No announcement yet.

What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tricky to find out the right place? I will give you some entertaining help. Watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PRGujbpRf0

The train is passing the Biaschina spirals shortly after 24 minutes.
    It will pass the passage we are searching at 40 minutes. The exact picture spotting place is at about 42,40 minutes.
    How is this place called?

By the way an amazing view of the Gotthard railway from the drivers cab of a locomotive.
    Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Wow,it's a challenge!
      ​Maybe the road twist could be la stada della Tremola? So we would be in Leventina valley....or anywhere else there are trains,mountains and Ralf.

Comment

• Ralf__
        Ralf__ commented
        Editing a comment
        La Strada della tremola is the old road from Airolo to the Gotthard pass. Train and highway are far deeper in tunnels here. So it is not the right place.
        But Leventina is a good guess, quite near to the correct place. Maybe it is better to identify the tunnels in the video. Compare them with the description of the Gotthard railway...

Somewhere about Goschenen?

Comment

• Ralf__
        Ralf__ commented
        Editing a comment
        Göschenen is the end point of the north ramp of the Gotthard Railway. But Mark was right, we are on the southern side. And you were also right, We are indeed in the Leventina Valley, somewhere between Airolo and Biasca...

Another try.Faido which seems to be a busy place for trains and roads trafic.There is also a twist road in its area.

Comment

• Ralf__
        Ralf__ commented
        Editing a comment
        Very good, Yves. Faido (755m) is close enough. Northbound trains have to climb from there first the Prato - spiraltunnel to reach Pardorea (851m), then they pass the Freggio - spiraltunnel (shortly after this one i took the picture), then the train reaches Rodi-Fiesso (942m). 11km later comes Airolo and the Southern entrance of the (now old) Gotthard tunnel. Freight trains and fast passenger trains do not take this route anymore, since the new tunnel (57km long) was opened at 01.06.2016.

Over to you!

Yves, maybe you did not notice, because it was only a comment on your last port, but you solved it! Your turn. Don't think to long about the next puzzle. The challenge is to solve, not to struggle too long about a very strange one...
      Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Dear Ralf
        ​Yes I read your post but last week I was in my deep countryside in Pays d'Auge where I am not well connected.We are not up-to-date in this area!!!
        So now a new puzzle:

Comment

• Ralf__
          Ralf__ commented
          Editing a comment
          Interesting. Winter, shortly before noon, looks like an abandoned monastery, but the closed shutters are in good shape, so i guess there is still something going on behind those walls. The monastery seems to be partly integrated in a rock. The building on the right edge looks abandoned, they have removed the shutters, but there are many lamps in front of the ground floor, maybe there is a restaurant, which is still in use... but where is it?
          Are we in France?

Yes we are in France. Not in Normandie. Your déductions are right. The village is well known for its church but even more for another reason

Comment

Is it the Trinity Chapel in St Emilion, in the Dordogne?

I can't entirely tell the difference between the Monolithic Church and the Trinity Chapel - but I'm assuming it's one of the two - or both!
          Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

I am not sure but Ithink it is the Trinity.Anyway it is Saint Emilion and I remember the taste of its wines. Over to you Mark

Comment

Mark dind't placed a new one.
              so i place one.

where is this marina?

and wich famous vessel is this?

(the single one)
              best regards Thijs

Comment

• yvneac
                yvneac commented
                Editing a comment
                WOW. A new puzzle as a Xmas gift.Thank you Thijs.
                As usual,first question, are we in Europe?

• janihudi
                janihudi commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes. You now. I don't go far.

Looking at these pictures I think we are in The Netherlands.
              The breakwaters indicate somewhere on a body of water with enough fetch to create waves, but not at the open coast.
              So that leaves the two great inland seas, Zuiderzee (aka IJsselmeer) or possibly the lee side of the offshore islands.

I venture a guess we are somewhere along the shore of IJsselmeer.

Comment

• janihudi
                janihudi commented
                Editing a comment
                no we're not there.
                the Zuiderzee and/or IJsselmeer are one and the same.
                when it was open ,it was called zuiderzee (salt water),when they had build the dyke (afsluitdijk) it became the IJsselmeer (a lake with fresh water)
                they build that dyke to protect Amsterdam for flooding, hunderds kilometers less dykes to maintaine ,a lake with freshwater, and a protected aeria for inpoldering (land reclamation) when you drive into those polders there is a sign ''Welcom at the bottom of the sea''
                other big waters are there in South West Netherland,Zeeland. with al the barriers wich i drove around with Ivy
                but we are not in the Netherlands

Since they upgraded it my Google Earth doesn't work properly on my ancient laptop, but I think this is Tuborg Havn, Copenhagen, and I think I can guess the vessel that is moored alongside there - a very special one.
              Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
              Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

• yvneac
                yvneac commented
                Editing a comment
                Something tells me you already must look for a new puzzle to post Ivy!

• janihudi
                janihudi commented
                Editing a comment
                Well there's goes the fun for the new puzzle
                Could you wait for 2 weeks to solve this?
                How did you found that so quick?

How did you found that so quick?
              Well, I worked backwards really, Thijs. When I saw you had posted a puzzle I thought "Oh good, now we'll have some fun." Then I looked at your Google Earth map and wasn't so sure - I had no idea where to start. At first I hadn't noticed your little note beneath the second image so didn't know which vessel you meant. The larger of the two sailing ships didn't seem big enough to match up with any of the Tall Ships I'd seen at Gt. Yarmouth.
              Then suddenly a big goldenTHOUGHT arrived. Thijs had told us that the buyer of the Janihudi had taken her off to Denmark where she was moored at a marina just outside Copenhagen. Could it be????????
              I looked again at your map and this time, seeing your little note,
              rushed to Google maps, crawled around Copenhagen a bit, identified the unusual breakwater shapes and then switched to the satellite version, enlarging it. And if that wasn't the Janihudi lying there then my name wasn't Wherrygirl. Gotcha!
              All very simple, you see.

Ivy

Comment

• janihudi
                janihudi commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes i had mentioned it, but that was 1.5years back.
                I was looking in danmark for a former race track at GE.
                And then i went to Copenhagen to see if i could find her. Spent also a 30 minutes for i found her

Wel over to you Ivy.
              best regards Thijs

Comment

I've not felt all that good since before Christmas. I feel no better now. Have discovered a piece of my back guttering is hanging down because of the gales. And the next person who wishes me a Happy New Year will be throttled with my own fair hands.

Where was this very old photo taken? (Don't think I've shown it before.)

Untitled by Ivy, on Flickr
                Ivy

Comment

• janihudi
                  janihudi commented
                  Editing a comment
                  first of all, a happy new year to you my dearest Ivy.
                  sad to hear about the guttering, more work to do.
                  also here are the big gales,so big that al the storm barriers are closed.
                  the big doors in Rotterdam too,last time for the need was 10 years back.
                  Today was the first time ever, that al the Dutch barriers were closed.

nope, feeling nothing around my neck so far.

first idea,south east Europe
                  Last edited by janihudi; January 4th, 2018, 01:24.
              Working...
              X