No announcement yet.

What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not Pontianak, but you are obviously in the right Country.
    The bungalowes in the foreground is a dead giveaway, since they indicate the origin of this town.

Comment

O.K., i think i got it. This should be Balikpapan, which is a bit south of equator.

Since it was not Pontianac, the only other city of Indonesia, which is directly on that line, is Bontang, but there where no matches in the pictures.
      After that i tried the city of Tarakan and wondered about the connection of the Dutch history and the bungalowes. But again no matches and soon the border to Malaysia. In the other direction i found Balikpapan with similar origins and i think we can see the same builings here:

Please confirm.
      Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Balikpapan is correct. In the province of East Kalimantan, Indonesia. It is abt. 1.5 degr. South of Equator.
        Equinox occurred 23. Sept. at abt. 0300 hrs. GMT this year, which means that the sun is in Zenith a bit after that at BPN, since it is on the way South now.

What is the significance of the bungalows??
        They are very typical Shell, who built their compounds in this same style anywhere in the tropics where they operated, be it in Indonesia, Brunei, Sarawak, Nigeria, or wherever.

Some of the earliest Oil Fields in the world was found in the area. In fact some of the early wells are still producing.
        Here is a picture of an abandoned field in SangaSanga, which is in the Mahakam Delta, a bit North of BPN:

Shell "created" Balikpapan and used it as their operating base. Later they set up a refinery here. (In the 1920s or early 1930s)
        It was very much a "Company Town" until 1959, when Shell was thrown out of Indonesia. That was also the year of my first visit to BPN.

This refinery is still active, now operated by Pertamina. Here is a picture of it:

Taken from a hotel room I occupied for more than a year, while working in BPN.

The Second World War in the Pacific was very much about access to these Oil Fields. When the US refused to supply Crude Oil to Japan they had to find supplies somewhere else.

I have just dug out a lot of pictures from the area, taken in 1999 and 2000, but they are all prints. I'll scan in some of them and post them in a new thread called "This is Indonesia"

Comment

OOps, I forgot to say; Over to you Ralf!!!

Comment

O.K., i thought so, but i was offline for the weekend. Let's try a next one. There is a big clue in the picture but i did not manage to load it up in high resolution so maybe you have to ask me for help. Maybe someone has some ideas earlier...

Where is this place???

Comment

We are further away from Equator, that is for sure. Somewhere around the dry belt. My first guess is Canary Islands, on the dry East side.
              To be more precise; Off Faro de La Entallada-Fuerteventura. The volcano will then be Mt. TEQUITAL.

Comment

Nice Guess! And not so far away at all. But it is more east and more north.
                On my version of the picture the name of the ship is visible on the life boat, but i think the complete name could lead directly to the place so i will start with the name of the homeport:

"ΠEIPAIEYΣ"

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
                  Nice Guess! And not so far away at all. But it is more east and more north.
                  On my version of the picture the name of the ship is visible on the life boat, but i think the complete name could lead directly to the place so i will start with the name of the homeport:

"ΠEIPAIEYΣ"
                  So the ship is registered in Piraeus, but so is something like 90% of all Greek ships.
                  We are in the Aegean somewhere, but which island???
                  Too late in the night for me to solve this one. Somebody else will probably do so by tomorrow morning. (My time)

Comment

I was going to make a guess for the island of STROMBOLI, but I'm not sure...

When I remember that island, it was taller and the sides of the mountain was steeper.
                    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

next wild guess; the island of Kythnos in the Aegean Sea, southern tip.

Comment

No bad guess! But i must admit that there are too many of similar islands in the Aegean Sea. Also my next clue is the name of the ship:

NONA MAIPH

Now it should be quite easy...

Comment

Oh, J-O, Stromboli is in Italy, a piece away from the Aegean Sea and from ships registered in Piraeus...

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
                            No bad guess! But i must admit that there are too many of similar islands in the Aegean Sea. Also my next clue is the name of the ship:

NONA MAIPH

Now it should be quite easy...
                            Yes that made it VERY easy. The ships name is actually Nona Mary:

And she is running between Alexandropolis and the island of Soas (Samothraki).
                            When the picture was taken she had left Kamariotissa and was off the North West coast. You can see Genoese watchtower and Mt. Fengari.

I did originally look at the northern islands due to the type of terrain, but didn't find a match. I didn't venture north of Limnos, however.

Comment

Nona Mary:

Comment

Confirmed! Well done and very precisely pointed out. For me the view of the ship was untypical, because it is not so common that you see life boats IN FRONT of the bridge.

I came to this idea, because the runner of my favourite pub and his family are from there: http://bierakademie-korntal.de/

So, it is over to you again, Ombugge.

Comment

Working...
                                X