No announcement yet.

What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sigve and Yves - it is not Sicily, nor is the photo that recent!

Dear all, I can't help thinking - with some amusement! - that if I had just used some random picture from the internet,supposedly more difficult to locate than one I took myself, you clever frequent puzzlers would have hit on at least the country by now! .

Hints and tips:
    - one strategy now could be to think where there might be military defences (but not in the UK, the Azores, France or Sicily which have been eliminated).
    - even if you hit on the country and even the area/town/city that was being defended, you will NOT have solved the puzzle! - indeed it starts to get interesting at that stage as you look for the exact location!
    - and don’t forget the important point I made in #5443 concerning a change since the photo was taken.

Comment

Only two areas on the Mediteranean have been ruled out, but is it Mgarr harbour on Gozo?
      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

• Seagull
        Seagull commented
        Editing a comment
        No it isn't Gozo!

I'm in the virtual Med shipspotting the cruise ships and super yachts at Monaco for the F1 weekend! Feel I was probably a bit mean to Sigve earlier and our Grande Dame Lady Wherrygirl last night ...for sure the puzzle pic isn't Gozo, but she was far too proper polite to also ask if that was even close... well it isn't ...head north and leave me to monitor the Med folks and enjoy a happy weekend. I've got you bookmarked on my iPad as well as the racing car timings
      Last edited by Seagull; May 29th, 2016, 08:28.

Comment

I'm thinking that it might be worth while trawling round the Channel Islands.
        Ivy

Comment

No! ALL the UK has been eliminated, which includes Channel Islands (and also nearby France is eliminated), so keep on going Ivy!

Comment

North Denmark or South Norway?I am wandering in this area for historical reasons but...in vain.

Comment

Ah, but the Channel Islands are not part of the UK, (as far as I know, unless they have changed things). They are a dependancy.
              Ivy

Comment

Oh yes, we had lots of discussion about that on various threads in CVF, and you and ombugge were rather expert as I recall! - these discussions might even have included one of my Mediterranean cruises on Serenissima when one couple, who travelled on Channel Island passports and are resident there, presented quite a challenge to the Moroccan officials who came onboard to check us all out individually and clear us for landing!
                Anyway, the CI along with IOM and any other bits and pieces of territory are hereby declared "UK" for "What place is this?" purposes only
                Last edited by Seagull; May 29th, 2016, 13:27.

Comment

Yves! AT LAST! - I had expected " Is it in Scandinavia?" as the first question in this puzzle!
                  You are sort of there! - but I'm not sure what one regards as north or south in Denmark though ...
                  Where are the miltary defences defending do you think?

Comment

I was thinking about the forts built during the WWI by Denmark.Maybe in Jutland.

Comment

Since this looks like a "High" gun position I presume it must be somewhere in the North of Denmark. Maybe in Nord-Jylland?

Comment

Not Jutland or Nord-Jylland but dates from just before WW1.

Comment

Originally posted by micctoh View Post
                          Hello all,

Regarding the posting of photos here in "What place is this ?" :
                          Thankyou very much for the encouragements. As I have been "retired" from work for a good ten years, I do have some time to
                          indulge in net activities to keep the mind active. I shall try to contribute when appropriate.

Dear Ombugge, Sir ! : your posts from and of Singapore is so good and accurate, that I have heard of at least 2 fellow Singaporean who raves over your posts.
                          The people of Singapore should make you an honorary Citizen ( if you'd accept ) for your efforts in publicising Singapore. You sound more
                          Singaporean than many of the natives (here). But going back to one's roots is always a good thing ! It will be hard for anyone to follow in your footsteps.
                          Thank you. When more Singaporeans read your posts, you may find Singaporean tourists to Aalesund dropping in on you with gifts of Durians or Laksa.
                          Thanks for the offer of citizenship and kind words about my posting from Singapore. I'm afraid I have to decline as I'm no longer a PR and have withdrawn both CPF and Medisave, with the clear understanding that my move is permanent.

Anybody coming by with Durian and/or Laksa will be welcome, although I don't know how they will be allowed to carry the Durian on the plane. That is even banned on the MRT and buses in Singapore. Should be in season now though.

If your travel take you to Aalesund, get in touch. (We may even offer a near authentic Singapore meal here)

Comment

Three artificial islands were built as a line of defense to protect Copenhagen harbour at the end of XIXth centuty.
                            This one seems to be Flakfortet.
                            http://zombieresearchsociety.com/archives/12505

Comment

Congratulations you've won, Yves! You have it exactly!

In addition to this Zombie link (!), you will find that Wikipedia has a good account of the history of the fort:
                              https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flakfortet

and here is the website for the island:
                              http://www.flakfortet.com/

I've actually visited all three of these island sea forts at various times.

Comment

Working...
                              X