No announcement yet.

What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see now, from Mark's splendid close up photo, that it isn't a copy of the altogether smoother-sculpted more realistic figure of the Stockholm version (which has two hands!) I can only assume that the intention in the Grebbestad sculpture is to convey the multifaceted aspects of Taube's art as composer, performer and poet. It seems to convey the music itself in a visual way, as well as the virtuosity of the performance. And interestingly it was that declamatory gesture of the outstretched arm that immediately suggested Taube to me even though the sculpture was so small in the puzzle picture.

I'll come up with something for the next puzzle tomorrow.

Comment

• PoloUK
      PoloUK commented
      Editing a comment
      I'd have thought that having three hands would be a definite advantage if you were trying to play that contraption.

• Seagull
      Seagull commented
      Editing a comment
      It certainly looks as if it would!

Here is your new puzzle picture:

Comment

Off the cuff; The entrance to Dover harbour??

Comment

• Seagull
        Seagull commented
        Editing a comment
        No, not Dover.

Is it Whitby? Something about the angles of the harbour walls seems familiar.

Later. No, second thoughts, it's not.
      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

• Seagull
        Seagull commented
        Editing a comment
        It's not Whitby.

Somewhere in the Açores?

Comment

With what appear to be forms of gun turretts facing out to sea and a very narrow passage, my wild guess is somewhere on the north-western coast of France or Scilly Islands?

Comment

Ah, nari has mentioned gun turrets (and I suspect ombugge might also have had that kind of thing in mind when he tried Dover)

That’'s progress, but this is not the Azores, France or the Scilly Islands.

Comment

Hello !

First post rather than a "Reply to "
            I'd like to put up the attached for viewing, somewhere in this world.

Comment

Welcome micctoh. Just give us time to solve Seagull's present puzzle pic., and then, although the winner normally then has the job of presenting the next puzzle, I'm sure that they will be pleased for you to take over that onerous task! But your photo has not appeared. We are unfortunately unable to upload images directly from our computer, they first have to be hosted on somewhere like Flickr, PicturePush or Photobucket and then we copy the code from there, paste it here and with any luck the photo appears. Do you know them? If not, just ask and someone will help you out.
              Ivy

Comment

Hello again !

Thanks for putting me right about posting photos in this thread. I presume that it is OK to post photos in other threads of the forum.
                I had chosen to post here because the harbour puzzle picture reminds me of the harbour from which my posted photo came.
                I had intend to follow-up with two more picture showing, amongst other things, a 3masted-ship(training) and even submarines !
                This harbour has similar WW2-gun-posts facing out to sea and curvaceous breakwater.

I'm off to putting pictures in photobucket, and then I'll try to get back here, or in another thread of this PILOT-GUIDES forum,

Comment

• yvneac
                  yvneac commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Welcome to CVF world and to our Chinese puzzle.

Hi micctoh. This sounds good - loads of interesting photos to come from you. Just post any of your photos in whichever thread they fit (have a good browse first as there are so many threads each with their own main topic). If you can't find one then start a thread of your own in whichever main forum it fits. I'm pretty sure we don't have one for submarines, so there's your chance! As to the three-masted training ships, I'm a pushover for the Tall Ships. I live not far from Great Yarmouth, a town on Norfolk's east coast, and each September they have a marine festival to which I go. There are all kinds of vessels, but always a visiting Tall Ship which is top of my list to go aboard.
                Leave this thread for the puzzle pics, but the ones you mention which Seagull's photo reminded you of can go anywhere they fit. If you wish you can always refer to the puzzle photo as being similar.
                I hope you will also post more photos of Singapore. I always followed Ombugge's but he has now deserted the place and returned to his roots - most inconvenient!
                By the way, when sharing photos from the Bucket, choose the IMG code to copy for here at CVF. Good luck.
                Ivy

Comment

• ombugge
                  ombugge commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I would also like to welcome a fellow Singaporean here on the forum.
                  You will find a lot of pictures from Singapore here. Many posted by me, but also by others.
                  There are lots of pictures of ships in Singapore port to be found in various forums and threads here as well.
                  Hope you can take over as the Singapore branch of the CVF family.

• Seagull
                  Seagull commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Welcome micctoh! Looking forward to seeing your photos and other contributions to our forum. I’ve just realised that you already posted some very interesting and thoughtful remarks in the "Hurtigruten ASA - news and comments" thread back in February, concerning Hurtigruten and the ports dispute. Thanks for that!

Can't find this harbour in Scotland.Is it in the UK?

Comment

The location is not anywhere in the UK.

Something I’ve only just found out and ought to mention - the harbour wall on the left side as you look at the picture has had a small extension added since I took this photo. It's made of blocks and is at right angles to the wall as shown here i.e. parallel to the end of the right hand side wall.

But of course you might just as easily come across earlier pictures like mine that pre-date this.

Comment

Hello all,

Regarding the posting of photos here in "What place is this ?" :
                    Thankyou very much for the encouragements. As I have been "retired" from work for a good ten years, I do have some time to
                    indulge in net activities to keep the mind active. I shall try to contribute when appropriate.

Dear Ombugge, Sir ! : your posts from and of Singapore is so good and accurate, that I have heard of at least 2 fellow Singaporean who raves over your posts.
                    The people of Singapore should make you an honorary Citizen ( if you'd accept ) for your efforts in publicising Singapore. You sound more
                    Singaporean than many of the natives (here). But going back to one's roots is always a good thing ! It will be hard for anyone to follow in your footsteps.
                    Thank you. When more Singaporeans read your posts, you may find Singaporean tourists to Aalesund dropping in on you with gifts of Durians or Laksa.

Comment

Re: Quiz location: Perhaps one should think along the lines of Seagulls Mediteranen cruises in later time?
                      Regards; Sigve.
                      ---
                      IF I WIN IN LOTTO, I COULD GO EVERYWHERE. WITH FRAM....

Comment

• yvneac
                        yvneac commented
                        Editing a comment
                        It is what I am trying to do since a while,(Sicily....) but can't find it.
                    Working...
                    X