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

You are amazing mark! Have you been there several times? I am surprised, that you solved it immediately.
          Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

• wherrygirl
            wherrygirl commented
            Editing a comment
            He recognised that bottom cauliflower!

• yvneac
            yvneac commented
            Editing a comment
            ....and the Finnish bananas.

Been there a few times - love the place. Rather like Helsinki altogether. OK - will try to find a new one.
          Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

OK, let's try something slightly different. I hope Ivy won't get her frying pan out for this.

Where's this spectacular Victorian railway technology in use. Clue: It's not a railway.

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

• yvneac
              yvneac commented
              Editing a comment
              A clock or bell mecanism?

London tower bridge?
            best regards Thijs

Comment

Nice try Yves!

Spot on Thijs - tell me how you got it, and I'll tell you something about why it means something to me.
              Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

• janihudi
                janihudi commented
                Editing a comment
                In some movies you see the controle house on bridges. With those big handles, you said it has. Nothing with the railroads to do. First thing came up was a bridge control. To start somewhere i just mention the most famoust bridge, the london tower bridge

• janihudi
                janihudi commented
                Editing a comment
                Well Clipper, age issn't a isseu anymore with the E- bikes now

Very good. I believe that that room is pretty much still there and looks like that today, although it is not used to control the bridge (https://www.ianvisits.co.uk/blog/201...a-glass-floor/).

The reason I feel an affinity with it is that it was installed by a firm called Saxby & Farmer. John Saxby was the inventor of the railway signalling interlocking (the underlying safety system) in 1856. He had the idea that you could connect levers to signals and points, and mechanically 'interlock' those levers so that you could only pull them in a certain, safe order. This was adopted very quickly in the 1850s onwards, and he left his job as a supervisor at the London, Brighton and South Coast Railway to set up in business with his business partner, John Farmer.

Working out of factories in the UK (Kilburn, London) and France (Creuil), the business thrived for a long time. There were however a lot of mergers and acquisitions between the railway supply companies at the end of the 19th century, and S&F eventually took over the works of Evans O'Donnell - a high tech start up of their day - in Chippenham.

Through merging with the UK Westinghouse Brakes company that had been founded in 1881, the company became Westinghouse Brake & Saxby Signal Company in around 1920, and by 1935 Westinghouse Brake & Signal Co. With headquarters in London and factory facilities in Chippenham the company grew and grew until its peak in the 1970s when there were 7000 people working for the company in Chippenham, and the town and company were completely inseparable - the mayor was the works manager in the 1950s, the schools and factory were closely linked, staff could live their whole lives without ever leaving the embrace of the company. That company is now owned by a large German company you may have heard of, and that is where I've worked since 1986.

So ... Saxby expanded his empire in the latter half of the 19th century, using his patented technology to control everything from Liverpool tramways to Tower Bridge, even to making the first traffic lights outside the Houses of Parliament in London (to the design of one John Peake Knight of the - coincidence or what - London, Brighton and South Coast Railway!). They didn't last too long when a gas leak led to an explosion which seriously hurt one of the four policemen that had to operate them!!

Saxby was a little deranged and spend most of his time chasing anyone that tried to control anything on a railway by levers and pulleys through the courts, claiming that they were impinging his patent. They weren't most of the time and he lost those cases most of the time.

That's why I thought of it.

So, enough history for the day - back to Thijs.

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

• Seagull
                Seagull commented
                Editing a comment
                Absolutely great read and very much appreciated, Polo

Always nice to get historical information about things,but then again i do like that historical info.

about historical info,

about the deventer bridge ,3 puzzles back
              here is that info Clipper ,about shooting the film of a bridge to far using the Deventer bridge
              in the production part you can read that

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Bridge_Too_Far_(film)

oh boy o boy
              i got to find another puzzle
              best regards Thijs

Comment

• Clipper
                Clipper commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Thijs. I have cycled over many bridges in the Netherlands including the ones at Nijmegen and Arnhem, but not the Deventer bridge. I have also cycled across the Afsluitdijk from Friesland to North Holland!

• janihudi
                janihudi commented
                Editing a comment
                And back over the Enkhuizerdijk?.
                There is just one time of fun 4cucling over a bridge.
                Freewheeling down when you reach the highest point.

• Clipper
                Clipper commented
                Editing a comment
                Unfortunately no. I did my big cycling adventures when I was in my 20s and now I'm in my 60s but who knows maybe I will return to the Netherlands one day and storm a few more dijks and bridges. Here's hoping.

oke lets see if it last till Easter

not my image,but i could had make the pic
              enough info for now

Last edited by janihudi; March 31st, 2018, 07:29.
              best regards Thijs

Comment

• janihudi
                janihudi commented
                Editing a comment
                maybe i can better skip this one.
                even for me i can't find anything about this logo.though i have seen it myself.
                but for whom want to try it, the ''normal '' image

but you can see it on GE, bad and you have to take the right year of GE,otherwise nothing there or an other sign of them.
                but i thought if they find a vegtable stand in Helsinki ,this must be easyer
            Working...
            X