No announcement yet.

What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you very much for your wishes, Nari and Yves.

After considering two of my photos that I thought were sufficiently puzzling, I quickly discarded both as I identified the place almost immediately on Google!
    However, try this one:

P1080430
    by Ivy, on Flickr

And, for a bonus point, what "fashion" is he wearing?
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Could it be a Pilgrim Father?
      If so,I vote for Leyde in the Netherlands which was their first harbour before reaching England.

Comment

I'm afraid it's neither, Yves. But, I admit, the dress is almost identical, probably due to the period. However, in the context of this puzzle it would be immediately recognised in the British history books!
        Ivy

Comment

17th century?
          Puritan men's fashion?
          England?

Comment

• yvneac
            yvneac commented
            Editing a comment
            Are the GREEN stockings and the purse important to identify this character?

There appears to be a lot more "puritans" inside. Is this some sort of museum for puritan history, or a puritan art collection?
          Maybe at the American Museum in Bath??

Comment

Now don't get too hung up on the Puritans. There is certainly an element of Puritanism in this matter, but it is only part of a bigger picture. Yves sounds as if he has found something significant with his question on GREEN stockings and the purse. But despite extensive research I can't account for the purse and can only say that the green stockings, in fact the general colour scheme of the outfit, would not be seen on any strict, self-respecting Puritan.
            17th century - yes.
            England yes, plus Scotland and Ireland. (Quiet, Ombugge )
            Museum, yes, but not of Puritan history.
            American museum anywhere, no.

Later: I realise I might have confused you when I said "England yes, plus......." I was thinking of the sphere of influence which this particular place refers to, but the actual building is in England.
            Sorry about that.
            Last edited by wherrygirl; March 2nd, 2016, 23:05.
            Ivy

Comment

• Ralf__
              Ralf__ commented
              Editing a comment
              Glad to hear about your eyes. Thumbs up! I spent hours on the site
              http://www.dayoutwiththekids.co.uk/
              , but did not find anything appropriate. Isn't this museum listed there?

Thanks Ralf.
            I had a good trawl through that site. Selecting the area I worked through everything there but could find nothing. There were references to museums, but not this one. Then under a very bland heading on the lines of What Is There To Do In ....... was a brief mention of a link, and there it was. But no-one would ever know. I knew which area to click on, but you don't - yet.
            Ivy

Comment

Could it be a silk or leather museum?

Comment

No, nothing like that,Yves.
                Ivy

Comment

My guess is that this is a Costume and/or Fashion Museum somewhere in England that specializes in costumes from the British Isles from the the Victorian age, or earlier.

Comment

No, Ombugge. The only correct bit in your try is "somewhere in England" and "or earlier". I would say much earlier. Victorian gentlemen appearing anywhere but on the stage dressed in that get-up would have received some very strange looks!
                    Ivy

Comment

• ombugge
                      ombugge commented
                      Editing a comment
                      "from the Victorian age, OR EARLIER".
                      OK. so we are not looking for a costume museum then. Have to look for something else that has to do with costumes or role play from an earlier age than the Victorian. This is not easy!!

Careful, you are going astray. Role play, no. That the costume is not present-day is certainly a strong clue, it leads you back into the past and we have already established that it is 17th century. But this building has a connection with a particular person very well known in English history and who has not had a particularly good reputation in the popular mind. But maybe he was not so bad as he was painted, as we say.
                    Ivy

Comment

It seems to be Oliver Cromwell's house in Ely.
                      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oliver_Cromwell%27s_House

Comment

Oh, very well done Yves. Been swotting up on English history?
                        Over to you now.
                        Ivy

Comment

• yvneac
                          yvneac commented
                          Editing a comment
                          You know Ivy that French and English history were in connection (for the best and the worst...).As for me Cromwell is not ugly even though he was not a "gentleman".Anyway it was an interresting puzzle.
                          Just one thing:why the green stockings were a clue?

• Ralf__
                          Ralf__ commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Well done, Yves. And yes, the place is on the site i was looking for and even the house is showing up if you are googling for pics. So i should have found it earlier using my method. I was not careful enough with my search...
                          Last edited by Ralf__; March 7th, 2016, 15:14.

• wherrygirl
                          wherrygirl commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Yves, our two countries have long had a love/hate relationship! And it was you who first raised the question of the GREEN stockings, (Comment on #5329) and I replied that no self-respecting strict Puritan would be seen in a colourful outfit, as they were mostly black-robed with just maybe a white collar. It was not a clue, except to warn you all off concentrating on the Puritans per se. Cromwell was a Puritan, but a little more relaxed.
                          And Ralf, not careful enough in your search? Tch, tch, that's not like our Ralf!

Play your game.Where can you see this one?

Comment

Working...
                        X